[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many "music nerds" completely ignore classical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

Why do so many "music nerds" completely ignore classical music?
There's so much of it there has got to be something for everybody; stage, orchestral, chamber, vocal - Long, complex and epic, short and sweet, sad, angry, joyous, crazy, sacred, romantic and so and so on. There's a million (sub)genres and descriptors I could name.
>>
Debussy more like fuck da bussy
>>
I can't relate to an enormous gang of 50+ people
>>
But seriously, modern music has been here for only 60 years, while classical music spans millennia. Why would anyone ignore such a huge pool of music is beyond me.
>>
File: beach.jpg (93KB, 432x591px) Image search: [Google]
beach.jpg
93KB, 432x591px
>>74475259
You know it, bitch.
>>
>>74475235
You're obviously not a "music nerd" if you don't listen to classical at all to begin with. Or you're just deluding yourself.
>>
>>74475235
>Why do so many "music nerds" completely ignore classical music?
Because music nerds listen only to full album while with classical music there's no such thing.
>>
>>74475278
>what are solo piano, chamber music, sonatas
>>
>>74475278
What? Are you talking about orchestras? You do realize usually only one person writes these things and the gangs are just instruments/tools? You can listen to solo/chamber pieces too, you do realize this? You know, like one or a few people, if you need to relate.
>>
>>74475278
Listen to quartet/quintet chamber music
>>
>>74475282
>>74475301
True.

>>74475304
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&genres=Classical+Music&include_child_genres=t&include=both&limit=none&countries=
>>
>>74475282
"Modern music" is just a continuation from folk, it is a lot older than 60 years. Pop music fans are stuck in the present: the next new thing, classical music fans are stuck in the past: music was better back then.
>>
>>74475235
debusy
>>
>>74475330
>>74475318
why not just listen to jazz?
>>
>>74475372
Music has no time. I mean, at least as long as you don't say bullshit like "I only listen to what's currently hot" or "I wish I was born in the 16th fucking century because music was so much better".
>>
>>74475372
Except folk music is orally passed local traditional music whereas popular music is freshly written music.

The Beatles didn't come from Morris dancing.
>>
>>74475390
Different aesthetics you mongoloid
>>
>>74475390
Why not both since they're completely different
>>
File: bandas-duke-ellington-orchestra.jpg (381KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
bandas-duke-ellington-orchestra.jpg
381KB, 1600x900px
>>74475390
1. But I do? It's different and much younger, smaller than classical though.

2. I can't relate to an enormous gang of niggers.
>>
>>74475235
I always grab em' by debussy
>>74475390
Because they are nothing alike? Jazz music is something completely different from classical music
It's almost its musical antithesis.
>>
I fucking love Debussy magnet.
>>
>>74475411
Folk music is freshly written music when first written. The Beatles are orally and aurally passed on by people who have never seen the score. The distinction between pop and folk is meaningless.
>>
>>74475235
It's honestly hard to sort it all out because there is quite a lot of it. To add to that so many people blow up specific composers that it's really hard to find stuff that YOU like.
>>
File: muzak.png (130KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
muzak.png
130KB, 1600x1200px
>>74475467
But folk music isn't written, at all.

Pic sort of related, I don't necessarily agree with it completely but some of it makes sense.
>>
>>74475482
Understandable yet disheartening. I'd say it's worth the effort though.
>>
I like chamber music and a little bit of choral stuff too but it's just not really my thing
i prefer harmonic and structural simplicity usually, easier to dance and sing along to, to interface with in some visceral way
>>
File: qt.jpg (54KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
qt.jpg
54KB, 400x400px
>>74475571
Good post. Have a Debussy.
>>
>>74475515
Don't worry I am trying my best :]
>>
>>74475235
>>74475286
>>74475465
>>74475614
His skull shape genuinely triggers me
>>
I would love to get into classical but there's so fucking much and unlike with other styles of music I have no goddamn idea how to narrow it down to find the kind of stuff I want
>>
>>74475282
Because it's lame
>>
>>74475614
thanks
>>
>>74475235
Computers are better
>>
>>74475341
Those aren't statements man.
>>
>>74475673
You could start with the shit you've already heard. I'm going to go on whim and guess, like most people, you actually know a stock of melodies you've "heard" but don't know the names of from cartoons, movies, advertisements games, other media, whatever. Now think of the ones you like. Even the most uncultured average joes have heard Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Pachelbel's Canon, Beethoven's 5th/9th Symphonies and his Moonlight Sonata, Bach's Toccata & Fuge and his Orchestral Suite, heaps of stuff from Mozart like Turkish March and Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker and 1812 Overture, Handel's Coronation Anthem, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, Lizst's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 etc I could go on...

You could buy or pirate one of those "Greatest Classical 100" kind of CDs and see what you like. Or perhaps try Naxos's "The Very Best of" series where they have compilation CDs featuring "The Very Best of" various composers like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc. From there you can see what you like and delve deeper.
>>
>>74475304
>he fell for the full album meme
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.