[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>king of rock and roll >didn't write a single song

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: elvis-presley.jpg (15KB, 190x223px) Image search: [Google]
elvis-presley.jpg
15KB, 190x223px
>king of rock and roll
>didn't write a single song
>king of rock and rolll
>>
>dude here's a song using the same 4 chords as that song but my guitar is tuned three steps down instead of two therefore it's original!
>>
>>74214660
idk ive only ever seen white suburban moms say he is the king
>>
Bro, he literally popularized blues to the white people, that's all he did
>>
Elvis always said he considered Fats Domino the King of Rock and Roll.
>>74214725
Rock and Roll was already known to whites before Elvis came along, see Billy Haley and the Comets.
>>
It's not like he is complete garbage, but he is not close to be the king of anything other than king of getting the most credit for stealing nigger's music
>>
He was a great performer and entertainer, which was what rock and roll was all about before sad boys like John Lennon and Thom Yorke and Jeff Mangum.
>>
Elvis threads on /mu/ are fucking embarrassing.

Every single one is just retards parroting the 'he stole black music' line of crap like it's correct or original, and other retards who think being a songwriter (or having albums) is essential to being a god tier entertainer.

Like it or not, Elvis IS the king of rock and roll, and always will be. With all due respect to Chuck Berry's guitar playing NO ONE defined the genre as a total package more than Elvis.

And Elvis was a absolute god tier performer and had an incredible voice, even in his later years at worse.

Y'all really owe it to yourselves to give him a chance instead of parroting the 'he stole black music' line of crap or acting like who wrote the song matters
>>
>>74215179
>>74215791
/thread
>>
>>74215791
Elvis invented cultural appropriation
>>
>>74215930
>actually being this retarded
The entirety of societal development throughout all of human history is based entirely on "cultural appropriation", you dumb fuck.
>>
>>74215179
>>74215791
I think people really underestimate Elvis's innovation and musical talent because of the "stealing from black people meme." Because that's not all he did. If you want to hear what a white artist who just stole black rock and roll sounded like, listen to Bill Haley. Elvis was different. He was one of the first people to blend rock and roll with the swingier and rock-ish elements of hillbilly music (which turned into country). And he did it intentionally and pretty much on his own. He had gotten a record deal based on the strength of his voice, but was struggling to find an interesting sound and decided to cover a black song, but played with a more hillbilly feel (and in response, a hillbilly song played with a rock feel). Even if it kind of started as a "what if we did this?" experiment, that was pretty huge. He did a lot more than just popularize black music: he pretty much invented rockabilly.
>>
>>74216630
And how is it that nowadays that memo seems to define (and consign Elvis to the trash) whereas artists like the Rolling Stones or Clapton blatantly and much less authentically ripped off the blues are still respected?

Elvis 'stole' from blacks in the same way Eminem did (not true, by the way) - he took the music he heard around him every day, the music that was part of his poor southern culture, the music he loved, and added his unique flair and talent to it.

And, man, what talent! Dude had charisma and stage presence like no one else!

I fully understand how the boring live shows and lifeless artists of today's rock artists (especially indie) is a reaction to the over the top forced 70s / 80s arena rock garbage (and no I don't want Alton John / Liberace style cheese) but goddamnit, what I wouldn't give for a modern rock performer with half the excitement and energy Elvis brought to the stage!
>>
File: Chuck_Berry_1957.jpg (204KB, 1200x1515px) Image search: [Google]
Chuck_Berry_1957.jpg
204KB, 1200x1515px
>King of rock and roll
Found a better picture of him
>>
>>74215179
yep

Elvis is the King

(Scotty Moore too)
>>
>>74217774
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3FNLnFg6Ck

Goree Carter was around years before Chuck Berry

Chuck didn't invent anything more than Elvis
>>
>>74214703
He was a swindler to be sure but chord progressions can't be owned, if that's what you meant.
>>
>>74218626
You have no idea what the fuck I meant, do you, nigger?
>>
>>74218626
you have no clue man

Elvis grew up poorer than most blacks he lived around
>>
>>74214725
>Whiteys ain't allowed to make dis type of music nigga
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqbuus8QPU
gem
>>
>>74217774
Chucks influence is absolutely undeniable, and his live shows incredible too.

But like the another anon said: Scotty Moore. Right or wrong, Elvis includes Scotty (and later, Carl Perkins) as in a big part of what made Elvis king. Elvis was gifted with great musicians that made him, whereas Chuck never had whereas Chuck never had the pipes.

Yeah, I'm sure the racism of the time was part of it, but Chuck never had the reach of Elvis - even though his guitar style was the embodiement of rock and roll, he himself never was the way Elvis was and still is
>>
>>74214725
>Elvis
>Blues

what

his shit is all gospel, bluegr and country with the new fangled invention of the back beat

rock 'n roll, rockabilly, not blues
>>
File: 1494636131676.gif (104KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
1494636131676.gif
104KB, 250x201px
mfw Burning Love comes on at work
>>
>>74218840
Chuck Berry ripped off Goree Carter

The Sun Sessions guys like Scotty are super important but Elvis became a thing because he had an incredible instinct for showmanship and entertaining. He was extremely aware of what got reactions and then expanded on them. His music was great and groundbreaking but its not what made audiences go insane when they saw him perform.
>>
>>74215791
Who wrote the song matters, and even more than the one who performs the song, the guy who writes is a true artist, the one who performs it its just reproducing art. You can certainly make a replica of a DalĂ­'s painting, but I doubt you can ever come up with something like The Persistence of Memory
>>
>>74219043
you're an idiot

you have no idea how music was performed and perceived back in the day

it was a constant thing of someone writing a song and then others doing their performance of it

the notion that the writer of a song is of sole importance or the only one permitted to perform it is a recent invention of the past 50 years or so

for the hundreds of years prior a piece was written and then performed by musicians

music is a performance, and much of the art is in the performance of it, not the mere writing of it

an analogy with painting doesn't make any sense
>>
>>74219043
Yeah, thats a completely crap analogy.

Of course songwriters are true artists, but so are the performers.

Songs are performed after they are written, not replicated - its a big difference.

As someone who's seen way too many butchered cover songs, trust mean when I say that when you are enjoying a performance, it's the performance that you are enjoying. Of course, it's pretty damn hard to have a good performance if you're material is absolute shit so yes songwriting matters in that sense.
But it's the performer that brings it to life, and who wrote the song doesn't really matter when you're experiencing it.

I mean you're not seriously arguing that only that those who write a song can perform it well, are you?
>>
File: elvis and girls.jpg (170KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
elvis and girls.jpg
170KB, 700x450px
How many do you think the King banged?

Like lifetime total?
>>
File: john-lennon1980_kuat0lnc.jpg (108KB, 443x615px) Image search: [Google]
john-lennon1980_kuat0lnc.jpg
108KB, 443x615px
>>74214660
>Died on a toilet
>Daughter married Michael Jackson AND HAD LOTS OF PASSIONATE SEX ON A DAILY BASIS

Instant Karma's gonna get you
Gonna knock you right on the head
You better get yourself together
Pretty soon you're gonna be dead
>>
>>74219043
read some fucking sheet music and throw your record player out the window you nerd ass piece of trash
>>
>>74219043
oh boy...
>>
>called a king
>died on a throne

LIKE POTTERY
>>
File: 05-18-14-PERS-Roy-Orbison-ftr.jpg (60KB, 1240x775px) Image search: [Google]
05-18-14-PERS-Roy-Orbison-ftr.jpg
60KB, 1240x775px
Real king reporting in
>>
File: KingofRocknRoll.jpg (19KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
KingofRocknRoll.jpg
19KB, 300x450px
>>74214660
>ah hey
>ah hey hey
>>
File: king and queen.jpg (47KB, 250x289px) Image search: [Google]
king and queen.jpg
47KB, 250x289px
But can we get some love for that sweet lady with the nasty voice, the QUEEN of rockabilly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apG66LkF-Tw
>>
>>74221167
So that's where Elle King got her persona from
>>
>>74221223
is she that Exs and O's singer?

My gf loves that song, so I played her Wanda and now she loves her too

Wanda's album with Jack White is fucking great if you haven't heard it. Like 70 odd years old and shes still got it
>>
>>74215179
Kurt Cobain killed rock n roll
>>
Elvis literally invented Entertainment, he's the reason why the modern world is the way it is today.

sex sells.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.