[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here /selftaught/ instrument? I'm 18 and want to teach

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: piano.jpg (35KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
piano.jpg
35KB, 320x240px
Who here /selftaught/ instrument? I'm 18 and want to teach myself piano, but I'm concerned about the amount of time it would take up. How long p/day do you guys recommend??

>pic related, gonna be me
>>
play an instrument you feel like you connect with, then just fiddle around and learn songs you like. doesnt matter how long you play each day, just play when youve got nothing else to do
>>
>>74463247
i wanna learn the fundamentals and shit, go hard in the paint nigga, hit the books and git gud
>>
>>74463212
self taught guitarist and semi self taught pianist here
it really depends but i started out with 30 minutes to an hour a day and worked my way up but be prepared for the first few months to just be learning songs and no actual technicalities
>>
>>74463260
thats not how you start. start by having fun and learning your favourite songs. come up with your own little songs. then when you've got some technique down, read more into it
>>
>>74463260
definitely the wrong way to go about it
if you thrust yourself into theory and advanced techniques you'll come out of it frustrated and confused. there's no shame in starting with beginner books
>>
word of advice: dont start.
self-teaching an instrument takes time and patience. also self discipline. if you lack these, you'll end up learning a couple of retarted chords and lose interest.
>>
>>74463276
not to mention it's about having fun more than anything and if you force yourself to "go hard in the paint" instead of just noodling around, practicing will be a chore instead of a learning experience
>>
>>74463284
this. op just have fun
>>
>>74463247
>>74463268
>>74463276
>>74463284
>>74463291
alright, i'll get a weighted keyboard or smt and play some stuff i like, thanks anons xx
>>
Classically trained Clarinet and Saxophone player, and self taught Pianist and Guitarist. And it is my humble advice that classical training is pointless unless you look to play in an orchestra or marching band. Everything you need in order to play anything on piano is available simply by experimentation and practice. My advice is this, learn songs you like, and challenge yourself to learn harder songs every now and again. Show off to people who don't play at all, and let that fuel your ego to learn more stuff. Use jealousy to your advantage. But mostly, just have fun. Music is about expression and freedom thereof so just fuck around.
>>
i taught myself keyboard and guitar

just pick a fairly mainstream song you want to learn and check youtube for a tutorial learn it then continue branching out from there, thats how i did it
>>
>>74463345
>Use jealousy to your advantage
Oh man this is so true. One time when I was starting out I jammed with this kid who was an asshole but was way better than me. I swear, half of the reason I wanted to git gud at the piano was to stick it to that dude. Worst part is I haven't even spoken to him since then, but I still get mad when I think about him and feel the urge to go practice
>>
>>74463450
The whole reason I picked up piano, I'm in high school and this kid plays a two handed melody right after I played a single handed one on the piano in the music room. From that point on, I dedicated shit tons of time to showing that kid up.
>>
>>74463472
I'm not in highschool now, I meant like, I was in highschool. No b& pls
>>
>>74463450
>>74463472
i do this with vidya, but then all my friends stop playing when i beat them <:(
>>
>>74463490
What faggots, any normal person would then go practice a bunch and try to be better than you, and there'd be consistent competition.
>>
>>74463345
arnt you the redditor who thinks blonde is the greatest album of the decade, why would i take any advice from you?
>>
>>74463547
I never said that. I made a thread about blonde and asked if Frank Ocean would be highly regarded in ten years.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.