[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't more post-rock this original and inventive? This

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Disco_Inferno_5_EPs.jpg (33KB, 330x329px) Image search: [Google]
Disco_Inferno_5_EPs.jpg
33KB, 330x329px
Why isn't more post-rock this original and inventive? This has its flaws, but there's so much more going on here than the crescendo core that makes up most post-rock. There are of course bands that do crescendos well, but I would love to hear more post-rock that shakes things up more structurally and sonically.
>>
I used to predict we'd get a 4th wave that would be very experimental and strange, but I'm starting to doubt that. The post-rock YT channels upload basically every new album that comes out and maybe 10% are listenable
>>
>>74331201
First wave post-rock was great tbqh. Second wave alright, and everything after shitty crescendo-core with band names like "The Truth of All Mankind and Unity in the World and Universe Dissolves as I Touch Myself"
>>
>>74331201
Post-rock in the 90's were great. We had unique bands like Moonshake, Disco Inferno, Stereolab, Bark Psychosis, Slint, Tortoise etc.
Then the 2000's came and Godspeed you! Black Emperor got popular. They favored predictable crescrendos and melodramatic hooks instead of interesting song structures and creative sounds. Now for some reason every post-rock band wants to copy them (especially Exposions in the Sky, god I hate that boring ass band) thus the term "post-rock" became dull and tame.
>>
>>74331201
I agree, similarly with Technicolour and Noise Pop. Wish they were able to build upon that new sound with more EP's. Also check out Ian Crause's solo stuff if you've never heard it.
>>
File: 250px-Uboa.jpg (6KB, 250x352px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Uboa.jpg
6KB, 250x352px
>>74331713
>Ian Crause's solo stuff
You check out his indeh pop stuff? It's, uhh, interesting...
>>
>>74331201
this album sucks

it's super original but it sucks
>>
>>74331432
2000s post rock is only shit because of explosions in the sky and mogwai who turned post rock into happy apple commercial meme shit
listen to slow riot an yanqui uxo by gybe and you will see that the repeating riffs that get more intense lead into completely different riffs
>>
Red Sparrowes is pretty great, tho. And they're a third wave band.
>>
What are some good lesser known first wave bands? I already know all the Too Pure stuff.
My favorite of the bunch is Long Fin Killie if that helps
>>
Don't mind me. Just saving post-rock.

>>74333053
Isotope 217
>>
>>74333150
Grails is good, too. Deep Politics is probably my favorite post-rock record of the decade so far. Though, In My Blood by SFFS is a serious contender atm.
>>
>>74333325
I've never heard of SFFS until now. The screamo tag has me skeptical but I'll still try em out.
>>
>>74334041
Its such a minor piece of the whole. Its there, but it's very tolerable. But I was once in this exact position.
>>
Post-rock sort of died a creative death after Lift Your Skinny Fists. The decade or so before that was full of good shit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.