[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was compiling a list of oft-used/recurring Radiohead words/phrases

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: nice_scream.png (273KB, 298x360px) Image search: [Google]
nice_scream.png
273KB, 298x360px
Was compiling a list of oft-used/recurring Radiohead words/phrases akin to the one for NIN on its wiki (other than the typical shit like "river", "shadow" or "black", "gun" appears a surprising amount of times; "Nowhere to sit without a gun in my hand", "W/ a gun and a pack of sandwiches", "Words are saw(n/ed)-off shotguns" to name a few) and came to acknowledge something I think I'd realised but never thought about before:

"You/Your/You're/Yours[self]", "I/Me/My/Myself" appear so frequently in Thom's lyricism. I mean WAY more than any other artist I know, from the very first word spoken on Pablo Honey, "you", to "you do it to yourself, you do" to "this is what you get" to "you can try the best you can" to "you and your cronies" to "dance you fucker" to "I'm taking you down when I go down" to "I will shape myself into your pocket" to "You really messed up everything"/"Just happy to serve you/"Have you had enough of me?" et al.

With that, a lot of "us/our[s]/we[are/'re]/the[y/ir/y're/m]" but it's not nearly as frequent as "you" and "I" or "me".

Actually got sidetracked finishing the list (words like "it, is, the, of, be etc." are obviously excluded) just tallying up the number of yous/derivatives of the word appear in Radiohead songs.

Thom is EXTREMELY directional with his writing on a level that is insane.
>>
isn't there some research suggesting that the more times you say 'you' in a song the more people like it? sure i read that somewhere once
>>
>>74265170
I don't know. All I know is that there are some crazy chains with the words and that in hindsight it's difficult to find a Radiohead song without it (even EIIRP has that one bit.

One day I'll get to YOU
And teach YOU how to get to purest hell
YOU do it to YOURself YOUyou do
And that's what really hurts
Is YOU do it to YOURself, just YOU
YOU and no-one else
YOU do it to YOUself

>after some "I", one "my" and two "you"

YOU used to be alright
What happened?
Did the cat get YOUR tongue?
Did YOUR string come undone?

List goes on and on, so while I've not seen that research, if it's true, apparently Thom did, and apparently it's very old research.
>>
>>74265170

Link to this? I'm curious (never heard such a thing).
>>
>that image

kek
>>
>>74265142
>>74265298
You've put to words something I've been feeling for quite a lot! Good anon.
>>
Matt Bellamy uses ''Soul'' and ''Control'' in a lot of their songs. I know people will call me a pleb because I listen to Muse but fuck it.
>>
>>74266318
So it's not just me? It does seem to be significantly more repeated with Thom?

His solo albums have the same thing going on.

>>74267138
I still wanted to make a real effort to try and listen to Muse instead of judge them.

The only song I've heard was called map of something and it sounded nothing like a Radiohead ripoff.
>>
>>74267264
not that anon but at that point in their career any resemblance of the radiohead sound in theirs was gone. Listen to showbiz and you can hear the clear influence. OOS is probably their best work
>>
>>74267264
It was probably map of the problematique or map of your head which are both fine tunes. Their Radioheadness is most noticeable in their debut and in Absolution really.
>>
>>74267264
For me it feels like he uses you a lot more than the other artists I listen to too. Even in his more political songs he prefers to use it instead of, idk, they.
>>
>>74267467
Definitely; "Are you such a dreamer...."

It's just like everything is written in first person perspective, which is at odds with a lot of Radiohead's influences.

And it was very gritty and electronic sounding, whichever Muse track it was.
>>
>>74267366
Absolution? Where. The only one I can really point to is Ruled by secrecy but that's it
>>
Holy hell, I never thought about that.
>You
>How Do You?
>Thinking About You?
>Prove Yourself
>I Can't
>Inside My Head
>Nothing Touches Me
>Yes I Am
>My Iron Lung
>Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was
>How Can You Be Sure?
>You Never Wash Up After Yourself
>How I Made My Millions

Just titles from just the first three albums and their b-sides alone. And then I Promise, too.
>>
>>74268000

Typo there with Thinking About You. Inb4 someone tells me it has no question mark. Also, re-reading Pablo Honey's tracklisting, I still find it funny the beginning forms a coherent statement with "You, creep! How do you stop whispering?" and then you have "Prove Yourself" right before "I Can't".
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.