[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you hear music in your head but can't create it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11

File: 1406217926956.png (18KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1406217926956.png
18KB, 633x758px
>tfw you hear music in your head but can't create it because you can't play any instruments
>>
try piano seriously

its worth it
>>
>>74277562
hum in to a microphone and sample it and then just drown it in effects until its no longer recognizable as a hum

ez money
>>
>>74277588
I can't just pull a piano out of my ass. All I have is an acoustic guitar and I've been practicing for months yet I'm still no good.
>>
>>74278470
compose the part, give it to a better guitarist, record it
>>
>>74277588

this

piano is so fucking easy compared to a guitar
>>
>>74277562
>tfw you hear voices in your head
>>
File: Google.jpg (12KB, 244x249px) Image search: [Google]
Google.jpg
12KB, 244x249px
>spend early teenagehood humming kickass EDM tunes when bored
>considered autistic because of that for the rest fo school
>>
>>74277562
Here's a pro strategy from someone who was like you:
1. Record melody you come up with
2. Download guitar tuning app on phone
3. Sing each note individually into the app to figure them out
4. Input midi into DAW, adjusting timing to fit recording or to taste
5. Do this enough and you will be able to do it on your own
>>
>>74278723
I love you for this
>>
>>74278723
i adore you for this because that's adorable
>>
>hear a awesome tune in my head
>try to play it on my guitar
>can't get the right relative notes no matter how hard I try as if there are notes between each fret
Will training help this?
I can't seem to play the music I listen to either for the exact same reasons.
>>
>>74277562
>either falling asleep or high
>hear music exactly like I'm a composer
>hear each instrument individually, and let them fade in and out as needed
>completely forget the music unless I focus on it
>can't get out of bed/open up DAW/get to guitar to start recording without losing focus

I've only remembered a few songs because I actually had an instrument in my hands at the time. I wish memory in general weren't so shit; every time you recall something it's a little different from the last time you remembered it
>>
>>74280422
It happens to me as well.
Some times I manage to get up and record the ideas in a recorder and some times I forget them immediately or just fall asleep without getting up at all.

It mostly happens when I'm sleep deprivated and I'm trying to stay awake so I drift in and out of unconsciousness.

It's because you're in a state where your brain "unlocks" its creativity (to create whatever happens in your dreams) but you're not totally unconscious yet, so you sort of get the best of both worlds.

Read this:
https://www.fastcompany.com/3023078/how-dali-einstein-and-aristotle-perfected-the-power-nap
>>
>>74280422
>Get high
>Make great music
>Drop acid
>Make even better music

This is the life
>>
Write the music down and get other musicians to play it for you
>>
File: 1496005326351.png (99KB, 500x469px) Image search: [Google]
1496005326351.png
99KB, 500x469px
>>74277562
>tfw you can play instruments but don't hear music in your head save for Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da playing on repeat
>>
File: IMG_0639.jpg (84KB, 1024x532px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0639.jpg
84KB, 1024x532px
>>74281396
>tfw you hear music in your head constantly but it scares you so you take medication for it.
>>
>>74278516
You're wrong kiddo
>>
File: Seen.jpg (19KB, 261x247px) Image search: [Google]
Seen.jpg
19KB, 261x247px
>tfw deaf but still hear music in my head
>>
>>74278678
>spend early teenagehood humming kickass EDM tunes when bored
>people praise me as beatboxing god
That was so weird. I'm so creepy and dorky and they made me beatbox.
It wasn't really that enjoyable.
>>
>tfw your on the verge of making good music

feels good brahs
>>
File: art_drMario-300x259.jpg (21KB, 300x259px) Image search: [Google]
art_drMario-300x259.jpg
21KB, 300x259px
>>74281429
>tfw if I don't take my meds for long enough I'm haunted by the sound of a fucking marching band under the floor
>>
>>74277562
Tfw you hear music in your head and can play instruments but can't replicate it because you suck
>>
>>74278470
> months
wow, I'm sure by now you should be able to shred.
>>
>>74282624
guitar is leagues harder than piano, where are you getting this from?
>>
>>74278470
Buy a shitty plastic keyboard. Cheap, portable, good for learning
>>
>>74277562
>>74278470
Turn off the internet and do it from morning til bedtime for a few months like a crazy person

Malcolm Gladwell says it takes 10,000 hours to reach mastery but it's more like 2,000 hyper focused uninterrupted hours where you completely override the procastination and desire to chill out that all humans have

If you actually time yourself you'll realize how much time you're wasting and how few hours you're putting in, got to break through the pain barrier to git gud
>>
>>74284559
This isn't true, I've put in just as many hours on the piano as I have on guitar and I can play any set piece on the guitar yet I'm still shit at the piano
>>
>>74277588
>tfw I have a piano and I get upset because I am not good at it
>>
>tfw making music is my life goal and I'm dirt poor so I can't afford a piano/keyboard and instead play the QWERTY.

Music for this feel?
>>
>>74284810
That's how I got into music
>>
>>74284765
Post the hardest thing you can play
>>
>>74277562
>what is ableton live
>>
>>74282684
how
>>
>tfw hear music 24/7
>tfw know music theory
>tfw can play piano
>tfw my music still sounds shit because i don't know how to mix
how fix
>>
>>74284921
Start with learning how to EQ go from there
>>
>>74284921
I can't do any of that however I can mix really well

let's b friends
>>
>>74285201
what daw do you use?
>>
/mu/ how do you even study piano?
I have mikrokosmos for getting better at reading shit on the fly and hanons but I don't know what to do after those
I also play [spoiler]anime[/spoiler] songs
>>
>>74284765
I suppose you have more an argument seeing as piano is my main instrument and every time I've attempted to learn guitar I quit because having to position your fingers the right way to prevent having a shitty sound just irritated me. still guitar just seems much harder in principle. For example if you're playing a solo/melody on guitar it's very likely you'll have to switch between different strings to play it, as opposed to piano having everything laid out in front of you in order.
>>
>>74284921
don't solo
when you tweak an EQ, compressor or any effect on a track listen to how changing that track changes the rest of the song rather than just the track itself
>>
>>74277562

Get an analog synth with a keyboard imput. That might help you get your melodies out easier once you figure out how to play the 88 keys.
>>
HAHAHAHAHA HOW THE FUCK IS THAT REAL HAHAHA LIKE NIGGA JUST PLAY NOTES UNTIL YOU HEAR THE ONE YOU WANT HAHA
>>
if you can't recreate it i don't really believe you hear it, it's probably an illusion
>>
>>74285329
you can hear legible sounding music without knowing how to recreate it
>>
>>74285302
this is actually pretty accurate
>>
>>74285371
i don't believe you.
>>
>>74285302
top zoz
this
>>
>>74285302
This but unironically. If you are absolutely clueless then just get familiar with which side of the keyboard has the tone you want and play there until you get something that sounds right.
>>
>>74285244
But that's just purely physical practice. On the piano it isn't just laid out for you unless you play everything the white keys and transpose like a silly cunt

On the piano you have to be aware of loads of numbers at once, compound intervals etc and where you are in a key even when it's some weird inversion but on the guitar it just seems simple and compact, probably because it's 6 maximum notes vs 10 on the keyboard

Not to mention people are impressed by simple guitar songs but the equivalent on the piano sounds like a baby mashing the keys to them
>>
>>74285530
>Not to mention people are impressed by simple guitar songs but the equivalent on the piano sounds like a baby mashing the keys to them

*note I don't mean hammering out power chords in the lower register
>>
>>74280598
>>74280422
This is the worst. I always tell myself ill remember it in the morning but I never do :^(
>>
File: 1413861922766.png (170KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1413861922766.png
170KB, 700x700px
>>74277562
>tfw Goodwill won't sell me answering machine tapes
>even though they stock them every time I go there
>no means of acquiring obscure sample material
>>
>there are people that manage to compose music without having an instrument at hand
What kind of fucking wizardry is this?
>>
>>74285555
damn, nice digits
>>
>>74285608
Takes some practice. It's a combination of ear training and theory. I used to be able to write really rudimentary piano licks and play them once I got to school.
>>
so any entry level programs or some shit to get into making music?
>>
>>74285608
There's people who can read sheet music and hear the music in their head. Some people have perfect pitch and can hear the exact note so if you asked them to sing a G#4 they would get it exact from memory.

I guess if you didn't have perfect pitch you could memorize what the lowest pitch your voice goes to and use that as a reference for hearing the sheet music you're reading.
>>
>>74285530
>Not to mention people are impressed by simple guitar songs but the equivalent on the piano sounds like a baby mashing the keys to them

I never considered this, but you're incredibly right. What's the closest a guitar can come to that... would that be a fingerstyle sort of thing? On like a 12 string.
>>
>>74277562

>is tonedeaf
>no natural rhythm
>bad singing voice
>been heavily into music for decades now
>just listens as if it's magic. never want to ruin that.
>everything here sounds like wizard talk to me.

I've got a couple books out so I'm not a complete mong, but music creation is so foreign to me. Not even the technical aspects, I understand with practice you can probably be okayish at anything, but the actual creative processing of the notes is alien shit to me.
>>
>the can hear music in my head and can easily play it
I've probably spent a year and a half playing music and I just gained this ability recently. It takes a while but I can usually get it down.
>>
>>74277562
>tfw you play an instrument but you don't hear music in your head
>>
>>74285945
are you deaf?
>>
>>74285530
It's harder to transpose on piano but it's easier to see inversions and play patterns over multiple octaves.

Guitar is extremely easy to transpose on but those other things aren't quite as easy.
>>
>>74285911
>have zero creativity for music
>can play piano

>can keep hours doing fantasies in my head, complete with visuals and pew pew noises
>can't draw or write for shit

JUST
>>
>>74277562
im kept awake by the amazing music in my head
>>
>>74277562
>TFW you play an instrument
>TFW you hear music in your head
>TFW you play it and it sounds good
>TFW you live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and will never have anyone to jam with except for goddamned hicks
>>
>>74285945
Easily circumvented by idle doodling. Set yourself an alarm for one hour and record yourself improvising. If you've got any degree of musical competence, you'll probably be surprised what you come up with.
>>
>>74277562
me
>>
>>74286027
Where you at cutie?
>>
>>74286279
In the heart of bible-thumper country in Alberta. Am leaf
>>
>>74280627
yeah but dropping acid also comes with an existential crisis
>>
>>74285641
yeah it's called youtube
>>
>>74285608
I remember before I started producing but was planning to eventually start, I'd get some ideas and hum/whistle/beatbox them into a recorder.
I could "compose" all the different parts this way by making the drums, the basses, and the leads separately, and in some parts I'd beatbox the drums along with the lead or bass (whichever one was more important for the part).

Kinda like Reggie Watts. I would sing one line, then "loop" it in my mind and sing another instrument over it.

Granted, I also analyzed every song I heard and decomposed them into its elements, so I was kind of used to thnking this way.

Obviously those compositions were complete shit, but that's irrelevant, since I could now easily transcribe them on paper or program them on midi.
>>
>>74285582
steal them
>>
>>74284744
>Malcolm Gladwell
cringe
>>
>>74289620
I'm gonna go back and just swap the tape cases with some gospel soul shit or whatever else they have stocked. Fucking stupid that they won't sell me 75¢ tapes when half of the ones they have in stock they shouldn't have even accepted.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>74277562
mfw i have dreams of epic music but never remember them when i wake up
>>
>>74284885
Ever said something in your head? Like that.
>>
>>74277562
Get a cheap legato 88 keyboard. I had one and started to learn and eventually got familiar with reading sheet music. I learn classic pieces for practice and when I have some spare time around that I work on developing my own sound. If you can think of the medley you'll be able to translate it into notes pretty early on in your practice.

For example: Some of the classic pieces I've learned consist of some easy songs like the 1st movement to Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, Pavane Pour und Infante Defunte by Ravel, and Nocturne No 2 by Chopin, and I've only been playing for half a year. I have a couple of my own pieces and ideas for classical songs humming around that I work on when ever I have time, and sometimes I find new little gems of music from accidents.

Seriously don't say you can't. I thought I couldn't and one day I said fuck it and bought a shitty $300 keyboard and stand with a sustain/soft pedal and got busy with practicing. Started with scales and kids songs like twinkle little star and shit like that. Sometimes it's the first step that is the hardest.
>>
>>74278627
>tfw you hear voices in your head but can't write it down because you don't know how to read
>>
>>74286008
schizophrenia
>>
>>74291525
Floyd don't you have a roasting session to train for?
>>
>>74289767
The most frustrating feel. I've nearly cried from how good music in my dreams sounded, but it always goes away.
>>
>>74292501
Have you ever considered that that music might just be something you heard but don't consciously remember, instead of being something your brain composed?
>>
>>74292625
I would think if I've heard it before I would know what it was since it sounded so good and I probably would have been listening to it more after I first heard it. Maybe my mind just took certain parts of several songs I've heard and made it into 1.
>>
>>74284744
>If you actually time yourself you'll realize how much time you're wasting and how few hours you're putting in, got to break through the pain barrier to git gud

delet t his PLEASE
>>
Piano bros, how difficult is a song like Isn't She Lovely by Stevie Wonder considered?
>>
>>74277562
Buy and learn FL Studio.

You'll be making music.
>>
>>74286324
what a fuckin nightmare. i thank god (who doesn't exist by the way) every day that i was born and live in the northeast near 2 of the best music cities in the world
>>
>>74292795
It could be.
Or it could also be that it wasn't actually that good but you were dreaming and didn't have real judging skills.
>>
>>74285530
>6 maximum notes vs 10 on the keyboard
It can be 11/12 as well if you're playing stuff like Bartok/Prokofiev. Even more if you play Rzewski
>>
>>74292908
>buying fl studio
>>
>>74282684
why are you on mu bro
>>
File: Screenshot_20170717-120253.png (441KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170717-120253.png
441KB, 1920x1080px
>sometimes like to make up songs in my head but end up plateauing 100% after 2 minutes of this because melodies are damn near impossible to come up with in my head

>but then i lucid dreamed one day and started imagining a song that was stuck in my head (dont remember what it was)
>couldnt remember the rest of the song so i made up the rest automatically (still mid dream)
>ended up hearing one of the most amazing sounding choruses ive ever heard, literally everything i wanted to hear in that specific style of music in perfect vivid detail like i heard it in a movie theatre
>wake up and forget all of it within 2 hours

has anyone ever done this before?
>>
>>74293708
not him but the dream i was thinking of when i made that post was an epic trance metal song, it was just the trance part and in the dream i was so stoked to wake up and think about guitar licks to add to it because it was the greatest thing id ever heard but when i woke up it was just gone
>>
>>74292871
a blind man could play it
>>
BURP
>>
idont even think its possible to write a song in your head and then just make it because you're likely just gonna end up with a lead, which you then have to find chords for which is hard

your voice can only produce one note at a time, so when your humming out a song youre only humming out a lead

i hum out leads for songs then translate that to an instrument if i already have the chords, but actually humming out a full song seems more difficult than its worth
>>
>>74279894
how
>>
>Took piano lessons when I was 5 & 6
>Had recitals and could write my own music
>Stopped practicing when my teacher moved away and became more interested in guitar
>18 years old now, can't remember anything, terrible at math, and want to play the piano more than anything
>>
>>74294531
pirating is so difficult.
>>
>>74277562
get a DAW.
>>
>>74277562
>>74278497
OP if you're reading this I can do that for you
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.