[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do modern musicians (i.e singer-songwriters or bands in their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1128.jpg (214KB, 881x568px) Image search: [Google]
1128.jpg
214KB, 881x568px
Why do modern musicians (i.e singer-songwriters or bands in their many forms) generally peak in their 20s and fall off rapidly as they get older, whereas jazz musicians and composers create their best works when they are far older?
>>
>>74415514
Jazz and classical music require discipline, skill, and maturity
>>
>>74415514
The answer you’re looking for:
>sex sells
>musicians in their sexual prime are marketed primarily on their sex appeal
>success of jazz musicians and classical composers does not rely on sex appeal becuz its real ART and other m usid ISNT!
>>
>>74415514
One is based on ideas and people who run out of things to write about and end up phoning it in, the other is about musicianship which improves with experience.
>>
>>74415553
If that's true (I'm not sure it is), why don't the more popular forms of music?
>>
>>74415564
But I'm not talking about popular music, I mean generally any act in that mold, popular or not - even progressive rock groups or avant-garde artists that are oriented in a similar manner (just as examples) generally follow the trend
>>
jazz isn't art btw
>>
>>74415609
I've wondered about this too. Could it be that there's just so much less emphasis on artistic development (vs. "raw" talent/genius or whatever) in popular music culture that even musicians on its fringes internalize that mindset?
>>
>>74416966
by popular music culture I meant your "modern musicians" category btw
>>
>>74415514
You'll also notice that many of these bands don't acheive their greatest popularity or commercial success until after their creative peak as well.

Essentially because after the first few albums they say what they have to say and then they get a bit older and jaded and realize they can just use the music as a strictly moneymaking venture and will make music that sells to the masses.
>>
>>74415576
They're more dependent on image and current fashion, and tend to be fed by a younger audience. Once that younger audience grows up and is no longer fashionable, the output of the artists isn't either.
>>
>>74415514
Isn't it obvious? Pop music is targeted primarily at young people, so pop stars are predominantly young.
>>
>>74415514
one is a product, the other is an art
>>
>>74415617
Jazz is literally the only important thing to come out of music. Maybe you'll understand one day.
>>
>>74420297

post avant field recording remixes of stockhausen made in marble bathrooms are literally the only important thing to come out of music. Maybe you'll understand one day.
>>
>>74415514
Pop music is all about looking young and cool but classical music is all about perfecting an art.
>>
>>74415514
Songwriters go on intuition, while composers go on learning. The more they learn, the better they get.

Songwriters never really "learn" anything. They write some songs they think sound good, then struggle to develop.
>>
>>74415514
Jazz/classical musicians have to compose music almost constantly out of necessity (jazz is just a form of live composition), whereas most musicians of other stripes tend to compose music only intermittently (eg. only in preparation for putting a new album together every couple of years) or hardly at all (if they start employing songwriters.) Consequently the former tend to get consistently better at it over time, whereas the latter are often stuck starting out repeatedly at a relative beginner level due to lack of practice.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.