[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>90% of guitar students quit in the first year. How long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7

File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>90% of guitar students quit in the first year.

How long did it take you to get good at barre chords?
>>
>>74282570
2 months on electric, something like a year on a classical
>>
>>74282570
Months probably. A couple at most. When you're starting on classical guitar, it's mandatory to overcome the barre problem quickly.
>>
>>74282591
>>74282598
How old were you?
>>
>>74282612
12-13

>tfw playing guitar for more than 10 years
>still can't play fast runs with lots of pull-offs and hammer-ons
>>
A long time possibly longer than a year.
>>
Guitar was my 4th instrument, picked it up last year. I still can't barre on acoustic very well at all. When I got an electric from my GF on Christmas (about 3 months after I started) I could barre on that no problem.
>>
my learning experience was so fucked up and not correct that an F barre chord was the first thing I learned
>>
>>74282661
>>still can't play fast runs with lots of pull-offs and hammer-ons
Name one good song that requires fast runs and puuloffs
>>
>>74282693
All students should start on electric, preferably a 3/4 scale student guitar
>>
>>74282709
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn Part One

section from 9:26 to 11:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mWQoB6L85c
>>
>>74282730
I agree with that now. I was 20 I just assumed I could pick it up since I play bass and piano and mandolin a bit. It wasn't much a problem aside from barre chords. I also didn't want to pay for an amp, I only had like 600$ and wanted a really nice guitar, so I just got a pretty good acoustic/electric.

When I got my strat I was like "Oh yeah I should have started with this."
>>
>>74282570
cant even remember
>>
>>74282747
that wasn't too bad
and not really that fast at all

very achievable for a beginner in the second year or so
>>
>>74282844
still can't play it :^(

i'll never git gud
>>
File: f37.png (347KB, 634x435px) Image search: [Google]
f37.png
347KB, 634x435px
>was a guitarist in a blues rock band for 10 years
>10 years of comfortable power chords and pentatonic scales
>new girlfriend is from Spain
>she wants us to do some classical guitar duets
>buys me a classical guitar for my birthday
>mfw trying to play it
How the fuck do I use this thing lads
>>
>>74282871
you rarely play barre chords in jazz guitar

the more advanced stuff only require 3-4 notes instead of 5-6
>>
I gave up 2 days after getting a guitar lol
>>
>>74282895
it probably needs a proper setup
saddle and nut needs to be sanded a bit
>>
>>74282895
treat it like a different instrument. go listen to spanish guitar songs and try to find all the little details that a spanish guitarist employs which you don't on an electric guitar
>>
>>74282906
millennial in one sentence
>>
>literally every good guitarist says you should start learning with an acoustic guitar
>/mu/ doesn't

hummmm
>>
>>74283135
>>literally every good guitarist says you should start learning with an acoustic guitar
Do you have anything to back that claim up?
>>
>>74282570
Too fucking long OP, too fucking long...
>>
It took it 6 months I think on classical guitar, by the time I got an electric one, there was no problem.

The trick is to focus on the high string first (which are the hardest to make sound clean) and then graduslly slide the rest of your finger into place.
>>
Took me about 5 weeks to master barre chords. On a classical guitar with an insanely high action (reduced it by 3 mm later on). I've had 5 months of practice so far, I'm honestly really damn good.
>>
>>74283337
well it gives you a better tecnhique in regards to plucking and arpeggios, polyphony and stuff.

Soloing on a pentatonic scale is litterally the easiest thing you can do on a guitar,
>>
is guitar literally the bro instrument?
>>
>tfw want to learn fretless bass because the minimalism appeals to my autism
is it really as difficult as people make it out to be? Never played regular bass or guitar before.
>>
I actually got it within my first month. I wasn't aware that these were the hard chords. I think being left hand helped me, since I'm playing righty.
>>
>>74282895
Practice?
>>
>>74282895
learn to play a melodic minor scale and you're all set :^)
>>
>>74283576
Not anymore. Was like 15-20 years ago

Sampler is the new brostrument. Guitar based music is niche now
>>
>>74282570
I didn't go to school, and learned everything by passion, just because I liked playing guitar
After I got better, I learned music theory and other shit to broaden my knowledge, that's it honestly
>>
>tfw you are able to do whatever you want on your guitar
>tfw you don't know what to do
>>
>>74283586
Try learning violin. Soon you'd realize tt takes years of practice to finally play with a band and not playing out of tune. The same rule applies to fretless guitars.
Even picking up a regular bass as your first instrument is pain (because it kills your fingers) so I suggest you to start with a classical (nylon string) guitar first
Keep in mind every guitarist who plays regularly have callus on their fingers, there is a reason for that
>>
>>74283586
I'd recommend learning to play regular bass before you try fretless, otherwise you have to learn how to play in tune at the same time as just getting sounds out of the thing
>>
File: 1426858342702.jpg (31KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
1426858342702.jpg
31KB, 456x320px
>>74283631
This, writers block when I sit with blank sheet in front of me.
Extra Bonus, play killer riff while goofing off, it's so simple you think, I got this, next day can't remember it exactly as you played it.
>>
File: ye.gif (403KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
ye.gif
403KB, 360x240px
>>74283631
That's where your artist and songwriter self steps in. Listen to lots of music and find your inspiration, without copying too much. It's OK to start with shitty acoustic cover songs, everyone started at the bottom, some are doomed to stay there for years, but songwriting is just as much of a skill as mastering guitar, so get off your ass and write music.
>>
>>74282570
I could play them in two days, but I quit anyway. I had no patience to practice putting chords together and the ones I could sounded cliched because they were.
>>
i remember being a few weeks into learning as a kid and crying to my teacher cause i couldn't play a D chord
>>
>>74282931
yeah how about no, you might as well go on and sand down the frets for "less attack"
>>
>>74282612
I started at 10.
>>
>>74282570
A while, I don't remember, it was many years ago.

I don't play them anymore, considering that I don't really play in standard tuning much these days.

I found a way to play what are usually considered barres with just 4 strings, so there's no need to play all 6 strings at once, and since I play mostly fingerstyle on acoustic it's all I really need.

What's more embarrassing for me is that I've been playing guitar for something like 10 years now and I still don't formally know scales and suck at soloing/improvising on electric.
>>
>>74283753
It's easy to cheat it with using only 2 fingers
>>
>>74282570
I guess a year with acoustic to learn the grasp of it, some few months on an electric to perfect them.
>>
>>74283631
>Tfw got a lot of ideas for songs, projects etc shit I'd love to do with a guitar
>Playing for three years now, got two electrics and one steel stringed acoustic
>Good amp with great clean tone and few good pedals for overdrive/distortion

>I dont know shit how to make anything
>Not even basic vocal melodies

Fuck me, dude you got it easy
>>
>>74284298
>I dont know shit how to make anything
>Not even basic vocal melodies
>>74284174
Here, barre chords for me took a long time, but I think it was being able to sing while playing that took longer, and being able to scream / shout lyrics while playing took a real long time, really intense singing is still something that I can't do while playing and I just resort to overdubs on records in order to do them in the best possible way.
>>
>>74284353
Yeah, I kinda skipped on the theory a bit. Bit me in the balls after I got into jazz and classical
>>
I'm coming up on 7 months. Wish me luck mutants.
Self taught so I don't know what Barre chords are
>>
>>74282570
Can't remember exactly, but if you practice everyday, even if its just 10 mins, you should have them in a few weeks
>>
>tfw barre chords are literally the only thing I can play on guitar

I can't even play a scale...
>>
>>74284397
learn all positions of the major scale, once you have that down you'll also know the minor scale, it's just a question of shifting one position
>>
>>74284382
>Yeah, I kinda skipped on the theory a bit. Bit me in the balls after I got into jazz and classical
I still don't formally know it and write plenty of songs by ear and meter of lyrics.

I'm actually surprised that a lot of people write lyrics after the music, and though I've done that, traditionally lyrics came first and I usually took like 5-10 minutes to find a melody I liked to go with them.

Writing a song isn't that hard, you just have to write a lot of songs, and throw out the ones that have less memorable melody or lyrics to them.
>>
>>74284425
you mean shifting three positions surely?
flat 3rd, flat 6th and flat 7th

also I play piano now, guitar is for fags so I'm not gonna do anything :')
>>
>>74282904
LOL
>>
>>74284452
yea in terms of intervals, but if you think of all the scale patterns, you play the last major one starting on the root and you get a minor scale
>>
>>74282570
A couple of months for all of the major and 7th shapes. But as for the E minor shapes, well I've been practicing those for about 5 months now trying to get the G string sound good, and I still can't do it. Pretty fucking frustrating.
>>
I have no dexterity. Fuck musical instruments altogether. Fuck typing as well.
>>
>>74282570
2 months in, and I can do my E and A shape barre chords.
>>
>>74284760
you build up strength in your grip as well so you should be able to play more complex ones in no time
>>
>>74282570
>falling for the barre chord meme
lmao @ u
>>
>been playing for 15 years on and off
>no idea what the fuck a scale is
>only know the names of the basic chords
>know absolutely nothing related to theory, even simple shit like what a key is

atleast i can play barres easily. who else /intermediatelevelbuthavenowillpowertoeverimprovebeyondthat/ here
>>
>>74284174
Same, I've been playing for 8 years and I rarely use barre chords anymore desu, strumming 3-4 notes somewhere on the neck plus 1-2 open strings makes more interesting voicings and is more versatile for adding melodic fills imo
for scales/soloing I'd just look up the shapes of the pentatonic scale and learn that all up and down the neck, you've been playing so long already that once you're comfortable with that everything else will kind of make sense and improvising will come easily
>>
>>74282904
you're right but it's only because the bass will play the bass notes and if you have a piano player you should kill yourself because you will be redundant

speaking as someone who tried to play in a jazz combo with a piano player

although i'd comp on the latin tunes so that was fun
>>
>>74282895
i love when blues babbys get a taste of something genuinely difficult
>>
I've been learnign for 9 months now and my barre chords still sound meh. They've gotten better and I improve everyday but I have some weak alien fingers
>>
>>74285240
You haven't "played" guitar at all then, and you definitely aren't intermediate (bit of an arbitrary term anyways)
>>
Been playing guitar on and off for 12 years and can't barre smoothly. Can't solo. Only know the basic major/minor chords. VERY low wrist/finger endurance. Power chords ftw. Can't play a whole rock/metal song, not even something simple like Seek and Destroy. Fuck it.
>>
>>74282570
A day.

I love perfect pitch :^)
>>
>>74282757
I started in a classical guitar ensemble.
Was a great way to learn.
>>
>>74282895
Learn dynamics.
>>
>>74286393
That said I used to do a hendrix and practice with brooms before this.
>>
truly an amateur discussion
>>
i played guitar for a bunch of years, really want to start playing it again
any suggestion on what guitar should i buy?
>>
>>74286953
ford mustang
>>
Barre chords were nowhere near as hard as people always make them out to be.
>>
>>74282570
>barre chords

Common barre chords (basic minor / major / 7 shapes) are not even hard to play
>>
>>74286953
jaguar xf
>>
>>74286953
pontiac firebird
>>
>>74282570
Like 2 weeks on acoustic. It's just a matter of developing hand strength.
>>
>>74286953
dodge viper
>>
>>74282906
send me your guitar then
>>
>>74282931
i hope you die in your sleep
>>
>>74286953
90's mtb with slicks
>>
>>74282598
i have been rock climbing for 5 years so my hands are really strong, i have also played >10,000 hours of pc games in my life so im super dexterous with my hands. i was barring easily at about 1 month in on my beginners nylon acoustic.
>>
It took me about 2 months to master regular E and A shaped barre chords, I still can't play E7 and A Major shapes barre chords

(Been playing for year and a half)
>>
>>74286953
Toyota Corolla 2008
>>
>>74282906
give me your guitar you nigger
>>
File: 1500585952936.gif (47KB, 639x556px) Image search: [Google]
1500585952936.gif
47KB, 639x556px
>>74282570
>been playing for a year and a half now
>still haven't bothered with barre chords
>>
>>74286953
ford explorer
>>
like a couple months on my first acoustic guitar? i don't really know, i played piano for 7 years before ever picking up a guitar and was already a proficient diddler.
>>
>>74283586
i picked up a fretless bass after about 7ish years of guitar and it is a major pain in the ass without training
i'm learning the violin now and by far my biggest issue is intonation
the fretless bass is essentially just a huge violin you play without a bow, so intonation and moving between fingerings becomes even harder
>>
>>74283622
you obviously don't get out much, daterape brofags can absolutely still make normies stare in awe if they start playing Wonderwall on a shittily tuned acoustic guitar
>>
A couple of hours into Rocksmith
>>
>>74286953
ford raptor
>>
>>74286953
honda jazz
>>
a week, though it all depends on your finger strength and thumb placement. i'm a /fit/izen, so grip strength wasn't a big deal for me.
just remember to not bend your wrist too much, relax your elbow, keep your thumb behind the neck, in the center. (may vary, experiment.)
after a while, it comes natural.
>>
>>74287700
also, roll your index finger slightly on the side, so the strings are all held down on the harder, bonier side of your finger.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.