[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this go so mainstream /mu? I'm not trying to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: for_emma_forever_ago.jpg (16KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
for_emma_forever_ago.jpg
16KB, 220x220px
How did this go so mainstream /mu?

I'm not trying to be a pretentious hipster faggot here, this doesn't really sound like an album that would normally get so much mainstream attention. I find tons of stuff in a similar vein that are arguably better on bandcamp weekly. Why did this even get a grammy? It's a really good album but what's so special about it.
>>
>>74237067
It's easy to relate with
>>
Was probably largely due to the music press playing up the whole "le beardy men goes to cabin and pours his soul into album in solitude" meme narrative. It's also something that's really heavily romanticized by the "arty" white girls of the time, so it was really propped up by those types. The falsetto vocals and bare instrumentation makes it feel "unique" and "special" so people favor it over more traditional singer songwriter stuff, despite it not necessarily being better. Also >>74237105

Having said that, I think it's a good album. It's a shame his later stuff felt pretty weak to me.

>I find tons of stuff in a similar vein that are arguably better on bandcamp weekly.
Though I find this hard to believe. Most bandcamp stuff is not near that level, especially when it comes to folk type stuff.
>>
skinny love is objectively a perfect song. the first 4 songs are a 10/10 streak though falls off a bit after that.
>>
>>74237507
See this is what I don't get, I've listened to Skinny Love like 10 times and can't wrap my head around what makes it so amazing. It's a good song, but "objectively perfect?" Why is it perfect, nothing in the song really stands out to me as perfect.
>>
>>74237616
you just have to be an insecure pussy to really get it. or i guess some normie female
>>
>>74237616
Not that guy, but I really like this live version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxMHjTMkLHw

I don't think it's a perfect song or anything, just a good break up song that manages to be catchy without sounding cliched.
>>
nu-males love "muh feels"
>>
>>74237402
its very obvious you had never even heard of bon iver before 2011
>>
>>74237753
Yeah probably.
>>
File: pl.jpg (816KB, 1280x1813px) Image search: [Google]
pl.jpg
816KB, 1280x1813px
The Wolves was the ending song to The Place Beyond the Pines. I'm sure that has something to do with it
>>
>>74238053
that was after he won grammys so i doubt it, great movie though
>>
File: Martin-Scorsese-640x373.jpg (29KB, 639x373px) Image search: [Google]
Martin-Scorsese-640x373.jpg
29KB, 639x373px
>when your moooneysss goooneee and your drunk as hell
>>
>>74237067
He was the first to make pretentious hipster emo indie to blow up, obviously you find similar stuff on bandcamp because all bandcamp is nowadays is hipsters trying to rip off bon iver.

Also Kanye West liked him, probably used his illuminati power to make him blow up.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.