[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Nirvana anywhere near as revered as they are today if Kurt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 8

File: MAR-17-NIRV.jpg (235KB, 1500x841px) Image search: [Google]
MAR-17-NIRV.jpg
235KB, 1500x841px
Would Nirvana anywhere near as revered as they are today if Kurt didn't blow his brains out?
>>
>>74384704
they would be less popular with normies and on reddit and they would be more popular on mu
>>
File: 1450321940668.jpg (46KB, 524x526px)
1450321940668.jpg
46KB, 524x526px
>>74384704
they would be considered a shitty grunge band like all the others.
instead that idiot killed himself and boom, nevermind is the best album ever.
>>
>>74384704
>*murdered
Depends, they were honestly on a role after incesticide and In Utero. From what I heard from Kurts home samples, they were pretty gud. But of course, no band can make good music forever.

Actually, I just remembered that if Kurt wasn't murdered, he would have left the band and maybe go solo or quit. So yea, they would be revered anyways since they were the only relatively huge Grune bands.
>>
>>74384704
yes.

because nirvana are cool.
>>
That didn't do anything The Pixies already hadn't done. Bleach is actually the least they ripped off others.
>>
>>74384704
Kurt Cobain would have become a drug-addicted, washed up, delusional embarrassment in the vein of his wife and Scott Weiland.
Nirvana's next album following In Utero would receive a positive but unspectacular critical response. Every album after that would receive increasingly middling and indifferent reviews and the band's commercial fortunes would decline significantly with every new album.
They would continue making records well into their 40s, albeit Grohl and Novoselic would both leave before the end of the 90s.
Nirvana would end up being treated the same way that The Smashing Pumpkins and Oasis are treated(albeit they wouldn't be able to fill up arenas on old glory the way that Oasis did all the way up until their breakup9: a band everyone would do their best to imagine broke up in the mid-90s.
>>
>>74384810
>le copy meme
Name me five(5) songs across the board that sounds anything remotely like the pixies.
>>
>>74384798
>murdered
What is the evidence for this?
>>
>>74384810
>The Pixies
>>
>>74384704
No, they would have gone the parh of 80% of 90s bands. AKA pearl jamming
>>
File: MoreThanAFeeling%28Boston%29.jpg (66KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MoreThanAFeeling%28Boston%29.jpg
66KB, 300x300px
>>74384831
heaps
there's been documentaries and stuff
>>
>>74384831
Courtney's strange attitude, coincident that Kurt was going to divorce and rework assets, and the fact that the report doesn't add up. Also Courtney apparently adding a few sentences to a mere band breakup letter, turning it into a suicide note.
>>
They'd be looked at the same way we look at Guns N Roses.
>>
>>74384898
also the actual method of suicide makes no sense
>>
>>74385020
Yeah, who kills themselves with a fucking shotgun?
>>
>>74385020
>>74385040
There was a magazine called Answer Me! that had an issue with a picture of a guy who blew his head off with a shotgun and it's believed Kurt read the magazine and it gave him the idea.
>>
>>74384898
it was assisted suicide, kurt planned to kill himself with drugs but was too much of a pussy so he had his inner circle of addicts blow his brains out
>>
>>74384704
Honestly, they probably would have broken up anyway since it was pretty clear that Kurt didn't like being a huge rockstar. They would still probably be considered a great band, but they wouldn't be nearly as romanticized as they currently are by teenage girls and angsty teenage boys.
>>
>>74385040
not to mention injecting yourself with a lethal dose of heroin and then being able to maneuver the shotgun the way he did
>>
Its fucking stupid, because all people want to do nowadays is just show emotion and prove to people they are hurt, like when Kurt Cobain died, literally everybody jumped in on it screeching "Don't you dare say they were bad,he died (although I know fuckall about them its just to show that I'm hurt by it)" shit like that happened in my town, was even funnier tho.
>guy gets in bar fight
> just some normie who people saw at the skate park
> gets his fuckin head beat in and dies
> suddenly he's an angel who was everybody's close friend
> people saying dhit like "Oh he worked with me 5 years back, hessuch a good guy."
>>
>>74384959
Except GnR never did anything worthwhile or revolutionary. GnR made a few albums that are only good when compared to the rest of the shit that was 80's glam/hair metal.
>>
>>74385174
I don't really disagree but GNR had a big cultural impact. They have a lasting appeal and a reunion tour over the past two years that reaches beyond cultural nostalgia compared to acts like Bon Jovi or Skid Row or whatever.

Nirvana would be the same way.
>>
>>74385241
if kurt didn't die it's likely that the post-grunge stuff never would have happened. people in this thread comparing nirvana to alice and chains or soundgarden obviously were not aware of instant classic status of nevermind.

maybe they would have followed in utero up with garbage, but they probably would have broken up by 1995. ample time for rock radio to shift in a meaningful way
>>
>>74385152
Please don't talk about drugs if you don't know what they'll do to you.
>>
What is their best album anyway?
>>
>>74384739
this is correct
>>
>>74385341
The ironic thing about Nirvana is how everyone claims that these guys saved music from the death grips of Hair Metal, yet at the same time, they paved the way for post-Grunge, which was arguably worse than Hair Metal ever was in terms of shallowness and over saturation on the airwaves.
>>
yeah it could be said that post-grunge was the final nail in the coffin for mainstream rock music. although it's hard to say maroon 5 or fallout boy or imagine dragons are even rock anymore, i don't think a good rock song has been in the top 40 for at least a decade
>>
Yea, since they single handily btfo glam shit and dad rock. I don't think anyone here remembers just how big Grunge, let alone Nirvana were at the time.
>>
>>74385962
meant for
>>74385644
>>
>>74384704
Depends what they released next. And like previously stated they wouldn't be as liked by NORMIES seeing as they were trying to be less radio friendly. So they probably would have made a album that's heavy and hard but experiments in new grounds
>>
>>74384704
they would still be shit, but more people would acknowledge the fact.
>>
>>74388102
false.
>>
>>74384821
Imagine his shitposting on twitter.
>>
ITT: Underages
When Nevermind came out it was the most popular album from that era.
>>
>>74385644
You can't blame post grunge on nirvana just others who wanted their audience without the work of making music, they also copied pearl jam
>>
people seem to forget they were popular as fuck before he killed himself
>>
They were big and assuming they probably would have released a few more popular albums. In the end though, it's probably better off that he died before the band jumped the shark. If they released an album this year it would be guaranteed shit compared to their earlier work, like any band that goes on beyond 20 years.
>>
>>74384810
>The Pixies
>Bleach is the least they ripped off
>Implying Melvins don't exist

This post is a mess
>>
>>74385433
Incesticide>Bleach>In Utero>Nevermind
>>
File: 1497848484787.png (239KB, 402x526px) Image search: [Google]
1497848484787.png
239KB, 402x526px
>>74384898
Imagine being retarded enough to legitimately think Courtney Fucking Love is capable of pulling all of that off

w h e w
>>
>>74389499
Fuck off, Courtney. I fucking hate you for taking away kurt you fucking roastie junkie whore!@!!!
>>
Foo Fighters would never exist, so maybe the timeline where Cobain didn't paint the walls with his own face wouldn't be that bad.
>>
No but they wouldn't be heralded much less. Their music was excellent. All that him killing himself did was prevent them from tarnishing their legacy by putting out bad records. However, they could have just as easily put out more good records and improved their legacy even more, so it's hard to say.
>>
>>74389359
Yeah, but it's a question of sustainability. Would they have remained that popular had Kurt not killed himself, or would they have gone the way of pretty much every other band that was popular during that time period?
>>
>>74389596
I don't think it's unlikely they would have kept putting out good records and maintained their popularity. Over the same timeframe, bands such as Radiohead, the Peppers, and U2 were able to keep it going.
>>
>>74389637
That's true. But imagine if, say, during U2's prime years, Bono decided to kill himself one day and the band broke up. How would they be seen today? The same way Nirvana is?
>>
>>74384831
Also there was enough heroin found in him to kill him. Which makes the decision to use a shotgun confusing.
>>
>>74389679
It's hard to answer hypotheticals like this, but let's say Bono kills himself after Zooropa, which most people consider the last "great" U2 record.

What would have ended up bolstering their legacy more over the next twenty years, them NOT releasing the following substandard albums, or them touring non-stop and building an international brand? I think a lot of us feel that suicide always improves an act's legacy but there's something to be said about billions of dollars worth of tickets.
>>
>>74384739
FPBP
>>
>>74384810
>Bleach is actually the least they ripped off others
it sounds like the melvins though
>>
>>74384798
He wouldn't have quit the band his contract was for 6 albums iirc so by the mid 2000s he would have burnt out and turned to shitty pop rock or he would have said fuck everybody and put out albums with lots of noise rock influences in there. Or Dave would have had a bigger role in songwriting and half the songs on the first Foo Fighters record would have been recorded with Nirvana
>>
>>74384821
i think they would've broken up right after in utero and kurt would have went solo
>>
>>74385644
Bush was responsible for post grunge. Their first album is literally "moderately attractive young guy from England listens to Smells Like Teen Spirit once and makes 10 songs just like it"
>>
>>74389858
Nah, their last album would have been around 2000, leaving their legacy as Nirvana intact, then the breakup and solo careers.
>>
File: nirvana feels.jpg (240KB, 945x945px) Image search: [Google]
nirvana feels.jpg
240KB, 945x945px
>Kurt will never uncommit suicide and make nice folksy acoustic rock in the vein of their Unplugged concert

why even live
>>
>>74389588
>Cobain didn't paint the walls with his own face wouldn't be that bad.
Where did this meme come from? The gun he was murdered with wasn't powerful enough to completely destroy your head...
>>
>>74389765
Yeah, there are multiple metrics by which you can measure a band's success. One is, of course, financial success, which is arguably the most objective. But I don't think a band's influence and legacy can be properly reflected in strictly monetary terms. I mean, look at Nickleback; they're one of the most commercially successful bands of the century, but they haven't influenced shit. So, I suppose the question is, how much would U2's legacy/influence have been bolstered if Bono did die after Zooropa dropped? It's completely hypothetical, but it's sort of akin to OP's question, which basically asks the same thing but in reverse, what would Nirvana's legacy/influence be like had Cobain lived.
>>
>>74384704
Certainly, because in 1991 (3 years before Kurt's death) the band was already very famous and popular, and their second album was selling like water. With time, his death brought a little bit more attention to the band's legacy, but most of their fame is due to their music and performances indeed. Suck that, hipsters.
>>
>>74390271
>One is, of course, financial success, which is arguably the most objective
I didn't mean it exactly like this. If you sell billions of dollars of tickets, yes it means you made a lot of money, but it means you have a LOT of fans that are going to see you and talk about you and listen to you. This is a part of cultural influence, and a major factor for legacies. I guess this could have been a point I made earlier: are we evaluating an act's legacy through a "normie" lens, or an "artistic" lens. Certainly U2's artistic legacy is bolstered if Bono dies after Zooropa, but their "normie" cultural legacy would be less. People in the world would care less, people on /mu/ would care more.

As for Nickelback, I don't think that's a totally fair comparison. U2 is more more commercially successful, and also artistically successful. As for
>but they haven't influenced shit
I don't like Nickelback anymore than you do, but this isn't true. They may have influenced bands that sucked and we don't like but that doesn't mean they didn't influence anyone.

So back to Nirvana, if they keep on trucking and putting out records that are anywhere from a 7 to an 8 out of 10, how is their legacy affected from a cultural perspective, and then from an artistic perspective ? This is hard to answer because they were already so successful in both areas.
>>
>>74384831
No finger-prints on his shotgun? And interviews with him from just weeks before his death where he says he's happy and his daughter gave him a good reason to keep on living?
>>
I really hope people aren't basing these "facts" from (((Tom Grant)))
>>
>>74389963
>Bush was responsible for post grunge.

Nah, post-grunge was already becoming a thing in 1993 thanks to the likes of Candlebox and Collective Soul. It just didn't completely take over until the likes of Bush and Live showed up.

Gavin Rossdale was just in the right place at the right time when Cobain blew his brains out and someone else immediately had to fill in the gap when it came to an unconventionally sexy frontman playing distorted pop-rock with wide appeal.
>>
>>74390416
Maybe Nickleback was a bad example, but what I was getting that is that commercial success doesn't necessarily always translate into having a great influence or legacy. It might garner you a lot of fans, but what about musical influence? Sure, you can say that Nickleback influenced some other shitty bands that came after them, but if said bands are relatively unknown and unpopular, is it really any legacy to speak of?

But I see your point about Nirvana, they were already wildly successful before Cobain died, so that kind of makes the question redundant, but at the same time, you're still delving into a hypothetical scenario if you assume that they would have kept making consistently good albums after In Utero. They might not have, and instead they may have made albums that were gradually worse both in terms of critical and commercial success. If that were to be the case, then that would have been a dampener on their overall legacy today. But, like you said, they were at the height of their popularity when Cobain died, so they never got the chance to make a bad project.
>>
>>74384704
Absolutely. Especially had they broken up. But even if not they would have a similar status as Pearl Jam. Meaning whenever they get brought up they would be talked about mostly in the past tense and the footage shown of them would be from the late 80s and early 90s and then they would cap on some thing saying "And here they are now, still rocking out today!" and show a clip of fat kurdt being edgy.
>>
>>74390025
>kurt will never make god-tier collab album with michael stipe
>kurt will never make amazing final nirvana album that combines the sound of in utero with the sound of unplugged
>kurt will never make god-tier folksy solo debut that is just as acclaimed as anything by nirvana
>kurt will never go through late 90s/early 00s experimental electronic phase and inadvertently make a genre defying and boundary pushing masterpiece that sits alongside kid a
>kurt will never tour and collab with radiohead
>kurt will never continue to release a string of solo albums that never disappoint
>dave grohl will never NOT form the foo fighters and be a dadrock faggot

Fuck this timeline
>>
>>74390912
As a thought experiment, let's look at an act that has an amazing run of albums, then went to shit in his old age: Bruce Springsteen. Most people would say his last great album is Tunnel of Love. Would The Boss' legacy be different if he had been murdered or died after that record? I don't think it would be. I think when your prime work is strong enough it's all people consider when they evaluate your legacy. So even if Nirvana tapered off eventually in the late-00s to present day, I think in people's "head-canon" they would only evaluate the best/earliest material. Like you said though, a question like this is essentially impossible to answer. It is fun to think about though.
>>
>>74384827
Smells like = U mass
Frances Farmer = Gouge Away

I could prob think of more right now if I tried but nobody is paying me to do so.
However, I love both bands immensely, but as I have grown older, I still listen to the Pixies regularly but Nirvana is only on occasion (maybe once a year)
>>
File: feel.png (219KB, 492x315px) Image search: [Google]
feel.png
219KB, 492x315px
>>74390989
This post actually made me sad. What a fucking waste of talent.
>>
>>74391173
I never really understoof the Pixies-Nirvana comparison. I've heard every song by both bands 10+ times, and they really don't sound that similar. Just in terms of vocals, Frank and Kurt sound very different, and the Pixies have the added element of Kim singing. To me it's like saying the Peppers sound like Pearl Jam. Sure they're both rock, but I mean, Metallica and the Beatles are both rock. Even within the same genre, Metallica and Megadeth sound pretty different. Even if they did sound the same, music's not really a competition. If they're both good, listen to them both.
>>
>>74384798
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-dAIz2FfmA
>on a role after incesticide and in Utero.
sure
>>
>>74391240
I think it's mostly a comparison to the "quiet-loud" dynamic that Pixies had coined and Nirvana being an early adopter of that style
>>
>>74391077
Yeah, it is. These kinds of "What-if" questions get asked all the time. We're all naturally curious about this kind of thing.
>>
>>74391338
>Pixies are the only band that's allowed to go from quiet to loud
What a dumb criticism
>>
>>74391173
>Smells like = U mass

You're retarded. Also, Nirvana are undoubtedly influenced by The Pixie (and Kurt admitted this over and over) but the biggest thing they took from them was the loud/soft dynamic which they utilized in most of their biggest hits.

Musically, tonally and vocally they have a lot less in common.
>>
>>74391338
I can see that, but calling Nirvana a "rip-off" is quite the stretch, which is something I've heard a lot of people say.

>>74391358
You know what my favourite "What-if" in music is? Buddy Holly. Dude was 22 when he died. Imagine him in his prime during the album era of the mid-late 60s? Now THAT'S a waste of talent.
>>
>>74391318
>after in utero

That song was recorded during the in utero sessions. Also, it is great.
>>
>>74390989
Also,
>Kurt will never tour with Oasis and bro out
>Kurt will never publicly make up with Axl
>Kurt will never possibly tease Green Day for being cringy posers
>Kurt will never give his opinions on Nickleback and Linkin Park
>Kurt will never flip his shit and have a complete meltdown on twitter when Trump won the presidency
>>
>>74391240
I understand what you mean, but I meant as more of a 'vibe'. Metallica and Beatles might both sound the same, but if I was listening to metallica I would feel like like booming megadeth, not the beatles, and if I was listening to the beatles, I would feel like listening to a bit of tame Impala. They don't sound the same, but the have the same 'feel'.
In the same way, Pixies and Nirvana are of the same 'family of sound'. the song-structures, the guitar/vocal/bass dynamics, the themes to a certain extent IMO
>>
>>74391425
Nahh,I think Kurt would have liked early 94'-00' era Green Day,I mean Joey Ramone liked them
>>
>>74391377
>You are retarded.

So eloquent, you should try and be a musician yourself, I'm sure you'll drop more nuggets of wisdom such as this.
>>
>>74391425
I really wonder what he would have thought about nu metal.
>>
>>74391425
>Kurt will never tour with Oasis and bro out

I could deffo see Cobain snorting coke with the Gallaghers at an MTV awards show.
>>
>>74391446
Fair point. I wonder sometimes though if some people who call bands "rip-offs" or say "it was done before by x" will actually go out of their way to NOT listen to them. A lot of people here speak in hyperbole so I wonder if they actually back up their words with actions. Limiting the amount of music you're able to enjoy doesn't seem very smart to me.
>>
>>74391389
>You know what my favourite "What-if" in music is? Buddy Holly.
Same, and Ritchie Valenz. If I remember they both died in the plane crash, right? Very Unfortunate. I remember listening to some of Ritchie's and Holly's songs and being very sad after learning they died before their time. They were great.
>>
>>74391538
>If I remember they both died in the plane crash, right?
Yes, along with the Big Bopper. What other acts died in place crashes? I know Lynyrd Skynyrd died that way too. I hate when artists die, regardless of how much I liked their music. I always feel it's the ultimate waste. I didn't like Linkin Park at all but I was still sad that Chester died. SOMEONE liked that music.
>>
File: (you).jpg (6KB, 187x269px)
(you).jpg
6KB, 187x269px
>>74391318
>Implying its bad
>>
>>74391530
>>74391446
>>74391173

Yeah rip-off is a stupid word. The riff might or might not be the same notes,measure or timing, but i is the way the sound is used that matters in my opinion.
I might have oversimplified when I used the '=' sign, but my previous post is what I meant by it.
For example, The four horsemen and mechanix are literally the same song, but the way they use the riffs, timing and themes respectively make them two entities, i like four hoursemen more tho
>>
File: 137298189191.jpg (58KB, 283x343px) Image search: [Google]
137298189191.jpg
58KB, 283x343px
>>74390989
>dave grohl will never NOT form the foo fighters and be a dadrock faggot
Feelsbadman.
>>
>>74391594
>What other acts died in place crashes?
Otis Redding, I think.
>>
>>74391625
Four Horsemen might be my favorite Metallica song. That thing is so cool. I went to see them during their Death Magnetic tour and I was really happy with the amount of Kill 'Em All songs that were played.
>>
>>74391782
You're right. Damn that one really stings. 26 years old. Just missed the club
>>
>>74391504
I am a musician. Maybe that's why I can tell that when you say something like "U Mass = Teen Spirit" you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>74391806
>Just missed the club
How big is that list, anyway?
I know there's:
- Kurt Cobain
- Jimi Hendrix
- Jim Morrison

Anyone else?
>>
>>74391844
Ok Superstar, you can diss me on live TV next time Letterman calls you on his show
>>
>>74391904
Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse
>>
>>74390920
Would Kurt ever get fat if he was still alive?
>>
>>74391904
Oh, and some lesser known ones that are often overlooked
Pete Ham from Badfinger
D. Boon from the Minutemen
Mia Zapata from the Gits
Alan Wilson from Canned Heat
and me in 4 years time.
>>
>>74390920
This. Pearl Jam is actually a very good comparison because the two bands were seen as pretty much equals in terms of success and artistic merit. It may be hard for a lot of people to remember, but Eddie Vedder was seen as just as much of a tortured artist at the time; there was tons of stuff in the press about his reluctance to be famous and fucked up childhood. At the height of their fame, Pearl Jam stepped back from fame and deliberately took steps to alienate many of their fans. They stopped making music videos, they made albums with a bunch of weird, experimental content to mess with people, and they sued Ticketmaster, which destroyed their ability to tour.

They did all of that to maintain a sense of integrity, and they're still remembered as washed-up sellouts by most people today. They still have a pretty devoted fanbase, but most people don't care about them anymore. No matter what Nirvana would have done, something similar would have happened. When someone dies young, it's easier to retain an idealized image of them, and kids keep finding the story of a tragic death romantic and repeatable. Bands that still exist always eventually become bands that used to be cool.
>>
>>74391973
>>74391973
>>74392146
Robert Jhonson
>>
>>74392002
It's pretty hard for heroin addicts to get fat I think.
>>
>>74392222
Nice quads. Oh fucking yeah, the one that started it all.
>>
>>74384768
this post really screams underage
>>
>>74384821
wow almost like pearl jam but without the drugs
>>
>>74391425
Kek. Some of this would be p good to see. I know Krist and Dave have said they dig Green Day. But Kurt was always more picky so I dunno.

That last one would be disappointing to see tho
>>
>>74390989
>kurt will never go through late 90s/early 00s experimental electronic phase and inadvertently make a genre defying and boundary pushing masterpiece that sits alongside kid a

I was gonna give you shit for this one. But somehow I could actually see it happening. Although even if he did go that route I doubt he would have made a GOOD electronic album
>>
>>74392216
True, same can be said for hip hop, I don't listen to new rap that much but the new kids constantly diss elder rappers and old heads, maybe in jest but that's basically the same thing...the perceived value of their contribution decreases proportional to their relevance to modern society and the 'now'
>>
>>74392452
>But Kurt was always more picky so I dunno.
Oh yea, he hated anything machismo or fake. Which I find myself imagining Kurt dissing Green Day since they were the stereotypical "punk".

>That last one would be disappointing to see tho

Yea, but Kurt was the original sjw/"libtard". So it wouldn't be surprising in the slightest.
>>
>>74391425
Sad... I'd love to see his opinion on Linkin Park and Radiohead's OK Computer and Kid A and such.
>>
>>74389388
kurt has good taste in music and his musical ventures from like 1993 onwards were eccentric and nuanced, there's no way he would've kept the band together after in utero even after acknowledging that theres a formula to their music
>>
>>74390062
>Where did this meme come from?
action movies depictions of what a shotgun does
>>
>>74392580
>Oh yea, he hated anything machismo or fake.

Cobain secretly worshipped Metallica and toured with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He had no issues with machismo.
The only reason he claimed to hate Guns N Roses was because they were the biggest band in the world at a time when he wanted to have the biggest band in the world. He saw them as competition. The "Axl Rose is a macho homophobe and that's why I hate him" thing was just a cover-up for his commercial ambitions.
>>
>>74392911
>The only reason he claimed to hate Guns N Roses was because they were the biggest band in the world at a time when he wanted to have the biggest band in the world.
Huh? But isn't it well-documented that worldwide fame was the last thing Cobain wanted and he hated it? It's one of the main things that drove him off the deep end. I highly doubt that Kurt would want to compete with anyone to be the most popular act in the world.
>>
>>74392911
To be fair though, I think he really only enjoyed really early Metallica, and while this is pure speculation I would bet that if he had been asked about it he would have said it was something he was into more as a kid.

As for RHCP he seemed to get along with Flea a little bit but I find it hard to believe he actually enjoyed their music.

When it comes to Green day though I don't think they came off as very macho anyway. If Kurt would have hated them it probably would have been due to them being so successful and he would have called them watered down Punk or something.
>>
>>74392489
I mean New Order made a great electronic album...I could see Kurt going avant-garde, maybe sampling too?
I think sampling is a pretty 'punk' ideology
>>
>>74392911
>Cobain secretly worshipped Metallica and toured with the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Huh, I didn't know about the Metallica one. I was aware that he did have his "guilty pleasures" in dad rock like Aerosmith and Van Halen. But if that's the case, why did he hate Pearl Jam? If I remember correctly, I think he hated the whole "poser" attitude they carried, and that they were sexist like glam rock or some shit.
>>
>>74392982
>When it comes to Green day though I don't think they came off as very macho anyway
I don't they he would have called them macho(they seriously looked like little scrawny bitches, like all punk acts tbqhwy). I think he would have called them posers or try hards, or water down punk like you said.
>>
>>74392974
>But isn't it well-documented that worldwide fame was the last thing Cobain wanted and he hated it?
That's what he said to the media, and people keep repeating it because it makes for a better story, but it's not true at all. Kurt was pretty die-hard about wanting to be a rockstar, and did things like refuse to work so he could spend more time writing songs, and firing bandmates who didn't take the band seriously enough. He used his connections with the Melvins to get studio time with Jack Endino, who he later got to talk Sub Pop into giving him a record deal. He sent demos and letters to every major label begging them for a chance; I think Dave Grohl even admits that the first thing Kurt said to David Geffen was that he wanted to be the biggest band in the world. Even after getting famous, he didn't really do anything to stop it; he kept appearing on MTV all the time, doing interviews, and making videos, even after Pearl Jam had stopped because they had gotten tired of fame.

I think one of the major breaking points for Kurt was realizing that the one real goal he'd had in his life (getting famous and being a rockstar) sucked. He probably didn't know what to do with himself when he figured that out, which lead to the drugs and eventual suicide.
>>
>>74392911
>The "Axl Rose is a macho homophobe and that's why I hate him" thing was just a cover-up for his commercial ambitions.
but Axl threatened to beat kurt up and threatened his wife like some faggot
>>
>>74393031
>But if that's the case, why did he hate Pearl Jam?
They were his main competition. Pearl Jam actually sold more records than Nirvana at one point, and Kurt hated that. He might have publicly said that they were posers (which everyone in Seattle knew was bullshit, Stone and Jeff had way more credibility there than Kurt did), but that wasn't the real reason. He was even friends with Eddie Vedder.
>>
>>74393155
HEY AXL HEY AXL HEY AXL HEY AXL HEY AXL!
>>
>>74391594
There's a considerably famous Brazilian post-punk/ska band (was one of the most popular there in the 80s) that ended up losing quite a few of its members in a plane crash - Paralamas do Sucesso. Scott LaFaro's death was in a car crash, but damn that one stung.
>>
>>74393138
>>74392974
>*murder
>>
>>74391904
>>74392146
>>74392222
Jeremy Ward (The Mars Volta, De Facto); Dave Alexander (The Stooges); Chris Bell (Big Star); Pete de Freitas (Echo and the Bunnymen); Kristen Pfaff (Hole); Richey Edwards (Manic Street Preachers) also enter the club.
>>
>>74393261
Shut up.
>>
>>74390439
>why would people lie in an interview
source on no fingerprints?
>>
>>74385040
My brother's neighbor did. He went in the place afterwards. Said it "smelled horrible"
>>
>>74393155
Could Axl have beaten Kurt up?
>>
>>74384768
??? Nevermind was already "the best album ever" in 1992 long before Kurt had his brains blown out.
>>
>>74393588
yes
>>
>>74384704
They would still be considered one of the greatest rock bands of all time, when Nevermind dropped they were the biggest band in the world and maintained that for several years.
>>
>>74390989
>>74391425
Well at least he sang for Earth on some on their early releases. Would be interesting to hear Kurt getting into drone/sludge. Imagine a collab with Boris since they love that sort of thing.
>>
>>74393368
>why would anyone lie about his death having been a suicide
>>
>>74392489
True,every member of Radiohead knows their craft very well a.k.a. music theory and to make a good electronic album more detailed knowledge in music theory is somewhat important and that is something none of the members of Nirvana had.
>>
>>74394125
>and that is something none of the members of Nirvana had.
Isn't it common knowledge that Kurt knew music theory? I mean, the guy would make some catchy riffs and basically spit ball lyrics and they would still sound good. Also, their drummer was probably the best in their era...I say PROBABLY because I might be forgetting other drummers.
>>
>>74384821
Damn dude you really worked hard on this
>>
>>74394188
I heard he knew the basic stuff that everyone who plays guitar knows and nothing particulary special. He just had a good ear for melody,which many basic rock musicians do by proxy
>>
>>74384821
>albeit they wouldn't be able to fill up arenas on old glory the way that Oasis did all the way up until their breakup
wat
They were bigger than Oasis ever were. It's almost guaranteed they would have filled up more. This is bait, right?
>>
>>74393588
hell yea look up picks of kurt with a tshirt he looks like a twig. + heroin addiction + drug lifestyle in general and he is basically knocking on deaths door
>>
>>74393695
>maintained that for several years.
2 years
>>
>>74384704
It was with a shotgun, wasn't it? I've seen on this very site what a face looks like after it's been blasted with a shotgun shell. It's not even a face anymore. It's just a red, messy chunk of meat. Just imagine the emotional and mental trauma that the person who first found his must have gone through after seeing it. His face would have been completely unrecognisable.
>>
>>74394125
The members of Radiohead don't know music theory much, only Johnny is fluent in it. They do know the basics and have good ear for how a song should sound.

>>74394188
Kurt knew very basic music theory. Dave Grohl was the best drummer in that area, yeah, though Jimmy Chamberlin probably had him beat overall; that said, Dave's style fit Kurt's perfectly.

I don't know how to feel about Krist in terms of his musical prowess, but he fit very well with the band and honestly had an underrated sense of microtiming.
>>
>>74394434
>that said, Dave's style fit Kurt's perfectly.
Kurt ended up hating Dave, didn't he?
>>
>>74394486
no he didnt hate him just that his ideas were boring, like the riff for scentless apprentice
>>
>>74393588
Anybody could have beaten up Kurt he was like 120 pounds and could barely hold his own guitars during shows sometimes.
>>
>>74394414
It was some electrician who came to work on the house. He went inside and saw Kurt's feet on the floor in the other room. He went to check on him and called the police
>>
>>74394434
I always feel like Krist was just in the band because he was best friends with Kurt.
>>
>>74395005
>I always feel like Krist was just in the band because he was best friends with Kurt.
Pretty much. He did good tho.
>>
>>74385156
u sound bitter senpai
>>
>>74384739
accurate
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.