[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is post-punk so lauded and praised? Like what the fuck, it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: cover.jpg (43KB, 491x500px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
43KB, 491x500px
Why is post-punk so lauded and praised? Like what the fuck, it's so boring and all sounds the exact same.
>>
Sonic Youth has some classic albums, some good ones, and some pretty awful ones. That one is good.
>>
>>74519747
Yeah man, XTC and Joy Division TOTALLY sound the same.
>>
>>74519747
>post punk
>Sonic Youth

Also post punk after 2000 sounds the same, for most of its existence it has been fine
>>
>>74519747
Nig wat t fuk
Listen to the pop group, joy division, brainiac, and then this again.
>>
>>74519847
>brainiac
my dude
>>
File: gov.jpg (3KB, 176x176px) Image search: [Google]
gov.jpg
3KB, 176x176px
Is this post-punk?
>>
the only post punk album SY made was evol and it was probably the best album in the genre since it didn't heavily rely on post production tactics. daydream nation doesn't sound like anything else and if you think it does rec me it because i'd love to hear a good noise rock album that isn't pure retarded math rock wank trying to make up for it's lack of conventions
>>
>>74520008
what do you mean by post production tactics? i've heard that before but i dont get it
>>
>>74519747
Its essential poseur core genre. Its very "aesthetic" so its endlessly glorified by faux art fags
>>
I wouldn't say they all sound the same. But I will say they're mostly boring.

Take punk and strip away any sense of urgency or aggression, and you're left with whining.
>>
Post-punk is literally almost too diverse. I usually struggle to find new stuff that sounds like what I love.
>>
>>74520030
so you record a song, and it sounds like every ones playing their instruments but the music is ass so you add a little reverb, chorus, vibrato, etc. until the listener thinks it's good because they can't hear it very well. obviously production can be good like brian eno or my bloody valentine but a good song outshines most production techniques.
>>
>>74520008
>good noise rock album that isn't shitty math rock
there's a lot out there, I've been on that lately due to loving noise rock but hating math rock. check out:
Brainiac - Bonsai Superstar
Chrome - Half Machine Lip Moves
Big Black of course
Cows - Daddy Has a Tail
>>
>>74520129
oh I missed the "nothing sounds like Daydream Nation" bit, I agree and none of these sound close but you might dig them anyway
>>
>>74520127
thanks
>>
>>74520129
>>74520148
that's cool. been looking for some good noise rock/noise pop bands and i've only really liked swans, early SY, unwound, big black, and other pretty entry level shit. thanks
>>
>>74519747
Better question- why is Daydream Nation so lauded and praised? The only memorable track is Teenage Riot. Besides that, Confusion Is Sex and Bad Moon Rising are infinitely better.
>>
>>74520188
Confusion is Sex (personal fave SY) and Bad Moon Rising are better but Daydream Nation is still great. Aside from Teenage Riot, The Sprawl, Cross the Breeze, Hey Joni, Eric's Trip, Candle, Kissability, and Eliminator, Jr. all kick ass and the rest is far from unmemorable
>>
>>74520188
damn i want to agree with you because i've never met anyone that likes confusion is sex but daydream nation really grows on you. bad moon rising is the shit though
>>
>>74520188
Cross the Breeze is better than Teenage Riot.
>>
>>74520188
>>74520234
Confusion is Sex isn't very good.
>>
>>74520305
confusion is sex is better than your favorite album
>>
>>74520305
I love it
>>
>>74520323
this
listen to more No Wave, check out the rest of their early work too including the s/t EP
>>
>>74520343
i've already listened to everything several times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuRYoBEOMHI
>>
>>74520323
>>74520329
>>74520343
Making the Nature Scene and Confusion is Next have got to be Kim and Thurston's most annoying vocal turns ever, Freezer Burn goes nowhere, and Shaking Hell is pretty annoying too, but the rest is decent. Their real masterpieces are Sister, Experimental Jet Set, and A Thousand Leaves.
>>
>>74520409
i love the vocals on Nature Scene and Confusion is Next but different strokes for different folks i guess. Those three other albums are super underrated though
>>
>>74520409
experimental jet set, trash and no star goes fucking nowhere. winner's blues is probably the most interesting song. freezer burn is a weird broken drone song that builds great tension and shaking hell is the second best song on the album.
>>
>>74520522
EJS is fucking great. It represents a shift to conventional pop for them but you never know where a song will end up. Sure it's kind of samey and the lyrics especially from Thurston aren't the most inspired but only Starfield Road and In the Mind of the Bourgeois Reader are kind of lame but they're both pretty short. Screaming Skull in particular is really brilliant to me structurally, the way the guitar hook starts out short at the beginning but then play it 4 times at the end, then come back to the first hook. There are so many creative and beautiful moments on the album there are almost too many to name
>>
Imagine being THIS fucking stupid. It's a miracle how you even figured out how to work your computer to write this post.
>>
>>74520127
>thinks it's good

isn't that the end goal here? who cares about the means?
>>
>>74520008
Listen to mclusky, NOW
>>
Why is Goo so overrated? It starts out great but even the diehard fans rarely talk about anything after track 4.
>>
>>74521217
it's incredibly overrated but it was their big accessible commercial break and got a lot of people into the band
>>
>>74519840
>post punk after 2000
I don't think you know what 'post punk' is bud
>>
>>74521350
>>74521217
because it looks fucking great on a tee shirt
>>
File: goo tattoo.jpg (12KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
goo tattoo.jpg
12KB, 236x236px
>>74521623
the Confusion is Sex shirt is better, just like the album, but it's still good yeah
>>
>>74520188
I used to think that but Daydream Nation really grew on me. Bad Moon Rising and Confusion is Sex are strong and capture a similar apocalyptic feeling, but imo Daydream Nation really sells the scope and chaos of it all.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.