[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is Daydream Nation SY's biggest album? Bad Moon Rising,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1501692820298.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1501692820298.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
why is Daydream Nation SY's biggest album? Bad Moon Rising, EVOL, Ciccone Youth and all SYR are way more interesting
>>
>biggest album
define
>>
>>74333600
Teenage Riot
>>
>>74333600
Wrong.
>>
>Adam Ellis
die normie scum
>>
>>74333600
Because it has the highest RYM rating
>>
>>74333746
>not noticing B^U
Come on man.
>>
>>74333600

It was their first "pop" album

(That could be said about Sister, but Daydream Nation is better)
>>
>>74333746
hello newfriend
>>
>>74333796
no it isn't
>>
>>74334787
yes it is
>>
Daydream Nation was a clear distillation of their past work. Even the band has said as much, on top of saying that they can divide the band into the way they wrote before/during DDN, and how they more or less completely restarted after it (you can find this is Matthew Stearns' book about the album).

Personally, I think DDN is much more singular than anything else they put out (though Bad Moon Rising is ridiculously underrated in their discog). Up to EVOL you can still hear traces of their no wave influences as fairly dominant, and Sister is more indebted to traditional punk and post-punk. DDN is a sound that manages to wear it's influences proudly but is wholly theirs. For a few examples, Teen Age Riot has an emphasis on pure rhythm that couldn't have been made if Ranaldo hadn't played for Glenn Branca in his past, 'Cross the Breeze is basically hardcore art punk, The Sprawl comes across as a sister piece to Expressway, and they're constantly dropping references to diverse acts like The Stooges, Joni Mitchell, and Neil Young. I guess to distill what I'm saying, DDN is almost an encyclopedia for the band to that point, and even they realized that whereas DDN was a logical progression of what they were doing, they had to go in a different direction if they wanted to keep going at all after it.

Sonic Youth is my favorite band, and on every other record in their main discog I can point to something that I don't like, whereas with DDN I can only point to things I like less.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.