[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This shit has consistently grown on me since I first heard it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: marquee moon.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
marquee moon.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
This shit has consistently grown on me since I first heard it ten years ago. Is there an argument here for best ever?
>>
>>74294884
probably one of the best rock albums ever, yeah. the reason it didn't go mainstream was because of verlaine's god-awful singing and also the band becoming egotistical cunts after the release of this
>>
Pink Flag and Chairs Missing are both better
>>
My dad told me that if I want to be a good rock guitarist I need to learn every guitar part from this album and practice the shit out of it. Any truth to this?
>>
>>74294951
yes
>>
>>74294975
What makes the guitar work on this album different from any other rock guitar music?
>>
>>74294951

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREQLeFUcUc

if you can ever write a solo as good as this one, you are good at guitar
>>
>>74294994
theres no 'gimmicky' or flashy stuff about the playing for one. no distortion, wah, whacky modulation effects, reverb or delay. its just really great melody over static chord vamps. in particular, the use of precise phrasing is second to none in rock guitar solos. the arc (beginning, middle, end) within the solos are so expertly figured out; the introduction, the climax and release. theres no guitar-wanking going on running up and down minor pentatonics. the use of note sequences on the longer scalar runs are unconventional and actively avoid cliche.
>>
>>74295099
Do you think It's approachable for someone who is new to playing lead guitar or is it too complicated?

t. rhythm player who always put off playing lead
>>
>>74295166
depends how "new" you are . if you've learnt your jimi hendrix, guns n roses or led zeppelin type solos its in the ballpark of that stuff in terms of technical difficulty. maybe some things would be harder though, like that fast AF solo in "see no evil"
>>
DURURURURU
dururururu
>>
>>74294884
art punky
>>
Singer's voice bothers me sometimes.
>>
>>74294884
bought this on Australia, delicious white vinyl
>>
>>74294923
>>74295952
I actually really like the Verlaine's voice
>>
>>74294884
Is it dadrock?
>>
Another album that's alright at best but the internet has overrated to oblivion. Nothing about this album is standout.
>>
>>74296045
It sounds like he's really trying to compensate for not having any power in his voice.
>>
good album, even a great album, but only ever labeled "best ever" by pretentious fucks. there was SO MUCH like this being pumped out at the same time by bands who are arguably better (Wire, Minutemen), that to hold this album above any other is foolish. much better to just acknowledge the virtue of this artsy-post-punk style as a whole movement and enjoy the albums across it without putting this on a pedestal. stop.
>>
>>74297147

i would love to hear more bands similar to television, especially from the same era.

any other suggestions?
>>
>>74297147
>Wire and Minutemen sound like Television
Don't breed
>>
>>74297225
Richard Hell and the Voidoids (obvious pic, Richard Hell was a guitarist in Televeision.)

Thin White Rope, Modern Lovers (esp first album). Highly recommend The Feelies, different band but similar vibes with the guitar work. I'd even check out Echo and the Bunnymen
>>
>>74297261
admittedly those were off-the-cuff references and Marquee Moon is less comparable than some of Television's other albums (like Adventure) but for big /mu/ bands in the 70s posty theme I'd stand by the comparison
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.