[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The future belongs to the analog loyalists. Fuck digital

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 11

File: stevealbini1.jpg (87KB, 620x571px) Image search: [Google]
stevealbini1.jpg
87KB, 620x571px
>The future belongs to the analog loyalists. Fuck digital

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>74376801
So whats with him and trent reznor
Ive been curious
>>
>>74376801
og anal
my boy albini a stinky pinky devotee
>>
File: Bent Trent 4.jpg (165KB, 496x694px) Image search: [Google]
Bent Trent 4.jpg
165KB, 496x694px
>>74376830
>get invited to do some Pigface work
>Reznor already in creative lock down thanks to his war against TvT
>finally getting to do some new work with peers that are finally starting to respect him
>Albini gets assblasted and immediately start shitting on Reznor because he's the new guy
>>
>only people that can afford and are able to aquire expensive old equipment can make music
>anyone being able to make and release music regardless of what equipment they can afford is a bad thing
>being able to create literally unlimited sounds is bad, you should stick to the sounds people made 30 years ago
>i am a dumb rockist pedophile
>>
>>74376801
Licensing
>>
>>74376992
Back when he said this quote, digital hasn't completely taken over the industry , and analog recording equipment (professional or home use) was still cheap and widely available. Now his studio has Pro Tools.
>>
>>74377125
>analog recording equipment
>ever cheap

His studio has protools because it has to be a functioning pro studio that can cater to anything.
He still hates it and will always talk up analogue
>>
>>74376952
>Trent complains that the person who knows the most about what they should do shuts down ideas that probably would mess them up
>>
>>74377390
>knows the most about what they should do
>Albini

He's a glorified engineer that hasn't got a creative bone in his body.
>>
Just mic the room lmfao
>>
>>74377417
He's an admitted engineer, and a pretty good one. If Trent's going to complain the least he could do is tell the ideas that were supposedly unfairly shut down. Also, he made a lot of amazing albums in his own musical career.
>>
>>74377125
There's a video of him, not sure if it was recent, explaining how music made digitally would be incompatible with other DAWs in the future but I think that may be nulled out since you can just save the tracks as WAV or FLAC and you still have plenty of space yet he may have been referring to them at a point in time when they were still in its infancy but the argument does still have weight considering some 64-bit DAWs won't work with 32-bit VSTs anymore.
>>
>>74377466
Well he wasn't complaining about the ideas not being used, he was complaining about the rude way in which Albini shut them down.
>>
>>74377466
The quote comes from 1993, so Trent's bbeing a little sore. I imagine if approached nowadays, Reznor would be a little more self critical
>>
We must secure the existence of our audio equipment and a future for analog recordings.
>>
I deleted the article from Decibel but it's all about program licensing. That is 100% the only and exclusive reason. In 20 or 30 years he doesn't want toneed someone's permission to make recordings or even simply hear his own recordings. He can literally build a machine from scratch if he needs to.
>>
>>74377542
Well then that's just him being sensitive, Albini sort of has a reputation for that shit, if you didn't want people being rude to you then Albini should be your last choice.
>>
>>74377628
Or, maybe Albini can learn to not be such a dick?
No? Ok, well then people are allowed to criticize that.
>>
It means his work as a producer has been devalued, so he's biased by claiming that digital is inferior to analog
>>
>>74377811
>thinks an idea is bad and voices that opinion
>Trent then cries to a reporter calling him a cunt and claiming that he did it because he was supposedly bullied as a kid
>waaa he's too rude!
Trent confirmed for being a child
>>
>>74377929
>implying people don't always get shat on by everyone for not following social niceties
Especially in a work situation, It's called being professional
Any douche that acts like the boss and tells people to shut the fuck up for not being on their level is going to get people shit talking about them.
You either accept people criticizing you for being a dick or you stop being a dick.
That's how it works in the real world.
>>
>>74377517
It's not like it's any fun either to take a multitrack from one studio session and try to recreate the mix in a different studio with totally different gear.

Or you could just finish something and call it done forever.
>>
>>74377990
>You either accept people criticizing you for being a dick or you stop being a dick.
or if you're Albini, bitch and moan forever about every conceivable thing because you're a terminal contrarian
>>
>>74377990
>tells people to shut the fuck up for not being on their level
And where does Albini do that? Telling people that what he sees as a bad idea is a bad idea =/= telling them to stop giving ideas.
>>
>>74378062
Oh and I'm pretty sure that Albini has accepted the fact that he's a dick multiple times
>>
>>74378062
okay but the thing that you're apparently not getting is that you can communicate that in a mature and tactful way

and that's a good idea if you want to actually get something done at the end of the day
>>
>>74378096
>No, we're not going to try that
Not immature and perfectly tactful
>That's the worst idea I've ever heard
Obvious hyperbole, if you let that get to you then you're in the wrong
>>
>>74378062
>Telling people that what he sees as a bad idea is a bad idea =/= telling them to stop giving ideas.
It does depending on how you do it.
When most people hear "That's the worst idea I've ever heard" in response to one of their ideas, they're likely not going to offer an idea again.
If you're leading a creative team, that is the dumbest thing you could ever say, because you're not just shitting on that one person, you may be preventing one of their better ideas from coming out later, so you may be fucking yourself.
There are ways around it, "We could give it a try" "I don't think this is working, what else could we do?" "we can't do that because...."
Albini is not a leader, he's an audio nerd that hasn't had a lot of human interaction.
>>
>>74378122
>>74378122
>Not immature and perfectly tactful
>you're in the wrong

LMAO fuck off Steve, you're a complete autist.
>>
There's just so much more you can do with digital.
>>
>>74378214
Albini is fully committed to being passionately wrong about literally everything.
>>
>>74378197
not an argument

>>74378176
Yeah, pretty much. I don;t get why Trent would pick Albini still.
>>
>>74378247
I create entire songs from completely digital sounds. I create music that analog machines can't create. I don't know what he is on about, he probably thinks the bass guitar is a useful instrument
>>
>>74378176
Right, the point of working in a studio is to get the best out of everyone involved, not assert your ego.
>>
>>74377356
Analog is better, you obviously havent spent much time messing with gear.
>>
>>74378391
that's a fucking retarded blanket statement, go to bed Steve
>>
>>74378276
>I don;t get why Trent would pick Albini still.
He didn't, It was a Pigface session
>>
literally who
>>
>>74378460
Digital=R2D2 sounds
Analog=hardcore demonic
>>
>>74378499
So you're not aware that R2D2 was all analog synths? Stop huffing the tape head cleaner, Steve, you're getting dumber and dumber.
>>
>>74378489
what are you 12 years old? did you wander in here by accident?
>>
>>74378593
He hasn't been relevant in at least 15 years whether in front or behind the board
>>
>>74378645
there are still constant Nirvana threads and Songs About Fucking gets mentioned every 5 minutes or so

plus he's been reliable bait since forever
>>
>>74376801
The convenience of the internet age has let people have the free time to get more taste and realize analog sounds better than digital
>>
>>74378751
it sounds trendier than digital and enables more conspicuous consumption
>>
most peeps cant tell the difference
>>
>>74376801
He meant that it has absolutely nothing to do with recording. It has to do with playback. Analog playback will always be 100% guaranteed. Digital will always be dependent on proprietary software. That is why. It has nothing to do with sound quality.
>>
>>74378513
Holy shit youre dumb. You probably only embarassing music anyway like andrew wk or just generic soundclous rap beat with annoying treble noises
>>
>>74379014
What? Playing back CDs, mp3s, FLAC, wav, etc. isn't dependent on proprietary software.
>>
>>74379058
What the fuck kind of retarded assumption is that? You really shouldn't be calling other people dumb.
>>
>>74379225
Analog makes heavier sounds than digital, its necessary to make certain genres. Anyone who hasnt spent enough time with their gear to know this is a poser.
>>
>>74379319
>Analog makes heavier sounds than digital
What the fuck does "heavier" mean? I've never heard anyone claim that ever

>its necessary to make certain genres.
No it isn't you imbecile. That's a retarded generalization anyway. What are you even referring to? The recording process? The instruments? The playback medium?

>Anyone who hasnt spent enough time with their gear to know this is a poser.
I like that you throw in unwarranted condescension as though it bolsters your argument.

Now throw in another nonsensical comment about what I probably listen to.
>>
>>74379208
Albini is talking about actual master recordings. Analog is not dependent on anything except a machine that he can build from scratch. Digital will always keep him at the whims of other people.
>>
>>74379386
>What the fuck does "heavier" mean? I've never heard anyone claim that ever

Lmao you are not an artist
>>
>>74379411
>Analog is not dependent on anything except a machine that he can build from scratch.
Provided parts are being manufactured. You're not going to DIY a head.

>Digital will always keep him at the whims of other people.
Everything breaks someday, everything becomes obsolete. You work to make something now. It's kind of a shit argument.

And really there's a big enough industry here that this stuff will stay supported. It's not going to disappear overnight. And even if it does you can still run software on virtual machines or whatever.
>>
>>74379435
I am, actually. Feel free to make an actual point at any time.
>>
>>74379545
Ahahah i wasnt on the debate team in high school, jr
>>
File: 1500280414532.jpg (19KB, 325x314px) Image search: [Google]
1500280414532.jpg
19KB, 325x314px
>>74376801
Fuck digital CIA niggers he's right. He proved this with Kerosene and Passing Complexion Steve Albini is an American treasure.
>>
>>74377417
>not a creative bone in his body
>entirety of Big Black
You are a cuck he's great at what he does.
>>
>>74379523
According to Albini he can from literally scratch. However that specific part is just in Decibel article but the rest is in this interview I'm just now seeing for my first time "Steve Albini discusses why he sticker with analog". At one moment he does assert that analog has a higher resolution but regardless that's not ultimately why he does it.
>>
>>74379559
>>74379577
nice gibberish
>>
>>74376801
By future I think he just means the music's preservation-ability, and at optimal quality
I don't know I guess
>>
>>74379612
>According to Albini he can from literally scratch.
I strongly doubt it. Not a good one.

>At one moment he does assert that analog has a higher resolution
It demonstrably doesn't.

>>74379660
Vinyl is actually a good medium for longevity, but it's far from optimal quality. Tape doesn't age that well.
>>
>>74379609
then he's great at rehashing it forever and never progressing
>>
>>74379614
You fucking retard I'm not that guy and you don't even know about Terry so shut the fuck up you CIA NIGGER
>>
File: WOAH.png (354KB, 1024x1210px) Image search: [Google]
WOAH.png
354KB, 1024x1210px
Hey guys can we make this a Nirvana thread?
>>
>>74379733
After Big Black it takes a step down in quality but he's a pretty sharp dude and he's good at what he does. Steve Albini is good
>>
>>74379749
Terry A. Davis you mean? Yeah I know, retarded to mention that here though.

>>74379763
Nevermind sounds way better than In Utero; Butch Vig is such a good producer.
>>
>>74379763
Fuck off
>>
>>74379789
>Butch Vig
isn't that the guy who created the fairy godparents and that one other show?
>>
File: 1500695696813.jpg (20KB, 367x346px) Image search: [Google]
1500695696813.jpg
20KB, 367x346px
>>74379812
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLW0BVTCsw
Woah
>>
>>74379789
Best produced record by them was Incesticide it had variation and wasn't all completely soft. Cobain even though it was too soft he like In Utero better I don't blame him. Butch is good though.
>>
>>74379789
Terry is god you don't understand because you haven't used the power of TEmple OS to track down all the CIA NIGGERS
>>
>>74379871
you're a 12 year old edgelord /b/tard autist, figures that you're an Albini fanboy too
>>
>>74379909
>hurr someone doesn't like what I like so I will simply fling poo poo in all directions and repeat it until it's simply true
Beautiful
t.intellectual
>>
File: shellac dude incredible.jpg (173KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
shellac dude incredible.jpg
173KB, 600x600px
>>74378645
Dude Incredible was one of the best albums of 2014 though
>>
>>74380172
CAW CAW
>>
if he is so great, why is there so much background noise on Joanna Newsoms albums?
>>
>>74378957
Even Albini can't tell the difference according to Jim O'Rourke (who used Pro Tools for The Visitor):

AVC: How did you come to reconcile the sound that Pro Tools churns out?

JO: I spent a year mixing. I just found my way. In the end I don’t know whether it sounds good. I played it for someone, a particular artist who is fairly well known for not touching digital with a 10-foot stick. They heard the record and I asked them, “Is it digital or analog?” They said, “I don’t think it’s digital.” That made me happy.
>>
>>74379411
Seems to me albini has no idea how stems work
And I thought he knew what he was doing
>>
>>74381878
How exactly does that correlate to my post? He is at the whims of other people because of their software which may change licensing agreements or disappear altogether. He asserts that numerous sessions are unretrievable because of this and predicts it will happen again. Unless he uses analog.
>>
>>74381948
And it seems that you don't understand how stems work either
>>
>>74381983
I believe he specifically addressed it in one of the numerous videos I just watched about this issue but that's not what I asked. Is it?
>>
>>74382012
You don't need specific software to open stems
Stems are PCM files, any software can open them, that's the whole point

You export stems in a portable file format to avoid this exact problem (or to share projects with another studio with a different setup)
This is standard practice
>>
>>74382040
"Stem-compatible software and/or hardware is required"

Stems-music.com

And Albini never asserts that there are not current accommodations. He just predicts the possibility that they will not always be guaranteed. And thats too much of a chance for him.

However there is a very distinct possibility that he will run out of tape and no l never be able to acquire it. As I recall there is now only one so ble source he can get it from. Albino will transition once he's literally forced.
>>
>>74382109
He's way more likely to run out of tape than he is to lose the ability to play PCM audio, if that helps him feel better
>>
>>74380172
YOU CAME IN ME
(HE CAME IN YOU?)
>>
>>74382142
I have a feeling he agrees. However he seems more concerned about other future generations rather than himself. You may be right about the next 10 years but what about the next 50 or 200? Albini strongly asserts that people will be able to pick his tapes off the shelf in literally 200 years and play them with a machine that can be built from scratch. And that this is a large reason why he does it.
>>
>>74382190
I doubt that, even tape from 20 years ago needs to be baked before you can play it
Tape perishes over time (sure you can say the same for any magnetic format but at least with digital you can make bit for bit copies)
Tape is a terrible way to store music over the long term
>>
>>74382223
That's not what I read about acetate. And he was very clear and specific when he said 200 years so I'm pretty sure he was dead serious and consequently knows what he's talking about. His studio does offer baking services though.
>>
>>74382261
Ah, yeah acetate's a different beast entirely
You can store it for a lot longer, although it wears down after a few plays
>>
>>74376801
"I don't like bands that use their shitty computers".

I can understand the hate for overproduced electronic crap that is hard for entry level musicians to attempt to take on... but computers are also great for making amateur bands release tracks.
>>
>>74377356
If you produce a lot, analog does make a difference.
Even if it's inaudible, some of the extra bits it gives can effect the vibrations your ear gets.

It's minor though.
>>
>>74376801
He said that 30 years ago. In some gay poker interview he said that CD's are alright.
>>
>>74377565
underrated.
>>
>>74377898
Digital layers by themselves are almost exactly like analog layers.
But when they add onto each other, the differences become noticeable.
>>
File: 20170806_084423.jpg (3MB, 1932x2576px) Image search: [Google]
20170806_084423.jpg
3MB, 1932x2576px
1/2
>>
>>74376801
After the fall of society, there will be no electricity, meaning that the only way to listen to music is with one of those old wind-up record players.
>>
>>74376801
Steve Albini is the punk equivalent of Steven Wilson
>>
File: 20170806_084549.jpg (3MB, 1932x2576px) Image search: [Google]
20170806_084549.jpg
3MB, 1932x2576px
>>
He was right. I bought a stupid number of CDs when I was a teenager in the 00s (I'm 28 now). Now most of those CDs are nearly worthless, to the point that they almost might as well be cassettes. Vinyl will never go away because it will always be collectible, and have decent quality sound. I still listen to digital files mostly, but for physical music vinyl can't be beat.
>>
>>74383300
solar power man!
>>
>>74377990
Or you get elected the president of the united states of America
>>
On which album did Albini capture the best drum sound?
>>
>>74380172
Best Shellac album by far.
>>
>>74377356
Back in the early 00s you could pick up Otari/Teac/Tascam 8 and 16 track recorders for like $100 and portastudios out of garbage cans for free.

ADAT recorders that are worth $50 tops today were thousands upon thousands of dollars and are useless today.
>>
File: R-372620-1183818814.jpg (51KB, 600x595px) Image search: [Google]
R-372620-1183818814.jpg
51KB, 600x595px
>>74383780
wink wink nudge nudge
>>
File: Chris_hansen.png (85KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
Chris_hansen.png
85KB, 427x640px
Don't know about all that noise but Albini is an admitted pedophile.
>Jaded as I am, I can't help but flip seeing a girl and guy of twelve or thirteen, tops, ramming Martel bottles up each other's asses. These are not the Dutch equivalent of abused trailer-park kids, either. They look to be in excellent health and seem to be honestly enjoying this. Makes all the conventional arguments against this kind of thing seem really silly. They're kids. Kids like to play with their own and other people's privates. They're just being photographed at it. Now, people who get a voyeuristic charge out of watching them, like me, I guess, well, we've got some grip-on-reality problems.
>There's maybe 1% of all pornography that has any effect on me, and it's definitely not a turn-on very often. But when it is, and it's as weird as this, it's pretty hard to take.
http://www.petdance.com/actionpark/bigblack/tourdiary/
>>
File: albinis time.jpg (109KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
albinis time.jpg
109KB, 1080x1080px
>>74384134
Whoopises, guess that quote needs an updated link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20170327181331/http://www.petdance.com/actionpark/bigblack/tourdiary/
>>
Look, I hate to tell you kids this but Steve talks up tape because that's what he invested in when he built his studio. He can't walk out and tell everyone the truth. The day he utters the words "Pro Tools does just as a fine a job as my obsolete tape recorders" then he's out of a livelihood. Then lil' Stevie is broke and homeless ;__;

This is about self-preservation, he's a piece of shit trying to protect what he's got by trying to convince retards what he's got isn't just a valueless novelty from days long since gone.
>no you don't want to record at your home at your convenience anon
>no no no that's bad
>sounds like shit because I said so
>no you want to pay me to record your music to analog tape
>yeah we want to make sure the masters are still around in 200 years from now an' sheeeeeeeit
>you wouldn't want that to happen would you?
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.