[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: post artists you're trying to get into and have others

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: petergabriel.jpg (62KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
petergabriel.jpg
62KB, 500x492px
tryna get into peter gabriel /mu/, could someone rec a good place to start? I dig the more afro-pop inspired stuff I've heard

also general rec thread
>>
Start with So
>I like the experimental/afrobeat parts
Listen to Security, Scratch
>I like the darker parts
Listen to Melt and Up
>I like the straight pop parts
Listen to Us
>I want to hear prog Gabriel
Listen to Genesis and Car
>>
>>74357611
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
The Who
>>
>>74357657
thanks mate

>>74357699
don't know about nick cave, but for the who I'd start with who's next. it jams hard even though the middle is a bit undercooked. tommy is probably my favorite overall if you like concepts
>>
John Fahey
Jason Molina stuff
>>
for every band/artist listed in this thread

just start from the fucking beginning
>>
>>74357860
I could see this method being effective for a listener that wants to recreate that feeling of discovering an artist at their beginning and seeing them grow and progress, but sometimes you just need that one album that presents the artist in such a way that you appreciate the rest of their shit more
>>
>>74358078
cont'd: the earlier you hear that album, the more attentive/interested you'll probably be to hear the rest. could save time
>>
>>74357853
Fahey: Work your way through his discography chronologically, he has so many sounds, gotta start at the beginning

Molina: Magnolia Electric Co.
>>
Luigi Nono
>>
>>74357699
>The Who
I'd start at the early stuff (mostly singles, so get a compilation like Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy) and go chronological. With respect to >>74357829 if you start at Who's Next you'll have been spoiled. I'd say it's better to listen to them grow in genius. Also, make sure to listen to Live at Leeds, IMHO the best live album anyone ever made.)
>>
>>74357860
>>74358078
It's especially helpful when the band changes sound over time. Like say you want to hear space pop lounge exotica Stereolab over noise pop Neu! Stereolab. That's fine. You can easily recontextualize their later work once you listen to their whole discog.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.