[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I summon professionals in this thread. I gave up on actual monitors.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

I summon professionals in this thread.
I gave up on actual monitors. So, I just need good headphones to be able to create and mix music.
I'm no professional mixing engineer or anything, I just need to mix to a level where it's just "ok" and generally listenable, so my demands are not high. I used to have sennheiser HD 380 Pro, which were advertised as a professional mixing device. And oh boy they caused lot's of trouble. It was literally unbearable. So I did some rough mix/eq with them, it sounded ok. And then I tried to listen this exact track with different headphones (lots of them). And it was a fucking mess, it was like a totally different music, bass was all over the place, it was just unlistenable. I mean it was so bad that I decided to use apple earpods and 100$ in-ear sennheisers instead and it was way better. Later I, once again, decided to get some better headphones, "professional" ones. But this time I started researching. And guess what. The INDUSTRY STANDARD is HD 280 PRO (which are supposedly even worse than HD 380 PRO). So what should I do? Was my unit defective or something? Should I just buy those?
>>
>>74202288
HD 280 Pro's are very neutral, and any other monitoring headphone you buy is going to be the same. If you aren't used to neutral sound it's going to sound strange compared to the bass-boosted piece of shit earbuds you're accustomed to.
>>
>>74202327
Yeah, I kind of get it.
But I mean in those HD 380 PRO I was equalizing bass the way I can at least hear it, but in all consumer oriented headphones (beats, earpods, cheap sennheisers and all that) the same bass was so enormously loud that 80% of what you can hear there is that bass. I mean what is the point of professional monitoring headphones then if the sound you hear using them has pretty much nothing in common with the sound of consumer headphones? How am i even supposed to use them? I mean I thought that the point of monitors and monitoring headphones was like "If you make your track sound good in those, then it will sound good in everything else".
>>
brainwavs hm5
>>
>>74202288
>The INDUSTRY STANDARD is HD 280 PRO
only for tracking, and only because they don't leak sound much

If you have ~3 pairs of headphones that you're familiar with (so that you understand what ranges tend to be boosted compared to the other ones) and switch between them while making any EQ decisions, you can do a decent enough job. But it's slower and a much bigger pain in the ass than using decent monitors in a decently treated room. Basically you're obligated to second guess yourself and check everything multiple times.
>>
>>74202936
oh well, so there is no "ultimate monitoring headphones" panacea even if the demands to the mix aren't high...
>>
>>74203006
not really, if you got Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 headphones and carefully equalized them for the flattest possible response, you could probably do okay

I used to mix on HD280s and it mostly came out alright, but I wasn't really doing super ambitious or complicated stuff at the time
>>
>>74202288
There is no reason at all to get anything more expensive than those bad boys unless you're """aduiophile""" cancer. 280 hd pro is practical and comfortable for any purpose
>>
>>74203113
uhh no not really, plenty of headphones perform considerably better than those
>>
>>74203082
Thank you.
>>
>>74202288
https://sonarworks.com/blog/how-to-choose-the-best-studio-headphones/
>>
I bought these second hand

https://www.amazon.com/JVC-HANC250-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B000U07C1U

Can someone tell me how good they are?
>>
>>74202288
>And then I tried to listen this exact track with different headphones (lots of them). And it was a fucking mess, it was like a totally different music, bass was all over the place, it was just unlistenable.

monitoring headphones are supposed to be that way, flat, that don't add layers of bass, they are supposed to be neutral.
hd 380 pro are the best in the market without
spending too much.
>>
File: 20170114_092208.jpg (684KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170114_092208.jpg
684KB, 2048x1152px
>>74202288
Monitoring is one thing and 100 buck headphones can do it well
Sony MDR7506, AKG 240 or 271
Mixing and mastering is a whole different species, expect to pay around 200-300+
Breyerdynamic DT-880 Pro
AKG 712 Pro, K702
There are others, Audio-Technica ATH-M50-bass heavy, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, ultra clear. It kind of just depends on what you want. "Industry Standard" is a bullshit term, there's a reason so many of these phones exist and that's personal preference.
I use AKG 240 MKII for recording monitor and 702's for mix/master. I've seen people complain about a lack of bass but I suspect they're not being driven by a proper amp. I have no such issue.
>>
>>74202288
>The INDUSTRY STANDARD is HD 280 PRO
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahaha

if you're a cheap fuck get a pair of AKG K240 studio
>>
File: fuck it.png (115KB, 224x220px) Image search: [Google]
fuck it.png
115KB, 224x220px
What do you mean "give up" on monitors?

There is no industry standard "mixing headphones" professionals don't mix on headphones.
>>
>>74204376
>JVC

Not very good

>Active noise cancelling

Nothing you listen to is going to sound anything like the original source
>>
The Beyerdynamic DT series have been the best ones I've used, at least for a neutral sound. I feel most headphones give you either too much or too little bass, often sacrificing clear sound for loudness.
My 2 cents
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.