[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain why people like this hack? I can't help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Can someone explain why people like this hack? I can't help but feel a sense of mediocrity from all his stuff everytime I listen to it
>>
File: cover.jpg (111KB, 600x591px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
111KB, 600x591px
>>74302775
his best stuff was released in 2001-2003
see pic related
>>
>>74302775
Tim Hecker's received wide acclaim from critics and audiences alike and you can read hundreds of articles and reviews from the last two decades to help you understand why people like him.
I'd be much more interested in hearing why you don't like him, since calling him a "hack" and feeling a "sense of mediocrity" aren't exactly substantial criticisms
>>
>>74302775
he makes accessible ambient/drone music for ppl like this guy who rely on critics to spoonfeed them >>74302873
>>
>>74302873
see >>74302881
his music isn't very bold or experimental, the melodies and loops he does aren't creative. It's just minimal classical melodies like Max Richter or even New Age composers did for the past 10-20-30 years.
the electronic effects usually come off as slapped together textures that don't mesh at all with the minimal melodies, just noise for noise's sake. I encourage you to listen to something like John Cage's HPSCHD: that's a work that integrates electronic noise and live melodic material in a transformative way.
>>
>>74302881
I don't realy on critics to spoonfeed me, I just see no point in explaining what's good about Hecker when there's a million words have already been writtien on him and the op is clearly just out to antagonize fans with a shitty negative and biased thread.
Also if you treat his music like ambient music then you're missing the fucking point
>>
>>74302904
>I don't realy on critics to spoonfeed me,
yet your first response was to rely on them to explain why.

>Also if you treat his music like ambient music then you're missing the fucking point
im sure some "critic" educated you on his point am I right?
>>
File: 1501079875682.jpg (99KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1501079875682.jpg
99KB, 640x427px
>>74302904
>Also if you treat his music like ambient music then you're missing the fucking point

i bet you think ambient is not electronic music?
rym fag
>>
>>74302920
>yet your first response was to rely on them to explain why.
Yeah because I'm a shitty fucking writer and probably won't be able to explain why I think he's great. I don't understand why it has to be a black and white "I fucking hate critics/I only listen to p4k bnm" I really don't know why someone can't read a review with an open mind taking the author's point of view seriously, while also being able to make your own judgement without being influenced by them
>im sure some "critic" educated you on his point am I right?
No, listening to his music I thought that, especially on his last two albums, they're far too niosy and involved to ever be trated like something like a Biosphere or Leyland Kirby album. The melodies are up front and loud and very emotional, and the way his music is produced these days makes it impossible to be listened to as ambient anyway.
>>
>>74302927
Ambient music ususally is electronic but it doens't have to be. Stars of the Lid are really well known and you'd hardly consider them "electronic music"
Never been on rym in my life
>>
>>74303027
>Stars of the Lid are really well known and you'd hardly consider them "electronic music"
the whole point is that they are digitally manipulated versions of acoustic music
>>
>>74303009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmgEAp8hSI

i don't see how you can tell me that isn't ambient/drone

but w/e subjective feels is personal to each individual
>>
what is this thread lol.

this is the best comment though:
>>74302902
>just noise for noise's sake

so kewt
>>
>>74303167
^^ the average TH fan folks, brainless /r/indieheads crossposters
>>
he make great music like >>74303074
says, he just happens to be very entry-level, not sure why that bothers anyone as all of /mu/ is the most entry-level it gets when it comes to pretty much everything
>>
>>74302775
tims pretty great. fuck the haters. just because no one cares about your favorite ambient/drone artist , dont be mad.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.