[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was music actually cooler back in the 1990s or is it just nostalgia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 8

File: 52345324532459623876593874.jpg (1MB, 1548x1024px) Image search: [Google]
52345324532459623876593874.jpg
1MB, 1548x1024px
Was music actually cooler back in the 1990s or is it just nostalgia glasses?
Will people one day look back on Tame Impala and Kanye and be all "Man.. I was born in the wrong generation!"
I find it hard to believe because most modern music I listen to I don't even enjoy that much or would call it art it's just the best we have
Music from the past somehow seems like it has more soul
>>
>>74490646
Maybe, but coolness has next to nothing to do with aesthetic value.
>>
>>74490646

I think great quality music will always exist, however, I think the great bands the 90's were known for were just able to get mainstream or popular and that good shit was always one the radio.

Compare that to now where the only mainstream and popular "artists" that make it onto the radio only have songs that are written by the same 6 or so people with the same 4 chords.

Ultimately I think you can find pretty great music now, you just have to know where to look.
>>
I dunno I've not even listened to Wolf Alice
>>
>>74490646
It's literally 100% your rose tinted lenses. Everybody that has ever existed thought that the time preceding theirs was somehow better.
>>
>>74490646
nostalgia and the fact that the one hit wonders have been forgotten (unless you have a wagecuck job that has some shitty local radio station playing in the background)
>>
>>74490646
>Music from the past somehow seems like it has more soul
because you only know 10-15 artists the media spammed.
>>
>>74490646
oldfag here. MUCH cooler.

There was an actual indie music scene.

not you kids fault; but what they're trying to pass off as culture now is utter bullshit.
>>
>>74490795
>>74490799
>>74490800
lies

lived it.

there is no comparison. Today's music scene is 100% Hollywood bullshit.

In the 90s only the major label scene was Hollywood bullshit.
>>
>>74490850
does the indie scene even still exist really?
>>
>>74490850
what do you do now?
and how old are you?
>>
>>74490646
Grunge became extremely uncool extremely quickly, and the biggest bands of the movement quickly became pariahs in the underground whereas the smaller bands who inadvertently set the stage for the whole mainstream explosion that happened(Mudhoney, Melvins, Screaming Trees, Sub Pop in general etc.) either completely distanced themselves from the whole thing or relentlessly mocked it.
Nirvana and Soundgarden were absolutely not the cool bands to like in 1994.
Guided By Voices were. Shellac were. Fugazi were.
>>
>>74490892
I don't think this is correct
>>
>>74490855
not really, it was co-opted around 15 years ago

>>74490877

>>74490959
it's mostly correct. Grunge was marketing nonsense.
>>
>>74490959
It is.
Fucking Oasis were seen as a preferable alternative to grunge music by the in-the-know college rock crowd back then.

This song just about sums up the general attitude towards the grunge phenomenon circa 1994 in the underground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=363wCcJdSbA

It was considered marginally less lame than the hair metal it killed off. Liking Pearl Jam was about as cool as liking Duran Duran.
>>
>>74491032
>Fucking Oasis were seen as a preferable alternative to grunge music by the in-the-know college rock crowd back then.
hahahahahahaha

no
>>
>>74491041
Yes. Oasis' initial introduction to the US came via the college DJs who were following Creation Records and getting imported singles from abroad. Those same college DJs treated grunge as a bad joke.
It's hard to imagine now, but Oasis were considered to an "exotic" foreign indie band here for quite a while, no less respectable than the likes of Ride or Primal Scream. At a time when they were already major popstars back home, they were still playing scummy nightclubs in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40fexU2Bzis
>>
>>74491032
Not really.
>>
>>74491109
You're mental.
>>
>>74491110
Ok.
>>
>>74491160
How so?
>>
>>74491004
current job?
>>74491032
that's a pretty good song
>>
>>74491186
What are you data mining? Fuck off.
>>
>>74491218
just trying to figure out if you're a nostalgiafag who peaked in high school
>>
>>74491238
No. It's a thread about the 90s music scene. I was there. I saw everyone that mattered. 'Nostalgia' has nothing to do with it.
>>
File: 71XY7wE+wQL._SL1200_.jpg (135KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
71XY7wE+wQL._SL1200_.jpg
135KB, 1200x1200px
>>74491175
Well I can begin to build up a case against some 9f these comments, I can't be bothered. I gave away my grunge photo book a long time ago (and I regret it actually it was good).

Go on quickly, to say grunge was all marketing - no chance, at all
The big bands were pariahs by 94? That's just plainly not true. The underground cool kidz? Oh please. Maybe the odd CoF fan maybe but no-one liked them anyway.

Oasis preferable to what? The reason they played wet floor venues was that they weren't preferable , Bush were fucking huge btw.

My way limp biscuits and the jawas took over.
>>
>>74491366
He's right. Grunge was an MTV fueled joke. Mudhoney litteraly wrote a song about it. This isn't revisionist history.
>>
>>74490850
Whatever you say old man, I know it must hurt to see the time fly by so quickly but I can assure you nothing is better/worse today than it was in the 90's. The only thing that's different is your perception.
>>
>>74490646
considering that music has been getting progressively worse, it will always be better in the past than in the future
>>
>>74491488
Ok Schlomo. Go make another Grizzly Bear thread.
>>
>>74491404
It is, you bait mongering whore. If you read people recollecting nevermind in the US it was definetly

I hate you
I hate you
I hate you
>>
>>74491511
I point out something that's actually factual and that makes me jewish? Lol
>>
>>74491536
Kek. I was in 9th grade when Nevermind came out. Real punk rocks kids made fun on Nirvana. We were listening to shit like '13 Point Program to Destory America' and 'Battle Hymns of the Race War'.
>>
>>74491366
>The big bands were pariahs by 94? That's just plainly not true.

It is. Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were Metallica and Megadeth. Eddie Vedder and Kurt Cobain were Bono.

>Oasis preferable to what? The reason they played wet floor venues was that they weren't preferable

No, the reason they played wet floor venues was because this was well before Champagne Supernova and Don't Look Back In Anger happened and Oasis' audience still consisted largely of fans of Ride and Swervedriver and not fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Alanis Morisette.

This is Oasis playing live for MTV's 120 Minutes in 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZIiZJVWII

This is what you were likely to see on an above-average showing of 120 Minutes in the early-to-mid 1990s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbGam35mWxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aS-ktA5phY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8INZ-GI2n2A

You were not going to see Alice In Chains or Soundgarden on 120 Minutes. You would see those bands on Headbanger's Ball, an extremely un-hip metal show.
>>
>>74490646
>Was music actually cooler back in the 1990s or is it just nostalgia glasses?

it's just nostalgia

>Will people one day look back on Tame Impala and Kanye and be all "Man.. I was born in the wrong generation!"

of course, in the same way in like 2001 no one would have imagined that ok computer would have been considered the best rock album of all time.
tame impala actually released a great album in 2012, disregard the underages on /mu/ saying otherwise.
>>
File: 0608.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0608.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>74491686
AIC and Soundgarden where on 120 mins bro. C'mon now. I don't know what you're on about w/ Oasis.
>>
>>74491648
>'Battle Hymns of the Race War'

This and Nine Patriotic Hymns For Children are among the greatest hardcore records ever made.
>>
>>74491718
t. shill

Kanye and Tame Impala are corporate rock.

Real anons, you have to understand, back then, we WERE the music scene.

We released the records, booked the shows, where the press (zines) etc.

After 9-11 all of this started to be co-opted by (((corporate))) forces.
>>
>Spice Girls's Wannabe was released in 1996
Yeah, the 90s were definitely better.
>>
>>74491731
The program started to shift its orientation towards the mainstream stadium "alternative" bands in the second half of the 90s, which is why I specifically singled out the early to mid 90s period of it to establish my point.
>>
File: pearljam.jpg (88KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
pearljam.jpg
88KB, 630x420px
>>74490646
i lived through it and it was just as shit as you think everything is now. the only reason anyone would pine for the 90s with their wrong era shit is because all the gen x retards want to act like they were a part of something special. the only cool thing i remember was watching 120 minutes to see video premiers and funny interviews. the tail end was cool because the fringe stuff was starting to gain some tread, but aside from that, it was really over rated.
>>
>>74491817
What a fake intellectually dishonest argument. No one here has claimed there wasn't shitty music in the 90s. There was PLENTY of it.

But nice shilling. This is the kind of subtle co-opting I'm talking about.

My advice to young people is to make your own culture, and do it off the internet. The internet is fake freedom.
>>
The "alternative rock" scene from 1980 to 1991 is one of the best schools of music ever, and definitely the best for rock. Why? Because those bands made music with speed, rawness, personality, and just enough sensitivity. Rock musicians today make music for no reason other than they can. Tour vans that barely worked, audiences that were really hostile, no money.
>>
>>74491817
wannabe is unironically a great pop song
fuck off
>>
>>74491864
dude Soundgarden was on SST in the fucking 80s. What are you talking about?
>>
>>74491904
Wannabe is great though.

>>74491916
I know, I never said otherwise. It's one of my top 200 songs of all time.
>>
>>74491912
you must be 16
>>
>>74491865
If you're experience w/ the 90s music scene culminated in 120 minutes, you're a square who should stop talking.

But you're a shill trying to protect the fake ass music scene you attempt to pawn off as organic culture.
>>
>>74491953
/mu/ - Kids Not Cool Enough for r/lewronggeneration
>>
>>74491949
I hope you're gay. If not you've got to be insufferable.
>>
>>74491983
I'm neither, sorry.
>>
>>74491927
>dude Soundgarden was on SST in the fucking 80s.

This still did very little to make them palatable to fans of Husker Du or Big Black. Soundgarden were always too steeped in 70s arena rock to be treated as a "cool" band. Too many photos of Chris Cornell striking poses while shirtless, too many tepid metal riffs, too many inane pseudo-psychedelic lyrics.

And SST didn't mean the same thing in the late 80s that it meant in the early-to-mid 80s.
>>
>>74492019
Damn, I could at least imagine a campy gay guy who liked Wanbabe and wasn't completely insufferable.
>>
>>74492065
Soundgarden fucking TOURDED with Husker Du in the 80s dude. They were one of Cornell's favorite bands.

I should have known you were a fountain of misinformation after you're wacky Oasis diatribe.
>>
>>74491864
Move the fucking goal posts why don't you
>>
>>74492125
>Soundgarden fucking TOURDED with Husker Du in the 80s dude.

They didn't tour with them, they opened for them at one show. Opening slots don't mean much and the headlining bands very rarely have any say on whether they will have any local openers and who those openers might be. That's up to the organizers of the show to decide.
The fucking Counting Crows opened for Suede the first time Suede played in NYC. That doesn't mean jack shit.

>>74492135
>I immediately single out a specific timespan of a specific show due to the fact that said show had a specific focus during that timespan, a focus which shifted later on
>somehow that means that I am shifting goalpoasts

How about you learn to read instead?
>>
I think an interesting question is did nirvana signing to geffen make any difference? Some people say huge wad of money and it's in the stores everywhere. However I think it'd have done it itself, it was of the moment and unstoppable.
>>
>>74491960
you're a square you should stop romanticizing an era where you were still suckin on your momma's flabby tit
>>
>>74492214
>How about you learn to read instead?
As soon as you're pointed out to be wrong you straight away start changing your point to fit your next Internet sperg.
>>
>>74492322
My point hasn't changed at all. To me it looks more like you just don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>74492253
Kek. Nevermind would have sold maybe 100k records if they didn't sell their soul to David Geffin.
>>
File: 0AlM1qz4rgp.gif (904KB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
0AlM1qz4rgp.gif
904KB, 427x240px
>>74490646

>Trump support t shirt

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>74493187
nice bait
>>
>>74493187
Legit idiot or opportunistic shill?
>>
Kurt was incredibly fickle. He liked being the defiant, punk-rock, angry young man, but he also enjoyed making millions and millions of dollars.
>>
>>74493437
He didn't enjoy Geffin. He was trying to leave.
>>
What was the most hip style of not grunge?
>>
The gullibility of these bands will never cease to amaze me
>>
Nah, it's not nostalgia. regardless of when you were born the best decades for music go 70s>90s>60s>50s>00s>10s
>>
>>74493811
They're usually very young and starry eyed. The preadators can smell them coming.
>>
>>74491648
>in 9th grade
>dude we were so punk going to high schooo
>>
>>74494274
What at all do you find strange about that?
>>
>>74493906
Like hawkers on the street at a peep show.
>>
>>74494332
>anarchy bro lets skip the pep rally and smoke in the boys room
>>
>>74490646
It definitely had its own character that, along with the nostalgia, gives it a refreshingly light and escapist feel compared to modern music.

To the anon who keeps on requesting similar artists to Enigma and Deep Forest. You're a bent fucking faggot and literally nobody gives a shit about your fucking fetish for new age worldbeat euro trash. If I were you, I'd be less embarrassed admitting to being a furfag. If you were my son, I'd disown you. Get tae fuck.
>>
>>74494362
Retards.

Punk rock in 90s parlance = kids actively involved in the underground music scene.

Not junkies living in a squat or some pleb who wandered into Sam Goody and bought Nevermind.

That this has to be explained to you let's me know you weren't there.
>>
>>74493904
is 80s above and beyond or what
>>
The more I look back on the 90s the more I realize how boring and drab it actually was. Fuck gen x and early millennials and the late ones trying to act as if they knew anything about that decade because they were born on 1/1/1999. Fuck I was born in 1989 and hardly remember shit about the 90s.

Just as much shit music as now, the only difference being the radio now plays less nice to certain genres of music, and that shit has moved into the internet.
>>
The 90s had cool shit like Oasis and RHCP and Nirvana and real rock bands and movements to look up to. Now we don't have any of that any icons to unite our generation just shitty mumble rappers.
>>
>>74490646
Indie rock was infinitely cooler in the 90's and early 00's than it is now, obviously. Simultaneously hip-hop is where you see a lot of those "little guys working their way up to the top" moments, of course with your obligatory corporate plants. So yeah, in 10-20 years the /mu/tants of nexteryear will be raving over how music (hip-hop) was better when you had real innovators like Kanye and Danny Brown mixing up the world, and in 30-40 years the Redditors of nexteryear will be obsessing over how le underrated gems like Kendrick Lamar and Drake were so much better than the lazy corporate whores that get plastered all over Disney Channel.
>>
There will be vaporwave of vaporwave in 20 years. Vaporwave and soundcloud rap are the punk rock of our times.
>>
>soul
it's because all music today is recorded on computers and digital bullshit like fl studio so it all sounds artificial. back in the day you needed real equipment so you had that warm analogue sound that was authentic instead of tinny and artificial computer bullshit. that stuff might work for hip hop or edm but not rock
>>
>>74494859
Kek. Hiphop fucking died around '05.

but you're prob a shill
>>
>>74494881
Soundcloud rap is '''corporate'''controlled garbage.

Shills think they're slick. baka
>>
>>74494946
See oldschool rappers will be the Queen and Pink Floyd of the next generation, the sort of shit newfags hold up as the pinnacle of the genre because they're too autistic to look deeper into the industry beyond what their parents listened to.
>>
90s and 00s music was corny as shit
Only good decade was the 70s
>>
>>74494912
Digital synths can sound warm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf89IbaG0E
>>
>Be 27
>Little shitheads asking me do I listen to whatever popular rapper is out now

I don't even bother with mainstream music anymore. Not that I hate it but the industry is shitting out too many disposable musicians and trying to peg them as the next best thing. I cant keep up with that shit. Plus you look stupid after a certain age trying to keep up with that shit

At thesame time Jayz can kiss my ass with that cranky old man shit
>>
>>74494989
Nah. Got nothing against younger people. Rap industry just became Israeli controlled garbage.
>>
>>74495256
Truth. They persecute and harass anyone who is not under their control. Really all msm now. We can't even have a discussion itt w/o shills coming to peddle their false reality.
>>
>>74490751
unironically this
>>
>>74495353
Radio absolutely sucked ass in the 90s. All the important bands where not played on the radio.
>>
>>74493247
>>74494946
>>74494969
>>74495256
>>74495298

Jesus Christ dude stop spouting your batshit shill stuff that /pol/ brainwashed you into fighting for
>>
>>74495647
Yeah fuck off. I'm a grown man. I've lived through the transition. I know just how full of shit you really are.
>>
>>74495683
From male to female?

Is that you Chrstine Weston Chandler
>>
>>74490892
Nigga wat people went crazy for Superunknown
>>
>>74495792

What a true piece ofshit you must be.
>>
>>74495938
Not that anon, but plebs liked that shit. Plebs listened to whatever was on the radio. Whether it was Soundgarden or Ugly Kid Joe.
>>
>>74495683
>t. 19 year old who remembers the "good ol days" before 9/11 when mommy coddled him and gave him milkies
>>
>>74496196
t. shill who posts no content because he's full of shit
>>
>>74496223
If you don't like a genre that's fucking fine. But don't sit here like a retard and tell me "rip gud music :(((" like a fucking dadrock addicted /r/music poster because your overrated early 2000s indie rock scene bands are almost all over the hill. And trying to justify it with /tv/-tier "redpilling" not only makes you look like a retard, it makes /pol/ look bad for being indirectly tied to this new wave "le wrong generation" autism.
>>
>>74496196
>9/11

nope it was Napster. That's when (((they))) came in Bolshevik style and collapsed any honest commerce in the record industry. Then came the corporate festival circuit.
>>
>>74496252
No one has criticized a genre, except Soundcloud rap, and that's really criticizing a corporate platform.

You're still completely full of shit and a shill.
>>
>>74496284
You said that rap died in 05
>>
>>74496255
Ah yes, it was the advent of new platforms for music distribution that killed a monolithic industry that for decades worked tirelessly to curb innovation in whatever ways it could. Surely this is reality and not simply your rose colored glasses blinding you from realizing the scummy practices of the music industry was built on.
>>
>>74496284
>hip hop died in 05
>Rap industry just became Israeli controlled garbage.

Yeah and 2+2=5 you brainwashed autist.
>>
>>74496349
Because it fucking did. Not a criticism of the genre (which I love), but a criticism of the business/politics behind the genre. Ever notice how the rappers who say real shit die/go 'crazy'/don't pay their taxes?

Rap today is effeminized nonsense, and that's very much by design.
>>
>>74496379
Nigga please. The step of control beyond wealth is communism.

>>74496393
Ha the shills are really mad.

Real artists have been exposing this shit for YEARS. I didn't make it up.
>>
>>74490646

People remember and glamorize the things from the past that were good, and that which deserves to be forgotten is rightfully so by most accounts. Living in the now, you see the good and the bad, the things that will be remembered over time and that which will be forgotten all as it's happening. The chaff hasn't been separated from the wheat, so to speak. So yeah, it's easier to glorify the past for the things it did right instead of taking the good and the bad of the present. There was probably just as much shit then, it's just that no one cares anymore.
>>
>>74496603
Yeah that totally explains why most of the music real non-shill anons talk about on here are from a decade+ ago.

Not the kids fault, we're just currently living in a very oppressive 'culture'.
>>
>>74491488
I bet you don't even remember 9/11.

The 90's was better and it changed that day.
>>
>>74496603
This does happen, it's also verifiably true that music is now more basic.

Both things can be true, don't be a simpleton.
>>
>>74496444
In case you havent noticed 90% of famous artists are "feminime" males. I think you should get back into sports if that kind of thing matters to you.
>>
>>74496709
Bullshit. Historical revision. Rap used to be hyper masculine. Now it's a bunch of degenerate agendered dumpster fires.

This is not a coincidence.

https://youtu.be/HvTNPwT84co
>>
>>74496786
Lol you have never been in a slum
>>
>>74496818
Are just gonna keep shilling your lies?
>>
File: clinton unzips.jpg (2KB, 125x116px) Image search: [Google]
clinton unzips.jpg
2KB, 125x116px
>>74490646
That's a pretty cool TRUMP shirt, that Chris was wearing. Ahead of his time.
>>
>>74496840
Why do you keep posting that word? And that video you posted was literally a wash up wearing a fedora, that is really embarassing.
>>
>>74496860
eat a dick Schlomo, and take your fake faggot culture with you.
>>
>>74496875
What's wrong with being gay?
>>
>>74496875
Lol go back to /pol/
>>
>>74496885
Nothing. But try and keep it over 18 Schlomo.
>>
>>74496899
You already tried your stupid /pol/ boogeyman fake argument.
>>
>>74490646
Every teen subculture has revolves around music until recently when genders and politics displaced music in that area.
Regular people don't listen to new music anymore so instead of bragging about their favourite Linking Park music video they brag about some political shit they don't understand. That's the deal right now.
>>
>>74496922
You are stupid.
>>
>>74496969
*sheistering intensifies*
>>
File: itll-happen-to-you.png (247KB, 504x388px) Image search: [Google]
itll-happen-to-you.png
247KB, 504x388px
>>74490646
Nostalgia glasses. It always will be and always has been that way. People thought this way in the 1960s when rock music blew up and the older generations instantly rejected it. People will look back at Kanye and Tame and admire their craft for the time like any other artist in the past.

Pic related is what will eventually happen to all of us.
>>
>>74490791
Don't bother
>>
>>74497048

Already happened to me almost a decade ago. I don't even care at this point.
>>
>>74490892
That's not really true, especially since Cobain was dead for most of 1994 and thus became the be all/end all for Generation X.
>>
>>74497048
>>74497226
And now he's samefagging.

Btw Take Impala fucking suck. No one gives a rats ass about those frauds now, yet alone 20 years from now.

Kanye is real, but he like forgot to drink water or something and got ugh "dehydrated" and hasn't been heard from since.
>>
>>74497277
He's talking about hip people. Not plebs who actually believe Cobain committed suicide.
>>
>>74497335
He did commit suicide. Imagine if the only time you could relax was when you were on heroin for a few hours a day. And when you do get high, you do nothing. If you dont, you are in terrible pain. Add that with the fact that reporters told the world everytime they relapsed or looked high in public.
>>
>>74497455
Yeah, funny thing about Geffin/Interscope, how that happens. But cool soliloquy.
>>
Here's the Pazz & Jop critic's poll for 1994 which is probably about as much of a consensus for what was considered 'cool' in 1994 as you are going to get. Spoiler alert: Hole's Live Through This is #1

https://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/pnj/pjres94.php
>>
>>74497455
this post really makes me want to get high on opiates
>>
>>74497524
Bwahahaha

No one is this fucking square. Mainstream press was slightly more honest in 1994 then it is now, but still mostly clueless/corrupt.
>>
>>74497524
This is 120 minutes core. Corporate 'alternative'. Not that some of those records aren't good.
>>
>>74490646
Nostalgia turns any piece of media in the greatest media ever made independently of the time period.
>>
>>74497616
298 professional music critics in 1994 vs. a couple of dipshits on the internet in 2017
>>
>>74497635
Bullshit. All the shitty records from the 90s still sound shitty.
>>
>>74497650
Professional music critics. Ha. Do you believe in pitchfork ratings too?
>>
>>74497669
t. butthurt Arcade Fire fan
>>
>>74497684
I don't listen to that crypto jewish bullshit shill. But you know that
>>
>>74497650
Do you think cool people in the 90s cared what Rolling Stone, Spin, NY Times or industry people in general thought???? Mainstream media was bullshit back then too. Not as bad as now (completely fake), but bullshit nonetheless.
>>
>>74497653
How is that bullshit? People remember things from easier times fondly. They relate whatever of that time as positive.
>>
File: 468160160-640x426.jpg (67KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
468160160-640x426.jpg
67KB, 640x427px
>>74497712
I didn't write this, but it's not wrong.
>>
>>74496653
Because /mu/ isn't a music forum, it's a circlejerk around the late 90's/early 00's indie scene. It's bordering on dadrock 2.0.
>>
>>74497731
No they don't. Everything that sucked then sucks now. I don't turn on Better Than Ezra and suddenly think it's good. Please.
>>
>>74497524
The Pazz & Jop polls were not taken particularly seriously by your average hip young music fan of the times. Zine culture was a lot more alive in the 90s, and that was where you went to catch the real pulse of the time.

>Nine Inch Nails
>Veruca Salt
>Green Day
>Hole
>Jeff Buckley
>R.E.M.
>Beck
>fucking Coolio
>The Offspring
>Madonna
>Soundgarden
>the list goes on

Do you really think the average indie elitist gave a shit about any of these bands? Of course they didn't.
>>
>>74497756
>I have common sense so everybody else does too
>>
>>74497755
You idiots will sheister 360 degrees to cover up the fact that today's music scene is a centrally created construct propped up by a corrupt press, colluding corporations, rigged tech platforms, and shills such as yourself.

It's ok. Hip people already know. But the norms are beginning to catch on.
>>
>>74497759
100% accurate
>>
>>74490646

It was, but almost oppressively. Any music that was not labeled "cool" was heavily dismissed.

There was so much music snobbery going on from about 1992-1997. It was insufferable, especially people who were heavily into "alternative" rock, whether that being major label or indie bands of the time.
>>
>>74497759

How old are you? A lot of those bands were barely mainstream or only had one album that went mainstream (like Green Day). A lot of people were still listening to 80s buttrock.
>>
>>74497843
People who were music snobs didn't listen to 'alternative' bands on major lables.

Nice try though. At least you put some effort into your scheming.
>>
>>74497850
Nigga please. Green Day was on MTV 50 times a dayin 1994.
>>
>>74497843
This is true. Pavement being one of them. "Cut Your Hair" and "Range Life" were indie snoots griping about careerist types.
>>
>>74497869

No, they listened to "alternative" bands on indie labels. I'm talking about two different types of snobbery.

People who listened to even mainstream shit thought they were snobs too.
>>
>>74491314
youre unironically a bitter old man.. everything youve said sounds like rose tinted glasses
>>
>>74497905
No they didn't

>>74497904

They weren't wrong. Those major labels really where treacherous parasites. And the dummies who went into business with them mostly got what they deserved.
>>
>>74490646
i know this is a cliché answer but i think the internet really changed it
there's no real "scene" anymore, it's spread all over, so it's harder for label execs to find specific sounds and genres that seem outsider yet marketable
so i think, "cool" music doesn't get radio play at ALL anymore, because it all exists on the internet
there's still very much cool music nowadays, it's just less physical imo
>>
>>74497843

As a point to this, shoegaze bands were not considered "cool" in the early 90's.

They were considered limp bands for soft men. You were looking for ridicule if you liked any of that.

It has such reverence now that I don't think anybody would believe it unless they were alive. Saying you were a Slowdive or a Ride fan was like saying you were a loser.
>>
The early to mid 90s were a weird time when it seemed like any of the coolist most indie snobby fucking band around could overnight become 'mainstream' alt rock sensations. People seriously thought Sonic Youth's Dirty was going to be the next Nevermind and sell millions of albums.
>>
>>74497921
Fuck off shill

This >>74497796 is the absolute truth that the rest of your bullshit is trying to mitigate.

I'm not bitter at all. I admire real artists who continue to work despite this oppressive 'culture'.
>>
>>74497954
Untrue. Loveless was a big influence on the noise scene.
>>
>>74497927
>No they didn't
Sure showed me
>>
>>74497888
Right and in 1993 they were an underground punk band playing at Gilman in Berkeley and hanging out with Jello Biafra and Jawbreaker.
>>
>>74497965
By people you mean Los Angeles corporate record labels?

It's true though. They gave Royal Trux a million dollars.
>>
>>74498004
Yeah, and in 1994 when they appeared on that list they had the marketing muscle of fucking Warner Music Group behind them. That's how the game goes.
>>
>>74498069
Somehow I don't think they regret signing to a major label.
>>
>>74497965
A lot of times major labels would sign bands for a pittance just so they could get their claws in them or put them on the shelf.

It was and is a dirty fucking racket.
>>
>>74498138
t. Steve Albini
>>
>>74498132
Idk. I wouldn't want to be those guys. Celebrities are literal prisoners. Stop worshipping money. It's dangerous.
>>
>>74498145
Albini is an agro nerd and a bit of a clown, but The Problem With Music wasn't wrong.
>>
>>74498156
t. Communist
>>
>>74498199
Not wanting to do business with a mafia doesn't make you a communist.
>>
>>74491004
You should have just said you were a doctor with 2 million and a house dude would have cried at night for weeks.

>>74493437
The pain in his lyrics is grossly obvious post-Geffen, I think he wanted money for heroin and wanted a rockstar life yeah but I don't think he wanted to be Jesus. There IS a middle ground. He'd have liked to be Depeche Mode level I think.

>>74497954
Lived through it but it completely went over my head tbqh, I later discovered it in 2013.

>>74497759
Gangsters Paradise is an immense song I don't care what Weird Al thinks. Beck was pretty edgy in 1994, people thought he might have created a new genre of music with Odelay and he had a extreme niche following going on with Stereopathic Soulmanure.
>>
>>74498309
Cobain never made it off Geffin anon. As haven't many others.
>>
>>74498309
And Odelay didn't exist in 1994.
>>
>>74495117
I'm 28 and I'm starting to hit the point where I feel like I'm constantly playing keep up with whatever new artist is being hyped too, and it definitely feels like the turnaround time is faster than ever. Nobody can just be a random guy with a hit song, they need to have ten think pieces and glowing reviews about how they are the next best thing and are shattering barriers. Nobody was doing that for fucking Mims ten years ago. I think people can see through that shit though and end up deciding for themselves whether a singer is worth it or not.
>>
>>74498309

Yeah, North America barely knew about Shoegaze anyways. It was an almost all British thing.

It was not considered cool in Britain. In the US, save for MBV, it was mostly ignore and dismissed as not being "cool".

Similarly, electronica that came out of Britain in the early and mid 90's was also not "cool".
>>
>>74499036
What electronica are you talking about? Because shit like Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Fennesz, Photek etc. Where def considered cool.
>>
>>74497986
No
>>
>>74498657
Yeah dude, I've noticed, you can have millions of views on youtube but most likely you'll still be playing in scene clubs.
>>
>>74490791
the new stuff is all oh im an angry women yuk foo hear me roar

boringg
>>
>>74498657
yeah the modern music turnover rate is kinda crazy its so fast
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.