[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ragtime >jazz >hip hop >blues >rock Is there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: 81-31tSTZyL._SL1200_.jpg (311KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
81-31tSTZyL._SL1200_.jpg
311KB, 1200x1200px
>ragtime
>jazz
>hip hop
>blues
>rock

Is there a genre or black music white people HAVEN'T tried to co-opt?
>>
Fuck that album cover
>>
Whats wrong with different people playing music?
>>
>>74528068
that tends to be the flow of western music, white people catching on to genres made by black people, and this can be seen from the rolling stones to jake paul. as long as western music exists, it'll always happen
>>
polyrhythmic bongo circles
>>
>>74528175

willie nelson, woody guthrie, hank williams, and kurt cobain were all just jocking black people huh? really makes me think
>>
>>74528259
woodie guthrie is your exmple of a white artist who didnt jock black ppl? lol. half of his songs are black folk songs with slightly changed lyrics.
>>
>>74528259
brainlet
>>
>>74528068
the real question is, is there a genre of music black people actually did create?
>>
>>74528259
i'm not saying all music made by white people is unoriginal, the artists you named are good examples of that. but consider artists like iggy azaelia or even elvis re-packaging black music in a way that it's more accessible to white people
>>
>>74528306

please, by all means, provide me some proof that "half" of his songs are just edits of black folk songs. i'm looking through his discography and not seeing it.

you know his dad was in the KKK and lynched a man right?
>>
>>74528334

the same thing happens to music of all cultures, almost every western genre is ripped off in Japan but you don't see complaints about that
>>
>>74528407
i think the reason that nobody really complains about that is that japanese music (especially j-pop) has developed its own distinct sound compared to western music
>>
>>74528259
No, but they were all talentless hacks.
>>
>>74528407
>but you don't see complaints about that

I do, actually
>>
>>74528599
>>74528521

>Those Pesky Japs Have Been Appropriating Synthpop Since 1985

an article headline you will never read
>>
>>74528521

>singing in a different language about the exact same topic with the exact same time signatures and influences is now a "distinct sound"

you should go work at pitchfork
>>
>>74528068
Traditional African music I guess. While it certainly has been played by white people, it hasn't been as copied as the genres you've mentioned
>>
File: uhhh.jpg (4KB, 236x177px) Image search: [Google]
uhhh.jpg
4KB, 236x177px
>>74528363
>the last part
>>
>>74528694
style, not lyrical content. time signature in invalid because rarely ant popular music globally isn't in 4/4, and the influences are the same but asian pop music is distinguishable from western pop on many more levels than just language
>>
>>74528388
>memeindustrial

define this please.
>>
>>74528068
electronic music
classical music
>>
>WE WUZ ALL DEH MUSIC N SHIET
yeah okay darkies
>>
>>74528363
>you know his dad was in the KKK and lynched a man right?
OMG so awesome. Sorry for questioning the epic whiteness of your favourite guitar-man
>>
>>74528971
The japs could though
>>
>>74528971
that's cause white people have no soul
>>
Just goes to show that white people are capable of creating music in any style, drawing influence from any source, pushing the confines of these genres and furthering the development of music as a whole. White people took a genre as simple as rock music and carried it in a hundred different directions that have lasted over half a century.
>>
>>74529410
I don't know what those are, but I can tell you probably think pop culture relevance is a metric of artistic relevance so I'm not going to engage. I'll just say, 90% of the music I listen to is rock-derived, and a good majority of that is contemporary, so it feels very alive to me.
>>
>>74528654
i've still seen plenty of people complaining about it, this isnt an argument
>>
>>74529669
>pop culture is important!
t. disco fan
>>
>>74529669
Let's be honest, that triggers you because you're a rap fan and you realize the genre has no value beyond its cultural association with black America and its current popularity. It's non-music relying on pop culture novelty. In contrast, rock music has time and time again subverted pop-culture, delving into the underground, remaining relevant based on its inherent musicality.
>>
File: 1497149942049.jpg (24KB, 528x465px) Image search: [Google]
1497149942049.jpg
24KB, 528x465px
>>74528971
>implying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzcAA6Qil3Q
>>
>>74530523
That wasn't a strawman tho, if anything it was an ad hom.
>>
>>74530628
>no fake argument knocked down
>"Let's be honest, that triggers you because you're a rap fan"

Maybe you need to google
>>
>>74530609
>>74530628
>>74530703
It's actually neither
>>74529669
because this poster had no argument to begin with
>>
>>74530799
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Read up buddy.
>>74530819
I said "if anything"
>>
>>74528388
ur a dumbo
>>
>>74528388
The genre isn't for people who are into post-irony and who easily "cringe" with "edgy" art like you. Go listen to whatever garbage this board has to offer please.

>>74528068
European folk music and western erudite music laid the ground to whatever popular music was going to come up with, black people didn't do anything so grandiose when you think about that.
>>
>>74530799
If you honestly believe him attacking your post based off your perceived character(saying you're only upset because you're a rap fan) or the character of the music he's "arguing"(saying it has no value beyond being associated with black people or is "non-musix") is more strawman than ad hom then you're thick as a brick.
>>
>>74530953
?
Don't quite understand what you mean m8
>>
>>74530928
what makes pharmakon bad industrial? im pretty sure the only reason your deriding her work is because she's more popular than your favorite industrial artist.
>>
>>74528118
why
>>
>>74531497
Most people don't like her because she's extremely tame & her concepts, however grand they seem, are executed within a neat lil package that doesnt push any boundaries & meant to not polarize any fans.
I somewhat like her work but personally, I'm still waiting for her to actually do something interesting instead of just putting out boring death industrial.
>>
>>74531497
It's just because she's a woman. Toxic men you see...
>>
you can't fucking own a genre
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.