[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's does /mu/ think of Frank Zappa? He's gotta unique

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: zappa.jpg (94KB, 706x712px) Image search: [Google]
zappa.jpg
94KB, 706x712px
What's does /mu/ think of Frank Zappa? He's gotta unique sound in my opinion, but then again he kinda feels hipstery. What do you think?
>>
>>74519656
I like Zappa overall, but his composition style can be stiff at times.
>>
>>74519656
Legend
>>
Zappa is literally /ourguy/ if /mu/ was around in the 70s. He's the ideal contrarian.
>>
>>74519656
For all his work compositionally and politically people seem to forget how great of a guitarist he was.
>>
I like his 60s stuff a lot. Freak Out, Absolutely Free, We're Only In It For the Money, Uncle Meat, Lumpy Gravy, Hot Rats

I think in the 70s he got really lame and boring and kind of pretentious idk how to put it. Albums like Joe's Garage are just unpleasant to me. I like Beefheart better
>>
>>74520035
He is one of my favorite guitarirst of all the time, I really think that the time when Zappa really started to decline at the time he seemed to care more about writting "political incorrect" lyrics than good musical compositions as the ones in Hot Rats and One Size Fits All. Even in OSFA it kinda made a balance between excellent musical arrangements and satirical lyrics in many songs, but then he slowly seem to get consumed by the satirical themes and ended up with tnigs like Joe's Garage. This is why I think he only have some whorty albums.
>>
A guy at my workplace was talking about this album yesterday, and then went out to his car and gave me a cd copy of it to listen to this weekend. Is it worth it?
>>
>>74520289
if you've never listened to zappa before I wouldn't want you to get such a bad (imo) first impression of him. but if you're already familiar with him sure why not
>>
>>74520277
Joe's garage is a masterpiece lampooning scientology type cult-leaders, german sexual fetishs, and pre-PRMC authoritarian censorship, all with excellent musicianship and some otherworldy drumming from coliauta, Ike Willis fantastic vocals and his guitar masterpiece Watermelon in Easter Hay. Joe's Garage is fucking fantastic
>>
>>74520289
He has way better albums than this one, Hot Rats being the best example, but it really depends of your expectations in music generally, isn't great but it is a fun listen.
>>
LOVE THE MAN!
He was all over the place!
He never put out a bad record!
>>
>>74520119
He was on a roll few could match in the 60s.
The Schtick got old in the 70s though
>>
Zappa is incredible. There is some stuff I don't like, but the beauty of him is that he has such a huge catalog, you're bound to find something you like. My favorite song is probably For Calvin (and his next two hitchhikers). 69-73 & 79-81 are my fav eras.
>>
>>74519656
All his stuff with The Mothers is gold. The rest is hit or miss
>>
>>74519656
I think he's a good musician, but I could just never get into him because of the lyrics.
>>
>>74521950
i think it's funny how literal his lyrics are. there's very little subtlety.
>>
>>74519656
>but then again he kinda feels hipstery.

Are you 12? Also lurk more, we have Zappa threads everyday.
>>
>>74519656
racist
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.