[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time for a little story. A story of why I would like to direct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 5-The-Masquerade-Overture.jpg (146KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
5-The-Masquerade-Overture.jpg
146KB, 500x500px
Time for a little story. A story of why I would like to direct gratitude towards this board.

It was six years ago it happened, about this time of the year. I don't remember the exact date, but it was August. I was browsing /mu/ as I more commonly did back then, I'm not here often anymore. I came upon a thread that was titled "Bands only you listen to" or similarly. Being in a receptive mood towards new music, I scrolled through the thread for a while.

Someone, it may even have been the OP, posted a song by a trio called Paintbox. They were using some string instruments, and I think I recall a cajón as well. I don't remember how it sounded at all, but I know it was interesting enough that I went on Youtube to look them up a bit more. I stumbled upon a video called "Paintbox - Pendragon". Interesting song title, I thought, so I clicked it and listened.

It then fairly quickly dawned on me that the song wasn't called Pendragon at all, the song was called Paintbox, by a band called Pendragon. The album cover the song was from, pic related, was as usual the sole image for the video, but the band logo wasn't clear enough to me at the time that I could tell what it said. So while I had my doubts about band name and song title from the start, it was finally clear when the word "Paintbox" was first sung.

But I kept listening, because I liked what I heard. It had that level of melody and melancholy that just hits the right spots for me, from the soft intro, through the catchy part where the drums first come in, through the soft ending.
"This is really neat", I though, and found another song from the same album, The Shadow. The melody and melancholy was just as present, but the song was in some ways better still than Paintbox, and I was at this stage in love with both songs.

Cont.
>>
>>74382227
So I looked up the band because I wasn't sure what the genre was called. Wikipedia called it neo-progressive rock, and looking at a description of the genre, it stated something to the effect of using keyboards more heavily than regular prog rock, and the melancholic feeling present in both previously mentioned songs is characteristic for the genre.
This was my first real exposure to prog rock, not counting the couple of Pink Floyd hits one has heard previously. After this, I started to listen to their entire discography, and I loved just about all of it, with few exceptions.

Suffice to say, Pendragon has ever since become my number one favourite band, because they just hit all the musical G-spots in me, their music resonates just perfectly with me.

And this is why I would like to say thank you so fucking much /mu/, for this strange little coincidence that led me to discover them. One random thread about obscure music, and a Youtube video which was named the other way around (it should be [band name] - [song title] rather than the other way) found me my all-time favourite band, and this of course also led me unto the path of prog rock in general. I used to be an inveterate metalhead not long before this, since I was still 19 when it happened, so finding a whole lot of new favourite music has only made my life richer.

And it is thanks to this coincidence that I and a friend will be going to Tokyo next month to see them play a gig there. A roundabot way of seeing them, but they haven't played in my country (Sweden) since before I discovered them. I own three of their live DVDs, all of them quite recently recorded, and they still haven't grown tired despite going for almost 40 years, unlike the more famous bands from the old days like Whitesnake and Mötley Crüe. Seeing them in person and singing along with every song (yes, I know almost all their lyrics at this point) will be the coolest thing I'll have done.

So, again, thank you /mu/.
>>
>>74382234
Here is the song that started it all, Paintbox, in case anyone was curious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFD8Pf6cuG4
>>
>>74382227
Good read. Cool band, listening now. Thanks anon :)
>>
WTF I LOVE PENDRAGON NOW
>>
>>74382227
Wew surprising to see someone else who likes Pendragon

Do you like other neo-prog bands like Marillion, Arena and IQ?
>>
>>74382933
Likewise, friend. I've never encountered anyone in person who even knows about them, so it's a pleasure anytime I see someone who does.

I tried listening to Marillion a few years back, but what I heard sounded more like AOR in the veins of Bon Jovi than Pendragon, so I lost interest. But if you can recommend a good album, I can try again.

Arena are nice, can't go wrong with Clive Nolan. IQ I think I've heard a song or two from.

Speaking of Clive Nolan (he's also the keyboard player of Pendragon as I'm sure you know), one of his projects is Caamora, which is not so much a band as it is a musical company. They have produced two musicals so far, and while the story and acting may be on hobbysit level at best, the songs are absolutely GOAT. Can recommend that as well.
>>
>>74383051
Which albums by Marillion did you listen to? Their style was quite different since they changed the singer
Their first 4 albums with Fish are great

Also I recommend this album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DCjiYIxI8
>>
>>74383082
It wasn't any full albums, just a couple of songs. I don't remember much else. But I'll try those albums then. And I put that Galahad in my View Later list, looks interesting.

I must be off now, but here are some of Caamora's work if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDGTQ-vgXqU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwKcpis7goY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRuYMNLcLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoyCeOfKSUM
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.