[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ignoring the Beatles copypasta and other memes in general, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 11

File: Piero_Scaruffi_(2016)_(cropped).jpg (16KB, 220x302px) Image search: [Google]
Piero_Scaruffi_(2016)_(cropped).jpg
16KB, 220x302px
Ignoring the Beatles copypasta and other memes in general, what do you think about him as a music critic? Granted, you don't necessarily have to agree with the stuff he says to like him as a critic, as long as you find his reviews interesting, well thought out and good written.
>>
>>74526817
He is a contrarian hack. A living meme, no one outside this board gives a fuck about his music reviews.
>>
he's a homo
>>
he is smarter than every single one of you

he's also a confident and passionate Italian man

you nerds have nothing on him

keep projecting
>>
I like him and find his reviews interesting although I often disagree with them
I also read the Beatles rant in its entirety for the first time recently and it's very well-written
>>
>>74527048
>Defending some random italian pedo this hard

If I didn't know better I'd think you were a compound media subscriber.
>>
People dont realize how heavily mistranslated most of his site is. Plenty of artist pages where the Italian half is a wall of text and the English half is three sentences
>>
>>74527080
nothing wrong with being a pedo, anon
>>
>>74527069
>I also read the Beatles rant in its entirety for the first time recently and it's very well-written

You're a fucking idiot. It's the most pretentious shit.
>>
>>74527080
>Defending some random italian pedo this hard
okay but it's the truth

>If I didn't know better I'd think you were a compound media subscriber.
The fact that I literally do not know what you mean by that tells you I'm not
>>
>>74526846
he's been very influential in italy
>>
He's maybe the most coherent rock critic, but really who cares about rock?
>>
>>74526846
>t. Radiohead fan

He's listened to tens of thousands of albums. He's great because he has vast music knowledge and isn't payed off. He has brought a lot of hidden gems to the spotlight.
>>
Scaruffi is my idol.
>>
>>74526817
>and other memes in general
What constitutes "other memes"?

> The 60 something Tangerine Dream albums he rated but clearly didn't listen to?
>The choice to review rock instead of classical and jazz cause he'd get called out for knowing fuck all about articulating his opinions on them?
> The backwards ass perspective on jazz where he says he doesn't like live records(which are arguably as important as studio records to most jazz fans) and generally prefers heavily composed studio records(while simultaneously overrating a bunch of semi-obscure "live in studio" improvised free jazz)?
>The scarcity of music analysis in 95% of his reviews?
>His ridiculous self aggrandising views on music criticism in general?
>>
>>74527091
OP and also Italian here: I'm pretty sure Scaruffi writes the English part and lets others translate it in italian: for example, in the review of Death Grips' last albums, the italian side is missing and there's a "Want to translate this? Contact me here" in the right column.
I don't know if it's always like this or he just writes in whichever language he feels like to, but the italian side is always less mean-spirited and more objective. The Beatles commentary is completely different and also nowhere near as "strong".
>>
>>74527420
I like Italy
>>
i dont give a shit about him like most other critics. this board only latches onto him because he likes pseudo-obscure rubbish
>>
>>74527407

>>> The 60 something Tangerine Dream albums he rated but clearly didn't listen to?
What makes you believe he didn't listen to them? He wrote reviews for all of them in Italian.
>>The choice to review rock instead of classical and jazz cause he'd get called out for knowing fuck all about articulating his opinions on them?
In his own words: "I have chosen not to write about classical because many better critics have before me." he chose to do rock music because he felt that most rock critics are trash whereas there are already plenty of good classical critics.
>> The backwards ass perspective on jazz where he says he doesn't like live records(which are arguably as important as studio records to most jazz fans) and generally prefers heavily composed studio records(while simultaneously overrating a bunch of semi-obscure "live in studio" improvised free jazz)?
Nothing wrong with this and he explains it well.
>>The scarcity of music analysis in 95% of his reviews?
What do you mean?
>>His ridiculous self aggrandising views on music criticism in general?
He doesn't do this. People like you get scared by opinions that confuse you and go against the grain and so you conflate it with pretentiousness. Scaruffi has literally never once claimed to be objective and I dare you to find a time he has.
>>
File: pepelli.png (84KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
pepelli.png
84KB, 500x498px
>>74527091
I should learn Italian
>>
>>74527107
"Pretentious" is such a bullshit buzzword used around here
Just because he doesn't like something that's really well-liked doesn't mean he's pretentious
>>
>>74527511
that's not the reason why people call him pretentious newcunt
>>
Contrarian.
But the fact that he does reviews so people are able to find discover music and that the other part of his site is about the history of music puts him above other critics.
The way he puts some reviews in Italian and others in English is odd tho.
>>
He's ok, I often disagree with him but he's maybe the best music critic I know, music critics suck in general
>>
>>74526817
The homosexual lobbies are so powerful in the USA that they are even distorting history to prove their points. Sometimes i feel there is an odd conspiracy theory not only to prove that homosexuality is "natural" (which is weird enough for anybody who has a biological definition of "natural") but even that everybody should become gay.
>>
I am italian, so i can tell the differences between the two columns

I think that he values more the art and meaning of the music piece than the melody itself. It's like he's reviewing a work of visual art, he likes reasonate works and deep meaning, obviously linked with music and his history. He likes deconstructions and appreciates albums that changed the canons of music.

I think that understanding all of this about him is necessary to appreciate his reviews. Obviously one can disagree with him, and i especially disagree, for example, with this poor consideration of melody and musicability of songs.
Sometimes it's like reading someone that likes dadaism art works but shits on the classical and renaissance paintings.
>>
>>74527420
But the text doesn't match! He talks about different things.
>>
>>74526817
I like looking at his site to get basic ideas of albums. Once you understand his taste a little, you can use his site to gauge which albums you may like. Because of his huge repository I found quite a few things I would not have found otherwise. His actual reviews can be quite poetic, but at other times it's best to take his views with a grain of salt.
>>
>>74527728
What's this got to do with Scruf, or are you just quoting him? Anyway it needs to be said that everyone distorts history to support their point. History is everyone's bitch and is dropped when it contradicts your worldview.
>>
French reader here : somehow, his chronology of french literature is probably the best i've ever seen (online at least).

No idea how he actually does it... Same thing goes for his poetry lists.
>>
>>74526916
Thank God.
>>
>>74527486
>What makes you believe he didn't listen to them? He wrote reviews for all of them in Italian.
The commercial intent is also demonstrated by the number of individuals (in 1979 Force Majeure, 1980 Tangram, 1981 Chronozon, 1983 Cinnamon Road and Daydream, 1985 Madchen, 1987 Dancing On A White Moon, ...). And then the 12 "will come:" Dr. Destructo (1981), Die Melodie (1982), Warsaw In The Sun (1984), Flashpoint (1984), Streethawk (1985), Dolphin Dance (1987), A Time For Heroes , Tyger (1987), Marakesh (1988), Optical Race (1988), Alexander Square (1989), I Just Want To Rule My Own Without You (1991), Dreamtime (1993).

Most of those "reviews" you're referring to involve listing a bunch of albums accompanied by a blanket statement that says almost nothing about the content of the music.
>I have chosen not to write about classical because many better critics have before me
Deadly. Scaruffi's own words confirming that he doesn't know enough about music to review classical works.
>Nothing wrong with this and he explains it well
Sure, the man can like whatever the hell he likes, but it's a fucking trash opinion to have from a jazz culture perspective and is a big part of why actual jazz fans around /mu/ don't take him seriously.
>What do you mean?
Most of his "reviews" are a sentence or two long and have no actual analysis. Most of the time, the majority of the review consists of the album title and year of release. See the above Tangerine Dream "reviews" as an example.
>He doesn't do this
Read his eassay on the "importance" of art critics.
>People like you get scared by opinions that confuse you and go against the grain and so you conflate it with pretentiousness.
I enjoy most of the albums he likes and he's introduced me to a lot of interesting artists. I just think he knows fuck all about music criticism and has built that database largely as a vanity project. So yeah, I guess he is pretentious in the traditional sense of the word.
>>
>>74527487
(OP again)
It will be hard, it's a complex language. But feel free to link me some of his work that you want to see translated and I'll try my best to translate it ASAP.
But still learn it anyway so you can listen to Uochi Toki
>>
I disagree with him often but best music critic of all time easy
>>
>>74527511

I guarantee people have called you pretentious before. Scaruffy is the definition if pretentious. He's an old, out of touch idiot who doesn't even listen to full albums before "rating" them. If you admire him because he's "smart" then you're shallow and pretentious.
>>
>>74528077

>who doesn't even listen to full albums before "rating" them

not true
>>
>>74527285
Can you give some examples
>>
>>74528129
, by the way)
>>
>>74528391
His number one album of all time
>>
>>74528129
>>74528454

Newfags please leave.
>>
>>74528896

hating on Scaruffi is the easiest way to out yourself as a newfag, actually

also not an argument
>>
>>74530284
if you haven't outgrown all critics especially scaruffi you're too young to stay here
>>
>>74530444

I'm 23

Scaruffi is the only rock critic that matters
>>
>>74530541
>I'm 23
kek case in point
>>
>>74527420
>OP and also Italian here: I'm pretty sure Scaruffi writes the English part and lets others translate it in italian: for example, in the review of Death Grips' last albums, the italian side is missing and there's a "Want to translate this? Contact me here" in the right column.

The stuff written in italian, unless it was translated by someone else, is usually more than 15 year old. Most of it comes from his 6-volume encyclopedia of rock music published in Italy in the 90s. It's been a while since he switched to english only.

>I don't know if it's always like this or he just writes in whichever language he feels like to, but the italian side is always less mean-spirited and more objective. The Beatles commentary is completely different and also nowhere near as "strong".

The original Beatles essay in his native language is more or less the same, and it's still very harshly critic. He even has a page on his website where he wittily responds to criticism on his analysis and BTFOs italian Beatles fans who wrote to him to complain.
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles2.html
>>
>>74530616

23 is too young to be on /mu/?
>>
>>74531026
Yeah it's all middle aged failures now roleplaying being young hipsters
>>
>>74527487

Unfortunately you have to speak italian too to get the whole scaruffi experience.
Most of his best writings are present on his website in italian only
>>
His top 100 are mostly all great albums and a bunch are stellar

He's also autistic as shit and is the literal definition of confirmation bias, everything has to fit the narrative that he's telling. He's also insanely biased with certain artists and pretty arrogant.
>>
>>74527152
Which means jack shit
I have an Italian friend who lives in a Rome
His favorite band is imagine dragons and all he likes besides them is dancehall

Literally the worst music taste of anyone I've ever met

He's a cool guy otherwise but fuck
>>
>>74531055

What "narrative"?

These are the things that are consistent with Scaruffi:

>rock criticism as a whole is shit and merely a hype machine, which he tries to offer a counter to by exposing less popular good artists and not blindly praising pop artists
>innovation and emotion are the most important things in music and often go hand in hand

that's basically it.
>>
>>74531177
Well that seems like a narrative. Not everyone thinks innovation for innovation's sake is good.
>>
File: refrigerators.png (455KB, 1075x576px) Image search: [Google]
refrigerators.png
455KB, 1075x576px
http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/romansex.html

>Especially now that the West is on a mission to convert the world to gay marriage, there is a lot of discussion about the origins of the Christian puritan ideology (often forgetting that equally puritan practices have prevailed in the Islamic world, in India and in China, to name just the big ones) comparing it with a more promiscuous world in ancient Rome and Greece. Wikipedia articles are particularly misleading about Roman and Greek sexuality (allow me to suspect that they have been edited by people with a political agenda).

>First things first. As far as one can tell from widely public documents, homosexuality in Greece and Rome was mostly practiced between an older man and a much younger boy (typically, 12-14 years old). Today this is considered a terrible crime, but then homosexuality in general was considered a terrible crime when i was a child and now gay marriage is being legalized in the very same places, so i wouldn't be too surprised if in the future sex between and adult man and a teenage boy will become legal and even commonplace again.

>>74531227

It isn't for its own sake, it is for furthering the course of music as a whole.
>>
>>74531082
> Implying people with this kind of musical taste don't exist in every city of every country ever
>>
>>74531047
This is actually very accurate
>>
>>74530444
the critic pandemic here is really sad desu, on /tv/ and /v/ critics and ratings are almost always used to shitpost. here there's a lot of people who legit take them seriously, and use them as guidelines on what to like and listen to

s@d
>>
>>74527152
>>74531177

Before Scaruffi italian rock music criticism has always been very british-centric. Italian critics used to hail every lesser band that came out of the UK while totally ignoring many great artists from the USA, Germany, Japan or Australia.
Now also thanks to him we have a new generation of music critics who love stuff like kraut rock or the great US independent rock scene of the 80s-90s.
>>
>>74526817
I think that his recommendations are very interesting. I enjoy his website.

Also, accusations of him being a pedophile, once you read the full article of "that quote" in context, are clearly slander.
>>
I like him, but at times I disagree with his opinion
(Coil is the best, fuck you Scaruffi)
>>
File: 1473945839548.png (1MB, 1452x1734px) Image search: [Google]
1473945839548.png
1MB, 1452x1734px
rufi a real OG hitta
>>
>>74528391
Impossible Nothing
>>
>>74532502
Amazing
>>
>>74527092
Lol what
>>
>>74526817
He's right 90% of the time in regards to music. You can usually tell when he's talking out of his ass but even in those instances I can see where he's coming from.
>>
the one thing I like about him is that he refuses to give anything a 10/10 because it's literally impossible for a piece of music to be 'perfect' and this agrees with my autism
also I like that he gave TMR a 9.5/10

other than that he is completely full of shit
>>
>>74532761
>the one thing I like about him is that he refuses to give anything a 10/10 because it's literally impossible for a piece of music to be 'perfect' and this agrees with my autism
no he will give a ten to a popular music album when it's on the same quality as jazz/classic masterpieces. he doesn't agree with your autism
>>
>>74532806
o really?
which classical pieces has he given a 10? i hope schubert's string quintet in c major is one of them....even though technically it should be a 9.9
>>
>>74532860
he doesn't rate art music
>>
>>74532880
so then he doesn't give classical music 10s so you fucking lied to me so he DOES agree with my autism
quit pullin me for loops anon
>>
File: 1494166206200.png (88KB, 568x548px) Image search: [Google]
1494166206200.png
88KB, 568x548px
>>74532893
you know what? whatever. it doesn't matter. fuck YOU and fuck THIS thread.
>>
>>74528391
the river, desertshore, faust, popol vuh, Trout fucking mask fucking replica
>>
>>74533072
>people wouldn't know trout mask and faust without scaruffi
do you believe this
>>
>>74533072
if you learned about any of those thru scaruffi you're clueless
>>
Everybody hates scaruffi at first. How could he give my favourite album a 6????

But everybody comes around eventually.
>>
Seems cool to kiddies that are especially new to /mu/ or exclusively use the opinions of others on the internet to discover new music. But the further you break his writings apart, the more one realizes how full of shit they are.

https://factorysunburst.wordpress.com/2014/08/31/piero-scaruffi-and-truth/

^that's a good piece on how full of shit the guy is even though I don't share the tastes of the author.

Only musicology pieces are worth reading in the realm of music. Pop journalist garbage like P4K or Christgau or its blog-like equivalents like Scaruffi are a waste of one's time, more full of pretty words and falsehoods than anything substantial.
>>
>>74533506

I learned about those from him, but 20 years ago, when they were a lot more obscure than today and the internet was still relatively new and rudimentary.
>>
>>74528474
>>74532546
>>74533072
Those were all well known before Scaruffi
>>
>>74532502
jej
>>
>>74534042

We are not talking about commercially successful artists, that's for sure.
but still, he popularized them among younger generations.
>>
>>74534327
Bullshit. Most people don't read Scaruffi. The fact you think Trout Mask Replica isn't well known shows how clueless you are.
>>
honest, experienced music fan who reviews music for his passion instead of money, political agenda or youtube clicks.
>>
>>74534428
this
>>
>>74533506
Who cares about that though ? One is most likely to find about Beefheart on the internet, may it be one site or another...
>>
If he really listened to all the music he reviewed then nobody is allowed to call him contrarian until they do that as well. I don't agree with him like 70% of the times but he is a good critic tbqfh
>>
>>74533647
All Scaruffi fans should read that post. It's actually amazing how seriously he's taken here given how much shit he talks.
>>
>>74534406

I'm not saying that he was the only one to talk entusiastically about certain albums like Rock Bottom, Hosianna Mantra or TMR.
But many people discovered them thanks to him. He has been active on the internet for many years before /mu/, RYM or other popular music websites were even a thing.

btw, TMR still remains a niche album. So much that it's currently out of print.
>>
>>74527048
>confident
>hover hand

What did Scaruff-anon mean by this?
>>
>>74535731
>>74533647

samefag

no one cares about your blog where you cry about the Beatles fag
>>
File: Friends of piero.png (77KB, 715x942px) Image search: [Google]
Friends of piero.png
77KB, 715x942px
How autistic is this?
>>
Bad writer, bad historian, but the actual albums he praises are almost all solid
>>
> TMR 9.5
He's a joke
>>
>>74538745
it's his #1 album of all time what do you expect
>>
>>74526817
>underrates beethoven's 4th symphony
Yup, that's trash.
>>
>>74538745

it should be a 10
>>
File: download.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
Hey this is pretty good, thanks Scruf
>>
>>74534042
Scaruffi literally put Impossible Nothing on the map
>>
File: lol.png (15KB, 355x180px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
15KB, 355x180px
people like to pretend he doesn't make good points in his reviews, even though he can be a little too harsh on albums with pop sensibilities.
he BTFO's people's favorite albums and acknowledges them as the crap they are though, so it's only natrual nu-/mu/ will be assblasted by him.
>pic related.
>>
File: 1502578413108.png (129KB, 354x705px) Image search: [Google]
1502578413108.png
129KB, 354x705px
What's his problem?
>>
>>74539106
I think he says his problem in that picture
>>
File: Fuck off.jpg (21KB, 595x191px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck off.jpg
21KB, 595x191px
>>74538945
How's he even making any actual points in that "review"? He just says it's mediocre, they sound like reworked b-sides to other records, and it's only worth it for the lyrics. Like, the dude doesn't even talk about the actual music or anything with the closest being the "reworked leftovers" bit which itself has zero context to work from so it's just as meaningless as the rest of the garbage.
>>74538054
Even if that blog was me, there's not a damn falsity in it related to Scaruffi. I only posted it because I don't want to dedicate my time extensively to writing about how shitty the guy is.

Scaruffi is only meme tier, and can lead to some funny meme shit. I post him in that capacity as well. Hell, most of /mu/ at one point did as well. But in the recent year or so it just seems that people started unironically dickriding the guy.
>>
>>74526846
how is he contrarian besides hating the Beatles and hating Radiohead (the primary demographic he gets hate from)? In terms of /mu/core popularity, the only one's he didn't give a 7 to were MPP and Kid A
>>
>>74527080
He's not a pedo, some radiohead fags quoted him out of context using an analogy as to why he voted against gay marriage
>>
>>74527934
just because I don't write a review of everything I lay my fucking ears on doesnt mean he didnt listen to them you fucking retard. He did the same more or less with Merzbow. there's just too much shit to look at and ultimately some of it isnt worth speaking on
>>
>>74536634
he has made passionate love to more women than you will your entire life.
>>
File: 1478618471098.jpg (35KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1478618471098.jpg
35KB, 300x360px
>tfw want to hate scaruffi but 80% of the albums he loves you love

how do I grow out of scarufficore?
>>
>>74526817
>good written
His writing is better than yours at least, I'll tell you that much
>>
>>74533647
damn, he really triggered a radiohead fags autism pretty hard huh
>>
>>74539446
It's so shitty that it's not even worth talking about. There's no reason to analyze a pile of shit when it's clearly terrible. He's right. Read the Impossible Nothing review if you want to read a recent review of where he actually talks about music
>>
>>74539449
Kanye West, Bjork, David Bowie, several Kendrick albums, just off the top of my head he decided to shit on.
>>
>>74539885
>MBDTF and TCD
>Homogenic and Debut
>Heroes
just because he shits on someone being overrated doesn't mean he doesn't like some of their works. Anything above a 7 is decent in his book
>>
>>74527481
/thread
>>
>>74539851
>It's so shitty that it's not even worth talking about. There's no reason to analyze a pile of shit when it's clearly terrible.
But its not even mentioned what makes it so terrible. Which makes sense from his perspective since the site exists mainly for him to record his own thoughts, but is still terrible writing. If it was truly not worth writing about, he wouldn't have even spent time writing out so much about the record, maybe just three words like he does for some albums.

>Impossible Nothing
Dude just gives the most surface level one sentence description for each track. That's pitiful and lacks any real analysis. Shitty pop garbage.
>>
>>74539723
You aren't exploring music all that much on your own if you're still stuck on those.
>>
He's not much smarter than Christgau although at least he doesn't have a retarded anti-metal bias.
>>
>>74540052
>calls Impossible Nothing shitty pop garbage
holy fuck how much a butt blasted Frank Ocean redditor do you have to be
>>
>>74540132
I don't care for either artist, the fact that you have to bring up that I dickride Ocean shows how lost you are in this argument. Not only that, the fact that you thought I was referring to the album and not the piece written by Scaruffi shows that you're fucking retarded. Literally in my first post in this topic, I already mentioned that pop journalism and its close ilk (so that, I'll say it again, includes everyone from P4K to Scaruffi to Christgau) is a waste of time to read and that the only things worth reading are analytical musicology pieces.

Please learn to respond like a coherent human being before you respond to me again. You waste both of our time otherwise.
>>
>>74540239
Pop music is contextual in nature which is why pop journalism sucks.
>>
>>74527511
oof you're fucking embarrassing
>>
>>74540239
>reddit spacing
>Look guys im so articulate! upvote me!
no need to hide it buddy
>>
>>74540266
I guess the better way to put it is what Frank Zappa said, pop music is really the soundtrack to a particular subculture of people. Because of that and the contextual nature of it, in order to properly appreciate a song or artist, you need to be part of the respective subculture it represents.

And that is why pop journalism sucks, because music critics like Christgau are usually urban alternahipsters which means they're good at writing about that kind of music; it speaks to their demographic and they "get" it, but when the music is something like metal that serves as the voice of a completely different audience, they fall to pieces and don't understand what it is or what it's trying to accomplish.
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.