[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to buy a 4-track to start recording some music.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Eric-Trump.jpg (133KB, 430x582px) Image search: [Google]
Eric-Trump.jpg
133KB, 430x582px
I'd like to buy a 4-track to start recording some music. Should I buy new or used? What kind should I buy? Anything I should look out for?
>>
Why a 4-track? Just use audacity
>>
Before you decide if you want new or used, you should decide whether you want digital or tape.

If you want digital, you should consider whether you want an actual 4 track recorder, or instead want an audio interface for essentially an infinite number of tracks.

If you want cassette, I have a Yamaha MT4X I love to death if you want me to answer some questions/talk more about it.
>>
if you want cassette get a used yamaha portastudio
>>
>>74429980
What are the differences between digital and tape (besides the obvious)?
>>
>>74430082
Well digital is certainly more flexible and has more features. If you were to ping-pong/bounce several tracks to one track (I'm not sure digital 4 tracks even have this option), it probably will retain a lot of the original quality.

With tape, the sound is probably more worn-sounding than digital, and with each ping-ponging of tracks, the quality becomes more washed away.
>>
>>74430236
With that in mind, I assume tape 4-tracks are more for people who are looking to attain a lo-fi sound?
>>
>>74430388
Yes, but IMO it is a little more than lo-fi. A lot of people will say that cassette tape isn't warm by reel-to-reel standards, however, cassette certainly has desirable qualities beyond lo-fi.

For example, Guided By Voices used cassette for some of their albums, and while it is grainy, there is this great, compressed sound to the whole thing. Some other great examples are Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska and Ariel Pink's House Arrest (though the later was with an 8 track Yamaha recorder).
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.