[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is better? Also, since both tracks are objectively the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20160926_082847.jpg (352KB, 1357x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160926_082847.jpg
352KB, 1357x662px
Which is better?

Also, since both tracks are objectively the best on their respective albums, do you prefer "When The Sun Hits" or "When You Sleep"?
>>
Souvlaki is the better album, but When You Sleep is better than anything on that album.
>>
loveless is better
however When The Sun Hits beats When You Sleep
>>
>>74454740
YES
>>
40 days > when the sun hits
blown a wish > when you sleep
>>
>>74454740
Pretty much the opposite of this. Loveless is better, but When The Sun Hits blows it away.
>>
Fuckers forgetting Souvlaki Space Station
>>
What You Want > Blown A Wish > When You Sleep
>>
>>74454725
I couldn't get into Souvlaki in the fucking least.

Loveless is easily the better album.
>>
Nowhere is better than both, and Going Blank Again is better than Nowhere. As nuch as I like Souvlaki and Loveless, most of the time they explore some really interesting textures and then proceed to do nothing quite interesting with them.
>>
>>74454725
Loveless

>Best song on Loveless
Come in Alone
>Best song on Souvlaki
Alison
>>
File: R-383011-1256054115.jpeg.jpg (91KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
R-383011-1256054115.jpeg.jpg
91KB, 600x600px
>*blocks your path*
>>
>>74455032
>>74455090
these
>>
>>74454725
>>
I love both albums.
Loveless > Souvlak

Soon > When The Sun Hits
>>
Souvlaki space station > machine gun > when the sun hits
>>
Loveless is the better album and To Here Knows When is handily the best song across the two albums, though Souvlaki Space Station comes close.
>>
>>74454725
>When The Sun Hits
>not Alison
>When You Sleep
>not To Here Knows When

some real pleb opinions goin on in this op

anyway souvlaki is better by a tiny bit, and alison is better than thkw by a tiny bit
>>
What You Want is the best song on Loveless
40 Days is the best song on Souvlaki

Loveless is the better album
>>
theyre both boring
>>
unimaginative and boring albums
>>
>>74455747

How is Loveless unimaginative considering Shields' entire approach to guitar playing?
>>
>>74455928
the approach means nothing if the result is lackluster
>>
>>74455970

To each their own. I think it's nice as an expression of sheer texture and atmosphere. Songwriting could've been more fleshed out but it wasn't really the point of the album either, they explicitly eschewed complex structure to get the sound across better.
>>
>>74454725
theyre completely different genres...
>>
>>74454740
how. HOW is this someone's opinion.

>>74454725
The answer is Loveless.

Loveless started and ended a genre, Souvlaki attempted to imitate MBV's style and completely failed. Souvlaki isn't a bad album, but it is entirely forgettable. No one forgets Loveless after hearing it, even if they hated it.

>>74455045
Good taste on the best tracks family
>>
Loveless is endlessy praised blah blah but Souvlaki makes me feel more and better, and that's all that matters for me to decide which one is better.
>>
I kinda wanna say Souvlaki, but Loveless is probably better. When You Sleep is one of the greatest songs of the 90s and in the entirety of shoegaze.
>>
Superficially, 'Loveless' is heavier and far better produced than 'Souvlaki,' which is not my favorite Slowdive record to begin with. Slowdive are one of the finest dream pop bands ever to wear the tag but what MBV did changed the way people played guitar, arranged albums, inspired new production techniques.

Ask any professional guitarist who was working the 90s about them and they'll tell you the next time they all went into the studio to record, they approached things slightly differently. It helped create a lot of really classic, big records of that era. Can't be understated.
>>
>>74454725
I prefer Loveless
>>
>>74454725
souvlaki is better
when the sun hits is my favorite song
>>
>>74457617
>Superficially, 'Loveless' is heavier and far better produced than 'Souvlaki
Both superficially and profoundly I would say
>>
>>74454725
Souvlaki

And Alison > When The Sun Hits
>>
>>74454725
Souvlaki is so boring holy shit.
>>
Loveless is a tru, untainted 10/10 start to finish. Souvlaki is an 8. Still great....but an 8 no less
>>
>>74454725
Loveless wins. When The Sun Hits is the best track on Souvlaki, although it only narrowly beats out Alison and Souvlaki Space Station. When You Sleep along with Only Shallow are the most initially impressive tracks on Loveless, but the true best songs are Come in Alone and I Only Said, which epitomize the dreamy, ethereal take on shoegaze Loveless presents.
>>
File: curious cat is curious.jpg (107KB, 717x718px) Image search: [Google]
curious cat is curious.jpg
107KB, 717x718px
To Here Knows When > Come In Alone > Souvlaki Space Station > Only Shallow > Sing > 40 Days > Alison > When You Sleep > When The Sun Hits > Loomer > Soon > I Only Said > Blown A Wish > Here She Comes > What You Want > Machine Gun > Touched > Sometimes > Altogether > Melon Yellow > Dagger
>>
bowery electric's debut is the best shoegaze album
>>
Most people I play Loveless for aren't into it really besides maybe Only Shallow or Sometimes.

But when I play Souvlaki everyone likes it and thinks its chill. Loveless only sounds good if youre really high or drunk desu
>>
>>74458966
Put Blown a Wish behind To Here Knows When to make that a legitimate opinion
>>
>>74460192
>Loveless only sounds good if youre really high or drunk desu
maybe if you're a normie
>>
>>74458966
i agree with most of this
>>
>>74455090
>britpop w/ distortion
>shoegaze

lmao nice try bud
>>
>>74460759
>Ride
>Britpop with distortion
wow what an original meme there kiddo
>>
>>74458966
>Machine Gun that low

This nigga don't have ears.

Machine Gun is better than 90% of the tracks on Loveless.

Loveless is the better album though.
>>
the only songs on loveless as good as 40 days and alison are when you sleep and sometimes.
the rest of them don't really match up, and souvlaki has dagger which is better than most of them too.
overall loveless is probably better, but souvlaki invokes a deeper feeling when you listen to it's best songs.
>>
>>74460759
Literally everyone thinks Ride is shoegaze, it's just you fucks that don't think so because it actually does something with the rest of the band rather than coming up with interesting textures and promptly doing zilch with them.
>>
>>74460648

dude vacuum sounds LMAO
>>
>>74460848
this but unironically
>>
>>74460759

Not a lot of difference between Ride and very early Lush IMO. Latter's a bit more Cocteau Twins-y but if something like Gala is considered shoegaze then Nowhere and Going Blank Again shouldn't be dismissed.
>>
Souvlaki's the better album if you're taking both out of context, but Loveless was more definitive and still just sounds stranger.

I wish Slowdive had done more like Souvlaki Space Station, though. Shoegaze bands really ignore the low end too much, but the grinding bass in that song really just makes it.
>>
>>74461157
I feel like their new album captures some of Souvlaki Space Station
>>
>>74461230

I think Go Get It is a lot like that track but with a stronger sense of dynamics, like it ebbs and flows whereas SSS is one huge bliss-out.
>>
40 days is the best on souvlaki
>>
Loveless is the only answer desu
>>
Both are so good
But Loveless is on another level, and for me especially as a guitarist
>>
>>74454725
Loveless is better but Souvlaki is much more enjoyable, so sweet and smooth
>>
>>74461157
You should try Verve's EP (+first few singles) if you haven't yet. It's basically that
>>
>>74454740
this is the opinion of someone who has listened to both albums once maybe twice each
>>
>>74457815
Absolutely. I just meant that heaviness and production are almost besides the point when compared with how important that record was to guitar music in perpetuity forever after.
>>
Souvlaki is better, but Loveless has more of a cultural impact.
Of the 2 songs, I prefer When The Sun Hits, but Souvlaki Space Station is the best song on Souvlaki.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.