[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post genres that you immediately discard into trash >Post-Rock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

File: 1464860598854.png (225KB, 936x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1464860598854.png
225KB, 936x1000px
Post genres that you immediately discard into trash
>Post-Rock
>Indie Pop
>Conscious Hip-Hop
>Vaporwave
>Synthwave
>Nu Metal
>Rap Rock
>>
>>74229389
>Contemporary R&B
>(C)rap
>EDM
>Modern Top 40 anything
>>
>>74229389
What's wrong with synthwave and vaporwave?
>>
>>74229460
>synthwave
boring 80's wank with no originality whatsoever
>vaporwave
just meme garbage in general, like nightcore
>>
>>74229441
this post is aggressively caucasian
>>
File: fqtfk.jpg (18KB, 409x393px) Image search: [Google]
fqtfk.jpg
18KB, 409x393px
>Genre
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 188x260px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 188x260px
>>74229522
>music
>originality
lul
>>
File: for hero for fool.jpg (62KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
for hero for fool.jpg
62KB, 480x480px
I never thought I could get into rap rock either.
>>
File: _o233oyn8Bw1v0pigno1_1280.png (210KB, 1280x809px) Image search: [Google]
_o233oyn8Bw1v0pigno1_1280.png
210KB, 1280x809px
>>74229389
>metal
>hip hop
>blues
>rock n roll
>punk
>hardcore
>funk
>hard rock
>>
File: IMG_3514.jpg (89KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3514.jpg
89KB, 500x749px
>He hasnt figured out there isnt any genres or spacetime
>>
what the hell is this genre shit? why are we labeling music?
>>
>op is actually broadly generalizing.
>>
>>74229389
>thrash metal
>groove metal
>power metal
>mumble rap
>>
>implying I disregard any genre of music
>implying every genre of music doesn't have something to offer me
>>
>>74231015
this unironically
>>
>>74230868

I think you just summed up my actual taste in music
>>
File: IMG_4698.jpg (154KB, 640x645px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4698.jpg
154KB, 640x645px
Alternative Rock, Art Rock, Progressive Rock, Experimental Rock, Electronic, Shoegaze, Pop Rock, Baroque Pop, Hard Rock, Glam Rock, Heavy Metal, Indie Rock, Spiritual Jazz, Avant-Garde Jazz, Indie Folk, Folk Rock, Singer/Songwriter, Post-Punk, Contemporary Folk, Psychedelic Rock, Post-Rock, Indie Pop, New Wave, Chamber Pop, Art Punk, Third Stream, Punk Rock, Grunge, East Coast Hip Hop, Boom Bap, Hardcore Hip Hop, Blues Rock, Acid Rock

https://twitter.com/naraha_kobe
>>
>>74231465
>he listens to nintendocore
>>
I only listen to music that can't be categorised by genre you pleb
>>
File: 1478455372790.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1478455372790.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>74231493
I bet it could easily be categorized as shit
>>
>>74231493
"genre: other", still counts as a genre you faggit
>>
>>74229522
what an angry little kid
>>
>music
kek
>>
>>74230023
Mad blackie detected
>>
>classical
>jazz
>pop
>electronic
>country
>nu metal

Just listen to real music you plebs.
>>
>>74230023
Fuck off, nigger. No one wants your kind here.
>>
I honestly discard anything that isn't glam metal, heavy metal, thrash metal, power metal, hard rock, or soft rock.
>>
>>74230773
I've never thought of Subtle as 'rap rock'. They did a sharp turn into downtempo. But you have a point about this album anon.
>>
>>74230835
>STOP LABELLING THINGS. I FIND THINGS BETTER WHEN THEY'RE IN ONE BIG HEAP. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
What's wrong with post-rock tho
>>
>>74229389
>>74233214
>ITT: retards

maybe if you expressed yourselves in anything other than black and white statements, grunts, and hand gestures
>>
>>74231465
>Glam Rock
>bad
kys nu-male
>>
Crunkcore is the only genre I've found in my experience to be universally bad.
>>
>>74230868
Damn that's some shit taste there
>>
>>74230810
stay woke
>>
>>74233298
It's... awful anon.

Most post-rock albums feel like the sucked the soul out of prog, stretched it out to boring proportions, and pinned up parts of its cadaver into a few crescendos.

When I say it's boring, bear in mind that I'll happily listen to a two-hour ambient album, or the same noise looped for 20 minutes. I have a long attention span, but post-rock is fucking vacuous.
>>
>Country
>>
>>74231465
hey A Live One is pretty damn good for being a live Phish album
>>
any melodic / alternative / folk metal
>>74233282
>>74230773
i'd say 13 & god is closer to rap rock
>>
>>74233397
depends really
the main point about post rock is that it's minimalist where prog is maximalist. not to say its not filled with ideas. a lot of first wave post rock albums are crammed full of interesting ideas, that have aged better than prog ideas.
post rock does not require crescendos remember, that's just a 2000s idea that hasn't been left to die yet.
>>
File: pglost in never out.jpg (53KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
pglost in never out.jpg
53KB, 700x700px
>>74233397
>I'll happily listen to a two-hour ambient album, or the same noise looped for 20 minutes
Are we talking about the same thing here? Because that's what a lot of instrumental post rock is. Listening to this right now.
>>
>Soul
>Funk
>Disco
>RnB
>Jazz
>Bossa nova
>Cumbia
>Salsa
>Afrobeat
>Highlife
>Zamrock
>Ethiopian pop
>Mariachi
>Mambo
>Tango
>Samba
>Rumba
>Son
>Merengue
>Bachata
>Calypso
>Rocksteady
>Dub
>Roots
>Mento
>Reggae
>>
>>74233497
You should try this album.
>>
>>74233620
le white nationalist face
>>
>>74233709
Way ahead of you famalam. Love that album. Shame their other albums have dumb screamo bullshit.
>>
>>74233431
13&god would be "indie rock rap" I guess. That Subtle album actually has some real "driving" rock moments to it, now that I'm relistening. (I prefer 13&g by a country mile though.)

>>74233495
>>74233497
I get that it's minimalist and its thoughtful. But when I want minimalism, I don't really want the trappings of rock music at the same time. The combination never sounds as interesting as on paper. The genre also seems to get incredibly hung-up on a few tropes. Crescendos are one. Another is the distorted, mid-pitch guitar sound people seem to have picked up from Godspeed and taken to be obligatory. Pg.lost has both things, and it immediately turn me off. The album also begins with the classic "warbling ambient guitar, bright twinkling noises, slowed down military drums". Even without the question of originality, I find this stuff immediately dull.

Happy to try non-crescendo ambient post-rock. I would love to find an exception to my dis-like.
>>
>>74230835
this desu.
>>
>>74232490
>>74233241
>hurrr durrr he lieks (c)rap so he must be a filthy niggur xDDDDDDDD!!!!
Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>74233767
>The album also begins with the classic "warbling ambient guitar, bright twinkling noises, slowed down military drums". Even without the question of originality, I find this stuff immediately dull
Fuck you for making me notice this in a lot of albums now. I still find it comfy to have stuff like this on in the background though with a few exceptions like >>74233709 which just get me relaxed.
>>
>>74233752
Well to be fair, they were a metal band before they were Post-Rock/Post-Metal

And I mean, not all of their old material is bad. Like, this is a pretty great track, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6-IuAYTDsU

Also, I should add, Departure Songs, the record that launched them into relative fame, was made BECAUSE their old singer killed himself (on top of being a tribute to mankind's greatest achievements and failures)

>>74233767
>Happy to try non-crescendo ambient post-rock. I would love to find an exception to my dis-like.
Perhaps Toe?

>>74233825
We Lost The Sea is always fucking good
>>
>>74233767
> I would love to find an exception to my dis-like.
ok friend, try these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjnayJBrcrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLbpdBVMRag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFHdeGNJeg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25YbRHAc_h4

third album sort of fits into your warm ambient guitar trope - but at heart its just referencing shoegaze
>>
>>74233859
wew that's pretty fucking sad. I feel bad now. That is a pretty good track though. It's just not really my thing anymore.
>>
>>74233903
>>74233903
Yep, Chris Torpy was a depressed dude.

>It's just not really my thing anymore.
I feel ya. I'm REALLY into Post-Rock, but I do enjoy screamo and skramz a lot more than I used to
>>
>>74233959
By the way I gave Toe, you suggested to the other guy a quick listen and it sounds pretty fucking great.
>>
>>74233431
13 & God's self-titled is more rock than A New White, but For Hero: For Fool is most rock of the lot.
>>
>Post-Dreamwavestep
>Minimal Dark Ambifunk
>Anti-Garage Surf Bop
>Conscious Canadian Proto-Oi!
>Guntwave
>>
>>74233767
The Notwist is really underrated too.
Did you hear Superheroes, Ghostvillains & Stuff?
>>
>>74233988
Toe is absolutely amazing. I'm glad you like them
>>
>>74234089
I'm going to bed now but definitely going to give it a good listen tomorrow. At least if the ruskies are still seeding it.
>>
>>74233859
Toe album sounds pretty decent so far. Nice recommendation. However, the best parts so far are all on the 'math rock' part of the spectrum. And the quieter guitar moments (like 'Two Moons', which I sampled first) sound like American Football style emo. (This is just semantics, but so is the whole thread. Nice album anyway.)
>>
>>74234073
No, not heard that one. I probably haven't heard half their stuff, actually, which is pretty stupid since I love 13&god. Hoe does Superheroes Etc. measure up?
>>
>>74233792
t. nigger
>>
>>74234340
It's an incredible and lengthy live album, but I would maybe check out their studio stuff first, especially Neon Golden and The Devil, You + Me.
>>
Traditional Folk
Singer Songwriter
Non European Classical
European Classical
Experimental
Jazz
Rock
R&B
Post Electro Electronic ("EDM")
Hip Hop

Anything else?
>>
>>74229389
if you associate indie pop with Grimes garbage, I can forgive you, unless you're stepping on my twee and E6 love
>>
>>74233862
Thanks for your thoughtful reply anon.

FUCK that talk talk track is great. I already listened to Laughing Stock a few times. I find it difficult to think of them as post-rock rather than "art rock", but I guess you got me anon. Do I really have to get a 2CD b-sides album for this track? How did this not make the cut for a studio album?

Cul de Sac - never heard of them. This sounds like pretty solid krautrock. If that's what post-rock is supposed to be, then I'm all for it. Now that I think about, most krautrock goes further beyond rock music than most post-rock.

Southpacific - eh, this is pretty alright, but it seems to be on the edge of when post-rock became formulaic drivel. The genre should have stopped here in 1999.

múm:
>sprawling pseudo-ambient slow guitar
>muh loud/quiet dynamic
>glitchy low-tier IDM detailing
>01:10 length lack of quality control
& if I didn't already know this album, I could tell it was the bad kind of post-rock from the track names.
>>
>>74229460
t. insecure faggot
>>
>>74233715
>afrobeat
>white nationalist
ok senpai
>>
>>74234930
It sounds like you'll enjoy the Too Pure Records catalogue, Moonshake in particular as well as Long Fin Killie and Th' Faith Healers. I assume you've already heard Stereolab?
>>
>Alternative rock
>Indie rock
>Post-Punk
>Dream Pop
>>
>>74229522
There's orginal "post-vaporwave" on dream catalog though.
>>
>Trap
>Pop
>>
Hick-hop
>>
>>74229389
What's wrong with post-rock?
>>
>>74229389
Faggy bait, have a (You)
>>
>jazz
>hip-hop
>classical
>rock (all genres)
>Pop
>reggae and reggaeton
>rnb
>soul
>blues
>k-pop
>folk
>psychadelic
>noise
>power electronics
>idm
>edm
>every other type of electronic music
>latin
>afrobeat
>all genres that end in -wave
>spoken word
>world
>Opera
>genres starting with post-
>genres starting with nu-
>metal
>industrial
>holiday music
>dance
>country
>alternate
>gospel
>indie

not even memeing. Trip-hop is the only genre I listen to.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.