[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We all enjoy music for different reasons, some more superficial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1049.jpg (46KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1049.jpg
46KB, 403x403px
We all enjoy music for different reasons, some more superficial than others. If you pay close attention you notice there are certain things you pickup when listening to music you enjoy and it is what makes listening to such music so great for you. Cor example, some songs have bad melody but great rhythmic complexity or maybe syncopation that completely take your mind off of that part of the music. Some have great atmosphere but are weak in other terms. This isn't always weakness, it could be intended by the artist. My favorite part of music to focus on is harmony, comparing intervals and voices in my head takes more mental effort and as a result feels amazing to put together and really makes the beauty in music stand out. Why is it that in the modern era of music, we have almost abandoned harmony? Pet Sounds was imo the last album that glorified harmony and required that kind of ear, and was almost perfectly done for the modern world of music. Why is it that we carried melodic interest, rhythm, atmosphere, and timbre into pop music but almost never emphasize harmony?
>>
you said it yourself. you really need to actually listen to what you put into your ears to enjoy harmony. modern pop music is meant to deliver instant gratification and be as catchy as possible without any mental effort. it's "background" music
>>
Are you sure contemporary music is completely devoid of harmony? It cant be the hardest thing to nail is it? What of the non popular contemporary genres/styles of music?
>>
>>74320563
Perhaps because it is more expensive than the others you name. - I mean in concrete terms of rehearsal time and number of people in the studio. Popular culture tends to follow the path of profit, so the first thing to go was complex harmony.

Though the more likely explanation is that it died with Pet Sounds exactly because Pet Sounds -- And early Beatles. It's hard to overestimate the cultural dominance of these groups. Perhaps bands avoided harmony precisely because they wanted to avoid that shadow of those groups on them,

Anyway, isn't harmony back? Since pop music started to go really electronic, it's been back, I think. It sucks. But it's there.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.