[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it acceptable to write off entire, vast genres? Not subgenres,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: boat.jpg (161KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
boat.jpg
161KB, 800x600px
Is it acceptable to write off entire, vast genres? Not subgenres, but huge umbrella terms?

This question is primarily spurred by the several shitposters today saying all hip hop is awful, etc etc etc
>>
Yes. Hip hop just isnt good music. I dont know why its so hard to believe that people don't like it
>>
>>74492025
It's acceptable to write off entire genres if you don't enjoy the shared trait in that genre that makes it what it is

You should still take time to search for SOMETHING that appeals to you though
>>
Yeah, hip-hop is shit. The genre's greatest achievements are immature and juvenile at best. Also, it doesn't help that hip-hop fans are some of the worst spammers/shitposters on the board.
>>
>>74492074
so youre saying that out of the entirety of hip hop, that it is all objectively not good

thats kind of the core of what I am trying to get at, at a certain point its just ignorant to be so dismissive
>>
>>74492025
not liking something doesn't make it terrible, people have different tastes
>>
>>74492025
It's always impossible to listen to virtually every artist in within a genre.

So you go by the most prominent, the most popular and well known.

The argument of "w-well theres really good underground artists so the genre is good" doesn't fly and is really only made by teenagers
That being said, the prominent artists are keeping she ship afloat. I like HipHop but as shittier artists become more popular than previous ones I like, it's justifiable to say the genre is becoming shit
>>
>>74492025
>today
Sorry mate, but everybody hates you. It's not just today. You guys spam your shit EVERYWHERE and flood the board with 20+ hip-hop threads at almost any given time. Please leave.
>>
>>74492025
Yeah it's fine, people can write off whatever they want as long as they don't spam /mu/ with autistic "I HATE (GENRE)" threads as if anyone gives a shit.
>>
>>74492142
>HipHop overtakes Rock as the most popular genre in America after a steady climb
>be surprised that it generates more discussion across the internet, including 4chan
>"reeee all these redditors go back waaaaah"
>>
>>74492025
>Is it acceptable to write off entire, vast genres?
No, to say an entire genre is shit is poppycock, and also probably more of them being unable to differentiate "I don't like" from "It's shit" than anything else. To say you don't like an entire genre is more reasonable, but still somewhat unlikely I would say.
>>
hip hop fans are basically the metalheads of a few years ago
>>
This is a board that doesn't want to wil' out to M.O.P. and punch someone in the face like an ignant niqqa to Sean Price but will ask you what your favorite TayTay song is. A good portion of this board need to consider hormone replacement therapy
>>
>>74492025
No, you can't dismiss an entire genre, that is contains immense variation, and that you have likely only heard a small fraction of. I can't think of a single Jazz musician I like, but I understand that there is a lot of Jazz I haven't heard.
>>
I would say that hip-hop is complete shit if trip-hop didn't exist. Also modern hip-hop like Kanye is so unbelievably atrocious that it actually made me more capable of stomaching older stuff like Run-DMC or NWA.
>>
>>74492171
Just stay in a general like everybody else. There were literally 36 threads about TPAB when it dropped. I counted them. Most of the topics were just a period or a comma or something with a picture of the album cover.

I hate k-pop and metal too, but they're easy to ignore. They stay in their threads and don't flood the board like screaming children.
>>
music should be judged album by album or artist by artist, not entire genres
>>
>>74492110
>>74492124
>>74492137
>>74492160
>>74492184
basically this, you dont have to like it but claiming it is shit is just ridiculous
>>
>>74492110
/thread/
>>
>>74492211
disliking kanye to an autistic intensity like this is a fucking meme at this point dude
>>
File: eh no.gif (188KB, 225x180px) Image search: [Google]
eh no.gif
188KB, 225x180px
>>74492211
>having taste this bad
>>
>>74492122
No. There are some outstanding moments in hip-hop, but as a genre that is constantly evolving, it is pretty trash.
>>
>>74492137
>"Here's a really good artist a lot of people haven't heard of" -Teenager

And you think its pro-hiphop posters that everyone hates. Nah, faggots like you are worse than Grimesposters.
>>
>>74492215
FUCKING THIS. I hate the fans more than the actual genre. 36 threads is ridiculous. I hope people got banned that day.
>>
>>74492025

I listen to a wide variety of music, all different genres and styles, and I have to say that hip-hop is one of my lowest as far as fulfillment goes.

I like it, and am entertained by listening to it, but it doesn't reach the same levels of emotional fulfillment I get from other types of music. It feels very fleeting to me. Always. Even the best stuff.
>>
What the mods should do is make the OP of every /mu/ thread identify the genre being discussed from like a drop down list or something. That way the autists can just filter out the shit which triggers them and we can discuss music in peace.
>>
>>74492316

For example, I have no desire to own any hip hop vinyl records. None. I'll just download them all.

The rest of my records span genres and styles, but hip-hop doesn't make the cut.
>>
I agree that most hip hop is uninspired, but the Slim Shady LP? That was fucking genius.
>>
>>74492215
Kendrick/Kanye posters =/= hip hop posters

Plenty of us hate spam too
>>
>>74492346

>Eminem

Dude, Eminem just triggers me because it makes me remember how I hated every Eminem fan in high school. Without fail, all those ADHD motherfuckers with extra chromosomes in my school were into Eminem all had shitty dye jobs down on their heads.

All they did was act like hyperactive retards because they wanted to be Eminem so bad.
>>
No one listens to or is even capable of listening to everything, there's just way too much out there. So by the very nature of those limitations you're writing off entire genres, from the enormously vast to the minuscule, to instead refine and sharpen your taste to the things that you do like. Even if you were to give some things a shot, outside of your comfort zone, you're likely to not dig deeper if you don't enjoy the stuff you're first introduced to. That's one of the biggest benefits of genres, that you can find similar stuff to either dig deeper or avoid.

Also remember that genres are socially constructed and fluid, there's so much stuff that spans multiple genres and so much stuff that only gets lumped in because it doesn't really fit anywhere else at the moment.
>>
>>74492386
But for real though, Eminem doesn't write a sentence and then write another one that rhymes with it. It's like the rhymes come fully formed in his head. Sometimes, anyway.
>>
>>74492110
This. Don't call it bad if you don't get it, say it's not for you
>>
>>74492316
Respectable. I don't agree, but I'm glad you're not writing it off just because it's not your favourite genre
>>
File: Dj Shadow - Endtroducing.jpg (253KB, 1087x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Dj Shadow - Endtroducing.jpg
253KB, 1087x1072px
>>74492025
all hip hop is garbage
the only acceptable form is pic related
>>
yeah you can be a pleb in peace, the taste police won't come for you
>>
Disliking hip hop is not like disliking "rock". It's like disliking a subgenre of rock. It's entirely possible to say it's all shit. It relies on lyricality but has extremely bad lyrics.

It fails by its own standards.
>>
File: Light.gif (455KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
Light.gif
455KB, 500x312px
>>74492323
>>74492323
>>
>>74492449
Jesus christ, you sound like me in middle school. End your life.
>>
Why does yachty have the thickest neck ever?
>>
>>74492306
Not to be that guy, but this is exactly why I prefer reddit to 4chan for music. If you don't like a genre, you'll literally never hear about it.
>>
>>74492025
no hip hop isn't bad but if these cunts cant even produce their own beats to mumble over then im out
>>
>>74495262
go back and stay there then
>>
File: IMG_1773.png (92KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1773.png
92KB, 400x400px
>>74495322
Speaking of going back..
>>
File: 0).jpg (8KB, 258x196px) Image search: [Google]
0).jpg
8KB, 258x196px
>>74495335
>>
>>74495046
Go listen to little creep faggot.
>>
File: 1501659088401.jpg (65KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
1501659088401.jpg
65KB, 650x366px
>>74492025
/mu/ is for music made by people who play their own instruments. Stupid button mashers like hip hop """""artists""""" are welcome here, but they have to be content to sit at the back of the bus. That's just the way it is.
>>
No. There will always be something inherently worth listening to in any genre. Sometimes with more popular genres you have to dig to find it. The problem with hip hop is most people get turned away by the garbage pop, and write off all of the genre
>>
>>74492025
Basically /mu/ is made up of the most autistic screetching rockists to roam the earth who think that music started in 1991 and died in 2007 and everything before or since then is derivative garbage. It is no wonder then that they believe that /mu/ artists made anything worthy of being saved.
>>
I like hiphop because civilization is about respecting everyone, music comes from all places and at the end of the day we're all human no matter how feral you are
>>
I like all hip-hop artists except Kanye. Not baiting, his voice is intensely irritating to me and it gives me a headache every time I hear one of his songs (I have a similar issue with Thom Yorke and the Radiomen). Combine that with annoying, smug lyrics and hit-or-miss production and he is the most overrated rapper of all time, even more so than Eminem and 2pac.
>>
>>74496249

This. I don't care how good of a producer he is, he sounds like a tryhard and his lyrics are juvenile.
>>
File: CasualHogan.jpg (46KB, 491x307px) Image search: [Google]
CasualHogan.jpg
46KB, 491x307px
>>74492417
Says the tripfag pleb. Nice entry level memes. Leave the true multi genre mastery to the pros kid.
>>74496053
You are factually incorrect.
>>74492323
>I want to hide things I don't like because opinions that don't match my own scare me
Why not leave? Sounds like you're to much of a pleb for anybody to really want you here anyway.
>>74492217
Fuck off faggot
>>74492211
Nice meme, nice dubs.
>>74492205
>don't have opinions unless I like them
drink some bleach homie
>>74492191
nice bait

You guys sure are fags.
>>
>>74496327
Good arguments friend :^)
>>
>>74492417
>le epin 'I'm gonna pretend to be Hampus' meymey
>>
you can write off whatever you want

like trump writes off his taxes
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.