[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Jazz and classical pop? Isn't all music pop? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 152065.jpg (85KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
152065.jpg
85KB, 600x600px
Is Jazz and classical pop? Isn't all music pop? What isn't pop music?
>>
Pop is short for popular.

No idea how this is even an argument. Makes me scratch my head
>>
>>74369867
Classical and Jazz is literally Popular music then you dipshit.
>>
>>74369851
don't worry pop is just a meme term that doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>74369851
hnw
>>
>>74369885
really? Name 3 jazz bands that get frequent radio play. Or mtv
>>
What's with all the jazz posts today is /mu/ finally getting good taste?
>>
>>74369955
>Implying black saint
>>
is good<
>>
Buzzword for pseudo-patricians. Those people that call Boris "pop music" because it's a popular band in noise music, therefore it's bad or not worthy of praise (???) It seems nu-males share this "obscure = good" line of thought.
>>
All music that isn't classical is either pop or folk
>>
>>74369994
Well yeah but falling for the scaruffi meme is better than not listening to good music at all
>>
>>74363555
>>
>>74370135
>boris
>noise music

what did they mean by this?
>>
> all these nothing posts from people who don't know shit about the question

In academic/traditional terminology, there's art music and pop music. The division is archaic, but basically the lineage that started in religious institutions and then developed into what we commonly call "classical" music, whether it be early, classical, romantic, modern, avant garde, futurist, impressionist, or whatever, and orchestral, choral, operatic, etc. is "art music." The music that developed among the people, outside of religious and academic institutions, is academically considered "pop music." This means folk, blues, country, hip hop, rock, EDM, whatever. Traditionally jazz is considered pop, but since the bebop era, and especially with "post-bop" innovations like third stream, free jazz, and modal jazz, jazz has adopted traditionally "classical" or art music structures, theory, etc. This is why the division isn't particularly useful anymore. The same can be said of "experimental" bands in "pop" genres like rock and electronic music. But keep in mind that before the 1950s jazz literally was pop music, so these complications didn't occur into the modern era.
>>
>>74369950
Amount of radio play is an awful way to define pop because it says next to nothing about the music and is inherently time insensitive. It's almost nonsensical to call something on the radio pop and then define some no name bandcamp project differently even if it sounds extremely similar. Maybe your definition of pop would have meant something thirty years ago but it's useless today.
>>74370135
I hope you realize the irony of calling pop a buzzword and then using "patrician" and "nu-male."
>>74370156
The problem with this is that things like Pulse Demon or Metal Machine Music and a bunch of other experimental music can't be meaningfully reduced to any of the three (of course, that leads to more of an argument about how to even define music). Really, your definition is more outdated than the other guy's radio play definition.
>>74370372
This guy knows what's up.
>>
hot rats by frank zappa was a top 60 hit, how is that traditional pop >>74369867
>>
>>74370219
>what is Vein (Hardcore)
>what is asia
>what is urban dance
>what is warpath
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.