[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a short-to-mid-term goal of playing flute in a prog band

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: thumb5.jpg (248KB, 531x615px) Image search: [Google]
thumb5.jpg
248KB, 531x615px
I have a short-to-mid-term goal of playing flute in a prog band and over classical recordings through my stereo. I don't currently have enough cash to buy a flute that isn't one parents of some middle school band kid posted on craigslist, and I don't yet but will soon have a job, so I'm debating between just buying the slobbery piece of nickel or spending more than a dollar on a decent recorder and practicing on that until I can afford a piece of silver, spending the rest of my dough on CDs and such. What do you think, /mu/?
>>
>>74229647
stick it up your ass and play it instead
>>
>>74229794
Stick what up my ass? The $1 recorder I have now that sometimes gets stuck in the second octave even if you're completely covering the thumb hole, the chinese-made 'silver-colored' flute I may buy, the $20 dollar recorder I may buy instead, or the Captain Beefheart box set I'd buy with the money I save?
>>
>>74229647
i dont know much about buying one but i do know that being good at recorder doesn't translate to flute.
whenever you do get one maybe you should try checking out this channel for practice. although the videos are a bit awkward, i think she's a good teacher
>>
>>74229852
The idea for the recorder is that I could gain practice sight reading, translating notes to fingerings so that when I pick up the flute I don't have a problem figuring out what note is three lines and a space above a G or whatever. Is that a good idea?
>>
>>74229955
i think learning on a keyboard or a melodica would be better if you have access. im no recorder expert but im pretty sure it doesn't have all 12 notes on it, and can only play in one octave. Although im sure you can make some improvements with learning how to read on recorder i dont feel its the most efficient way. i know it sounds dumb now but when i was younger i used "every good boy deserves fudge" and "F A C E" to learn notes on the staff and it really helped.
also as a heads up the fingerings on flute might feel really complicated at first to learn so you might want to find a fingering chart in a beginners book or find one for free online to get to know them.

and the link i forgot to put
https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnFluteOnline/featured
>>
>>74230079
I concur with this. You'd be better off as a musician to learn keyboard/piano. Learn recorder if you must, but know that it is a really shitty instrument and it basically is useless to learning flute.
>>
File: IMG_3208.jpg (89KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3208.jpg
89KB, 640x533px
>>74229647
>>
>>74230079
The recorder absolutely can play a chromatic scale, as long as you learn the fingerings, which often involve leaving holes open when the adjacent holes are closed. At least that's what I picked up when I tried to play something past hot crossed buns on my dollar one before I found out it was unplayable.
I could try learning piano too, but this 61-key casio keyboard I have is just the kind of instrument to make one hate playing an instrument.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.