[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come groups will usually make an album like 'this'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: Yes-close.jpg (102KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Yes-close.jpg
102KB, 300x300px
How come groups will usually make an album like 'this' and then not be able to ever again? Why is the window so short of only a couple years, to make great art?
>>
>>74320057
but this is not even the best Yes album
both Tales and Relayer are better
>>
>>74320057
That's not art.

But to answer your question; making something requires having an idea and knowing how to realise it so that it can be conveyed to an audience. This isn't very easy to do and most people don't ever have any worthwhile ideas so having even one is incredible. The whole phenomenon of bands going to shit after 3 albums is largely because they run out of things to say and end up just releasing things because that's their job. It's the same in every creative industry.
>>
>>74320092
>That's not art.
?????
>>
>>74320057
It's not a window. It's just that most groups only have a limited number of special shit. Some of them nail it straight away then run round in circles. Some of them take some warmup time. But this is the same as most artforms. Most writers have one special book. Reinvention is the exception
>>
>>74320109
Music industry in the situation is entertainment. Entertainment media compromises it's intended message to entertain the audience, sell tickets, etc. Art is completely about the idea behind the work. You can argue artistic merit, but not 'art' when it comes to bourgeous commodities and light entertainment. Modernism was literally a laugh at the idea that stuff like this is 'art' and entertainment media is influenced by modernism so it's really ironic to miss the point.

Art can be accomplished through any medium, but just because a work of art has been made from a medium doesn't make the medium itself 'art' - otherwise art would just mean 'thing' and my walk to work later would be an art-piece.
I have a hard time understanding why people insist on using the word art to present a thing they like as some sort of masterpiece, despite not knowing anything about art at all. I'm still waiting for the day when someone on an imageboard who disagrees with me can name a single artist from the past 20 years.
>>
File: 1498947313006.jpg (336KB, 714x885px) Image search: [Google]
1498947313006.jpg
336KB, 714x885px
>>74320184
You'll never make anything great.
>>
File: christgau_212[1].jpg (71KB, 212x244px) Image search: [Google]
christgau_212[1].jpg
71KB, 212x244px
>>74320057
What a waste. They come up with a refrain that sums up everything they do--"I get up I get down"--and apply it only to their ostensible theme, which is the "seasons of man" or something like that. They segue effortlessly from Bach to harpsichord to bluesy rock and roll and don't mean to be funny. Conclusion: At the level of attention they deserve they're a one-idea group. Especially with Jon and Rick up front. C+
>>
Most bands seem to accumulate a strong repertoire of tunes in their early stages where their creativity is the strongest before even releasing an official album. These tunes will then be dispersed among their initial releases, However, once a band becomes established, it seems that the live tours, added fame, fan expectations and added pressure from record labels will all have a detrimental effect on output, band cohesiveness and creativity. Hence the demise of a band's 'classic era'.

The changing music scenes also take a huge toll as bands either struggle between reinventing their music for new musical trends and/or not alienating their existing fans. In the case of many prog bands, you will note that their material usually gets more commercial around the mid 70s (mostly label pressures); and most bands arent able to pull it off successfully.
>>
>>74320226
Already have. Go read some shit like Ways of Seeing and stop being a retard who argues by trying to insult people that know more than you.
>>
>>74320315

But seriously Every single Yes album in the 70s was amazing. I wouldn't exactly call that 'not be able to ever again'.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 368x368px
only the first track is good
>>
File: nick.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
nick.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>74320330
>>
>>74320184
Let me guess, this music isn't "art" but yours is?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.