[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've heard many mixed opinions on this album, and after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 91r3f7RUobL._SL1500_.jpg (551KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91r3f7RUobL._SL1500_.jpg
551KB, 1500x1500px
I've heard many mixed opinions on this album, and after a few listens i have to ask

Is this a meme or does /mu/ actually enjoy Animal Collective?
>>
>>74315362
It's a pretty boring and overrated pop album. I don't really understand the worship.
>>
I know I do but I can't speak for all of /mu/
>>
>>74315362
They're the best band of the last 17 years
>>
They're one of the best bands of the last 17 years, BUT MPP is severely overrated in their catalogue. They've been much more creative and melodic in the past.
>>
>>74315362
does anyone else have an album cover that moves? no? shut the fuck then bitch
>>
Lyrics are very quiet, garbled at times even. Instrumentals and production became hard to listen to after about halfway through, leaving nothing for me to get behind.
Some songs are just blatantly obnoxious in my opinion, but others are great.

Is there an Animal Colective album that is a bit less abrasive?
>>
>>74315382
post an exciting pop album or you're bullshit.
>>
Only for those pure at heart.
>>
>>74315530
>less abrasive
Sung Tongs
Campfire Songs
Painting With
Feels

>more poppy
Feels
Centipede Hz
Painting With
>>
I thought this album was supposed to be psychedelic rock?

The last pop album i enjoyed was art-angels, but i usually stick to emo bullshit and some hip-hop.

General rule of thumb for me is if it's sad and well done i'll enjoy it
>>
i love this album
>>
>>74315530
Try these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztvr09J7KK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvcyOa00f7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgiDrYTdNmE
>>
>>74315572
Feels, Strawberry Jam, Centipede Hz, and STGSTV are their more rock-influenced albums
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwc6UyhZLbc
>>
They were really great and I really liked them for a long time but for some reason they're now on everyone's radar as a meme band so you have to either hate them or love them depending on whoever you're discussing it with so you can be contrarian.

They're right on the borderline of being cool or being too mainstream so everyone's (at least everyone here's) new opinion on them shifts from awful to great at the tip of a fedora.
>>
Listening to Feels, 2nd song in

>Already better than post-pavilion as a whole
>>
>>74315698
Strawberry Jam has some fantastic songs (For Reverend Green, Fireworks, Cuckoo Cuckoo, and Safer, namely), but isn't as consistently good as Feels imo.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 220x220px
>>74315541
>>
>>74315362
>>74315382
>>74315452
>>74315530
For a while I tried to tell myself that MPP is an overrated album and Sung Tongs is more influential and blah blah blah blah

Here's an anecdote, when I was in a relationship I felt really happy and you know what I wanted to listen to? AnCo. Not angsty teenage tryhard music like Spirit, Danse, or HCTI. I wanted to listen to My Girls, Brother Sport, Bluish.

You know what's gotten me through the breakup? AnCo. Not the angsty teenage shit, no. Instead the peppy music aforementioned, and fucking In the Flowers. That song is so masterful and the burst part of that Bridge when played at max volume, it's like a fucking cleansing. Listening to In the Flowers at max volume was like when I saw Swans live, it makes you focused all into the sound. You lose all worries.

all this to say MPP is clearly their best
>>
>>74315664
>too mainstream
I dare you to play Painting With to any normie

If anything, they got too close with MPP and intentionally retreated with CHz
>>
>>74315362
that's an album i really like
>>
>>74315876
This.

MPP so perfectly captures the most beautiful moments and times of being in love. I can't even begin to describe the memories that "Bluish" brings to me

At the same time, an album like Feels is one of the most perfect albums to get over someone, whether it be a breakup or whatever. It's so much about moving on and trying your best to focus on the good things and not resting on the bad.

Of course, sometimes you want to feel angry, or sad or whatever, we all do, but when I listen to AnCo, it makes me feel positive regardless of what has happened.
>>
>>74315394
99% chance you're a raging hipster with full mustache and neckerchief.
>>
Beautiful album that makes me love life and cry.

>>74315542
Unironically this
>>
>>74315542
This
>>
>>74315876
>>74316006
Alright, you faggots convinced me to finally check this band out. What album should I start with?
>>
>>74315362
listen to AnCo on LSD
>>
>>74315567
mpp is their poppiest album desu
if anything, feels is more folky and atmospheric, centipede hz is just watered down strawberry jam and painting with is waterd down mpp
>>
Animal Collective as a whole is pretty good. The last couple of albums have been pretty poopy but I think they'll release something good again.

The efforts of the members individually have for some reason been better than what they've put out when they're together for the last 8 years.

MPP is a really good album, probably their second best for me, after Strawberry Jam.
>>
I just listened to it in its entirety today, twice. Generally I think that's premature to decide on whether I like an album, but I gotta say, I don't think its a particularly creative album. There are some good tracks obviously, but as a whole, there isn't enough variety too keep me interested. By track 8, it started to get really grating--it's the same electropop drone sound all the way through.
>>
>>74316937
>centipede hz is just watered down strawberry jam

errr no
chz has a very distinct sound and it's incredible
>>
All of their albums are so different, they're great to revisit after a while. I even enjoy CHz now.

Also, I really miss that one qt girlfriend I had during college. The one who would sing the Purple Bottle to me during car rides. I remember once I woke up next to her and tried to get out of bed and dress for class quietly so I wouldn't wake her. I was almost out of the door when I heard her sing sleepily, "You don't have to go to colllllllegggeee."

Anyway, Anco will always be one of my favorites.
>>
>>74315876
Different albums for different feels, man. The Purple Bottle is probably their happiest, catchiest songs, and I love it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the best with no other contender.

If I'm feeling lovesick, or just want some nice pop tunes, I'll put on MPP or Feels. Nostalgic; Spirit. Comfy; Campfire Songs or Sung Tongs.
I'm a generally chill guy, so I put on Campfire Songs in most situations. It's a 10 for me, just because of the kind of person I am.

That being said, I do feel like STGSTV is their best blend of weird and pop. I think it's their most artistically advanced record yet.
>>
>>74316756
Merriweather Post Pavilion if you prefer electronica
Feels if you prefer rock
Sung Tongs if you prefer folk
>>
This album changed the way I view music and art
>>
>>74315876
>I actually HAD a girlfriend guys
>>
>>74315362
I couldn't really get into MPP, but when I heard Sung Tongs, I really couldn't stop listening to it. Then I started liking MPP more. And then after a while, I like all of their records so much that it's hard to pick a favorite. I think it's between Campfire Songs and Spirit. But I feel like at one point, each of their albums has been my favorite. Each of their albums is pretty unique, just relative to the bands discography, so it makes sense, I guess.
>>
>>74316756
Start with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3oM8W4sf50
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.