[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Dummy? I think it holds up remarkably well despite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (84KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
84KB, 300x300px
Thoughts on Dummy? I think it holds up remarkably well despite being 2 decades old, just about. Only thing I don't like about it is that it can get a little one-note after the first half.
>>
>>74387376
I like it. Amazing vocals, relaxing, moody. Gets a bit repetitive yeah. Going to check out the subsequent albums soon.
>>
I'd agree with that. The vocals almost sound timid compared with later albums, like she didn't really find her voice til the second album. But I think that still works fine with the music.
>>
>>74387505
Third is amazing; it shows that the band understands their strengths even when producing music thats much different from their previous work. Usually bands that change their style up end up shitting the bed but not Portishead.
>>
>>74387376
This album never really clicked for me. There's other atmospheric and jazzy dance artists that I'd rather listen to.
>>
What are some albums like Dummy and Third?
>>
>>74387376
It's bad. I had a friend staying with me for a few months and this album was how he fell asleep. After two listens I realized how lame it really is.
>>
lyrics are so bad, it's just unbearable
>>
File: 1466831925070.jpg (69KB, 720x511px) Image search: [Google]
1466831925070.jpg
69KB, 720x511px
>>74387376
the follow up and live album are better, but they're all classic

portishead is one of the greatest to ever do it
>>
no i think its meh.
always thought portishead was overrated

this was much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eBZqmL8ehg
>>
I think its impeccable and their best. It found its own style and mood, but also had the good sense to pepper nearly every track with its own distinct element so no two songs are exact retreads. I think the self-titled pushed the aesthetic further but had less variety in the songwriting, while Third had phenomenal variety but slightly more inconsistent song quality. To me, Dummy is the record where they had their cake and ate it too, did something rather novel and explored it at length without really overstaying its welcome. Doesn't really miss a beat for me anywhere.
>>
>>74389312
I've fallen asleep to this album too, but I considered it a plus. Not many albums I can fall asleep to.

>>74389395
I am curious to see examples of what kind of lyrics you do like. Not trying to start an argument, just interested in understanding other people's tastes.
>>
>>74389632
>I am curious to see examples of what kind of lyrics you do like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7h3bd2YSWs
>>
>>74389632
I agree, not many albums are this boring.
>>
The Portishead album I like the most. It's just good to listen to. No real stand-out tracks to me, but flows really together and I definitely like having it on all the way the through.
>>
>>74389652
Thank you, those actually are pretty good lyrics.

>>74389659
See, I don't find it boring really, just relaxing. Here's your (you) though.
>>
>>74387376
I'm a big fan of downtempo and triphop but I have never liked this album
>>
>>74389586
This. The album exist in its own world, it give me chills every time i return.

I would like to see what could happen after Third but as time pass i loose my hope they do 4th album
>>
>>74389834

That could go either way. The reason Portishead have been so consistent is because they don't put something out unless they know they've got something good on their hands. There was an 11 year gap between S/T and Third so I wouldn't count anything out just yet. If inspiration hits them, we'll see a fourth. Having said all that, I don't know what they have left to prove at this point. S/T showed they owned the sound and Third showed they weren't pigeonholed by it, not a whole lot left to say.
>>
>>74389495
Sneaker Pimps got a lot of hate for making a poppy sound.
I think Becoming X is really decent, and everything after that when they changed singers was good too.

>>74389784
Maybe it's the mood you don't like? It can get a bit melancholy and dreary after Strangers until it picks up around Biscuit or Glory Box.
>>
>>74387376
A classic for the centuries to come
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.