[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy shit I keep falling in love with him. It's 2017 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: R-1418635-1344831507-9638.jpeg.jpg (100KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
R-1418635-1344831507-9638.jpeg.jpg
100KB, 600x579px
Holy shit I keep falling in love with him. It's 2017 and I'm here and I love this album, and years ago I checked it out for the first time and wasn't sure how I felt about it..

I'm testing the waters of Frank Zappa since they knew each other and they're compared to a lot..

What are your genuine feelings of Captain Beefheart? Was he just some guy on psychedelics who's improvisations and ramblings or was he an actual genius? He is a very fascinating man the more I read about him. Didn't think his persona in an interview would be the way it is but you can find videos of him with David Letterman and getting applause..
>>
It's still incredible to think how nearly all of that album was recorded in one session, and that none of it was improvised. They even play it exactly as they do on the album in live recordings. Some might say that anybody else could have made TMR, but I disagree -- I don't think that many people can play an entire double album's worth of material exactly the same way as they practiced all in one go. That takes an absurdly high amount of discipline.
>>
>actual talent
>didn't strictly conform
>fucked around with words
>hates the public

If Animal Collective does it it's great, if Hunter S. Thompson fits his persona he's just a goddamned cool hippie but if it's mixed with blues and jazz it's crazy.

>>74235797
This. Remind yourself that people are deliberately making themselves sound the way they are and you end following the same groove as them.
>>
never been able to get into this album despite taking plenty of acid in my time
>>
I used to love him. Kinda sick of bluesy shit though now, so I don't love him anymore. At this point honestly, his music's no different to me from metal guys like Behold The Arctopus or Jute Gyte. Very rhythmically complex, but melodically/harmonically it's the most boring shit imaginable. This counts more so for The Magic Band as they mostly played within the standard rock music keys and all that. Maybe I should relisten to Decals and his later career stuff, after the goof factor wore out TMR stopped being my favorite a long time ago anyway.
>>
>>74236007
Did you listen to it on acid? Did you listen to any music on acid? Did you have any perspective changes that stuck to you on acid? I mean the answers to those questions for me leads me to this album sounding awesome, I guess it's around the time I started listening to music.. differently, and so this was one of the first albums where I really sunk deep into all the layers.
>>
>>74235797
Is this copypasta?
>>
I've read that he didn't use drugs, and didn't let the Magic Band use any either.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-odyssey-of-captain-beefheart-rolling-stones-1970-cover-story-20101217

I don't really believe that, though. What's the deal?
>>
>>74237509
I read that they smoked copious amounts of weed, but that's about it. I don't think the Captain would have fared well with other drugs anyway, because of his really bad anxiety attacks.
>>
>>74235742
Do you really love the album? Or do you think you like it because you saw a thread on /mu/ sucking the beefheart's dick?
>>
hilarious album
>>
>>74236294
Prove literally anything said in that post wrong
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.