[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did he have to leave so soon? Hope Kanye does a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: 1482537491137.jpg (59KB, 517x606px) Image search: [Google]
1482537491137.jpg
59KB, 517x606px
Why did he have to leave so soon? Hope Kanye does a good job in replacing him...
>>
Wonder what Kanye's Blackstar will be like...
>>
>>74555614
This but unironically
>>
>>74555614
lmao
>>
>>74555614
>Kanye
You mean Young Thug
>>
>>74555707
XXXTENTACION unironically
>>
>>74555614
What do Kanye and Bowie have in common?

West hasn't explored anywhere near the amount of genres Bowie had in 12 years.

In 12 years here are all the genres they dabbled in:

Bowie (1967-1979): Baroque, Psychedelic, Metal, Glam Rock, Metal, Funk, Soul, Ambient, Kraut Rock, World.
West (2004-2016): Rap, R&B, Industrial (debatable)

If I'm forgetting any for either let me know.
>>
>>74555875
>industrial (debatable)
You're damn right it is.
>>
>>74555915
I don't consider him Industrial either but A lot of people call 'Yeezus' Industrial-Influenced so I included it.
>>
>>74555875
Dance pop, industrial, drum and bass, experimental rock, alternative rock
>>
>>74555935
yeezus is acid house and spoken word
>>
>>74555970
For Bowie or Yeezy?
(I'm assuming Bowie but I was only covering genres he did in his earlier career)
>>
>>74556034
Bowie
>>
>>74556277
In that case those genres weren't until later years. Only counting the first 12 years since that's roughly how long Kanye's solo career has been around.

Dance Pop was Let's Dance
Industrial was 1.OUTSIDE
Drum and Bass was Earthling.

Experimental could cover half his stuff.
Alt was Heroes maybe..?
>>
>>74555614
I actually want to talk about how I got into David Bowie.
I got into David Bowie in mid-2015. I listened to Ziggy Stardust, I listened to the second self-titled, I listened to Let's Dance, I listened to Young Americans. I really liked what I had heard, but I didn't delve as deeply into his discography as I intended to.
Come January, I heard he had released a new album. I was pretty excited, since I'd enjoyed those albums so much, so I listened to it the day after it came out.
I was... Actually kind of blown away by Blackstar.
this is before i had listened to any kind of jazz at all, but disregard that for a moment
I enjoyed it immensely, even though it was nothing like what I normally listened to at the time (which itself was very unlike what I had listened to the year before, and so on and so forth). I was like "Oh man, now I'm pretty excited for whatever he comes up with next!"
Turns out what he came up with next wouldn't be released for a while.
He died the next day.
...goddammit i made a pun
So yeah, that... Sucked. Got into him right as he passed away. I promptly decided to try and mend my lack of understanding of Bowie by listening to all of his albums in chronological order.
...which i didn't get around to until this year
Earlier this year, I got my wisdom teeth taken out. On the drive to and from the dental surgeon, I played every David Bowie album from the first S/T to Young Americans and discussed them with the person who was driving me. I didn't get knocked out for the procedure, only did laughing gas and anesthesia, so I was still lucid for the drive home.
of course the discussion made me bleed into my mouth but whatever
After that, I listened to the rest on my own, about an album a day, until I hit Never Let Me Down.
Tonight and Never Let Me Down are easily my least favorite David Bowie albums. Never Let Me Down in particular. The only Bowie album I would give any lower than a 5/10.
It's a strong 2.
will continue in a moment, post too long
>>
>>74556673
Thanks for the blog post faggot, didn't know i was subscribed to your shitty log.
>>
>>74556673
I like it continue pls
>>
File: Low.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Low.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
>>74556673
So I took a break and listened to some other stuff, mainly jazz, and then when I came back I started with the Tin Machine stuff.
Wow.
Just... Such a breath of fresh air compared to Never Let Me Down.
Tin Machine II is absolutely incredible.
After that was Black Tie White Noise, which I was pleasantly surprised by after hearing people call it his worst work of the 90s.
I mean, it's definitely my least favorite, but that doesn't mean it's bad at all.
i did skip buddha of suburbia, might check that out soon
1. Outside was fucking amazing.
Earthling was also great.
Hours... Alright lemme be clear here, I love Hours more than most people do. It's very touching and heartfelt and... I dunno, I just think it's beautiful.
Heathen's okay.
Reality, though. Reality was another time I just took a break.
Not because it's bad, but because I just kept replaying it over and over. I think Reality is his best work after Let's Dance and before The Next Day.
I still have to listen to The Next Day. I always put it off for tomorrow.
That wasn't a joke, but it sounds like one, so whatever.
Overall, I think Bowie is one of the most consistently good musicians out there. Aside from the first self-titled (which I don't mind, it's fine, just not something I'd listen to very often) his discography between the second S/T (AKA Man Of Words/Man Of Music or Space Oddity) and Let's Dance is genuinely all incredible. And then after Never Let Me Down it's just nothing but hits again. He had two bad albums and one mediocre album in 39 years of them.
Well unless you count David Live. Which I don't. Nobody should.
He became my favorite musician this year. I'm glad I listened to his albums, even if I was late. Seriously one of the greatest talents of the 20th and 21st centuries.
My favorite albums of his are Low, Aladdin Sane, Hunky Dory, The Man Who Sold The World, and Lodger. Low in particular is perfect. It made it into the tenth spot of my top 100 albums list I made about two months ago.
>>
>>74556673
>>74556883
nice.
>>
>>74556438
I'd say Reality was alternative rock.
>>74556883
I should clarify that I say "mainly jazz" because I had also ended up listening to A Love Supreme around the same time and wanted to explore the genre.
>>74556697
I'm bi, so I'm indeed a faggot. Good job guessing! Try and find a better way of insulting me, though. I hate myself enough that I've called myself everything in the book, you'll have to be pretty creative.
>>
>>74556883
Hunky Dory is masterpiece so is Lodger and Ziggy Stardust. I actually enjoy Never let me down don't know why a lot of people hate it. Tonight is a 5/10.
>>
>>74556987
I dislike it because it just lacks... Any sort of impact at all. At least Tonight has Blue Jean. At least the first S/T has Little Bombardier. NLMD has nothing. And it created the Glass Spider tour. The less said about that the better.
I don't know, maybe a re-listen would change my opinion, but I'm still not at the stage where I'm ready to re-listen to it.
>>
I listened through all of Outside today and I have to say I was pretty disappointed with it. Any other album from around that time period I should try or are they not worth it?
>>
>>74557120
The Buddha of Suburbia
>>
>>74557120
I liked a lot of his 90s output.

Personal Ranking:
Earthling > Black Tie > 'hours...' > Buddha > 1.OUTSIDE.
>>
>>74557120
Really? How were you disappointed, if you don't mind me asking?
Also, similar to >>74557176, my ranking:
1. Outside > Hours > Tin Machine 2 > Earthling > Black Tie. I haven't listened to Buddha Of Suburbia yet.
>>
File: jv4mjY3.gif (2MB, 361x281px) Image search: [Google]
jv4mjY3.gif
2MB, 361x281px
>>74557086
Blue Jean is such a great 80's song so is Modern love.
>>
>>74556673
>>74556883
>>74556954

Dude chill the fuck down, you're bordering on retardation
>>
>>74557216
I like you
>>
Does anyone have a link to the thread on Bowie's death? I really want to read it.
>>
>>74557235
Modern Love was the first Bowie song I'd ever heard. It was on an 80s CD my mom had that also had Another One Bites The Dust on it. Very good selection of music, even if I can't remember the names of the other tracks.
>>74557248
I'm too heavily caffeinated right now to chill.
>>74557254
I like you too, random internet person!
>>
>so soon

He was like 70, he didn't have much more left in him.
>>
>>74557302
search the archive
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/
>>
File: Trent-Reznor-Frowning.jpg (121KB, 1000x515px) Image search: [Google]
Trent-Reznor-Frowning.jpg
121KB, 1000x515px
Kanye want be bowie till he does a collaboration with tront
>>
Diamond Dogs was his best album
>>
>>74555875
I honestly have no idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jan/19/kanye-west-david-bowie-covers-album
>>
>>74560137
We don't need another Bowie. We need new, original music. Not people filling in the shoes of someone who's gone.
>>
>>74555975
What the fuck
>>
kanye like all black artists, has failed to evolve beyond his original genre.

he aint shit compared to bowie
>>
>>74555875
bowie did drum n bass/jungle too
>>
>>74561675
kys
>>
>>74561708
nice rebuttal, I bet you're black
>>
>>74561675
Bro Quincy Jones
>>
>>74561759
wrong twice
must happen to you a lot
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.