[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age do you grow out of music? At what age does listening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: 1472923867608.png (261KB, 500x437px) Image search: [Google]
1472923867608.png
261KB, 500x437px
At what age do you grow out of music? At what age does listening to indie twee pop 19 year old college kid music become pathetic?

Am I correct in my assumption that /mu/ has the most teenagers out of all the boards on 4chan?
>>
you've been acting mean here lately san
>>
File: 6009142.jpg (11KB, 395x237px) Image search: [Google]
6009142.jpg
11KB, 395x237px
I mean if you're a braindead sped whose only frame of reference for "music" ranges from twee pop to shoegaze to midwest emo, and for whom the word "BORING" flashes in his peanut brain when he hears the very genres "jazz" or "classical" brought up in conversation, to say nothing of the multitudinous subgenres of art music, then yes you would be very correct in your simplistic assumption that most teenagers grow out of "music" at an early age!
>>
>>74193731
fresh pasta
>>
>>74193731
Why Is Jazz Put On The Same Level As Classical Music?

Its something I don't understand. Music snobs lump Jazz and Classical together as the "superior" music as opposed to Popular music. Classical I understand- it has lasted all these years for a reason. But Jazz, I don't get it. Jazz has a lot more in common with Popular music- it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play. Also, little emotion in Jazz.

I have nothing against Jazz musicians- I do agree it takes skill and all of that. But why is it considered an "elevated" form of music? This is true in most colleges and universities even- they have a Jazz Department. They do not have a Country and Western department. Its complete opposite of Classical music to my ears. I don't hate Jazz, to me its nice for background music at a coffee shop or bookstore, but to sit down and listen to it , no thanks!

In Classical there is more emotion usually, although I don't understand I-talian Operas very well. But I see why people respect Classical music as a higher level of music- and I don't take offense at that. But why Jazz?
>>
>>74194198
Jazz is truly amazing, you say classical has emotion and can be seen as higher form, but have you listened to a lot of jazz? I'm not talking that shitty elevator music jazz, I'm talking badbadnotgood. They actually got me into jazz.
>>
>>74194244
It's a pasta from an autism forum (not /mu/)
>>
>/mu/ has the most teenagers out of all the boards on 4chan?

/pol/ and /soc/ exist

>>74193731
who dis qt
>>
>>74193731

Well said.

Lots of people lack the initiative to find music outside of top 40 and most trendy. They can't escape the mediocrity and thus dislike all music enthusiasm in general. If they would just do some research...

I know more about music than I do about myself
>>
Music isn't art.
>>
>>74194346
It's above it
>>
>>74194311
lol I hope this is pasta
>>
File: pole.png (90KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
pole.png
90KB, 500x501px
>>74194346
>>
>>74194286

I don't lurk as much as in the past, thank you anon.
>>
People don't grow out of music, they just grow out of music as an identity. Teenagers are boring and stupid so they think listening to certain music makes them interesting. That phase reaches its peak somewhere around 16-19 and tapers off as they reach adulthood.
>>
>>74194373
Nope

Are you familiar with the song by Tool
"I know you well, you are apart of me. I know you better than I know myself"
>>
>>74194467

>So they think listening to certain kinds of music makes them interesting

What of those who make music a lifetime goal of pursuit?
>>
>>74194373
>>74194418
It's the cheesecake of the brain. It's just your brain rewarding you for predicting the next pattern.
>>
>>74194506

So there is no thought provocation or new perspectives? Just a guessing game of repetition? You listen to too much kpop
>>
>>74193731
This is a dumb post.
>>
>>74194531
>So there is no thought provocation or new perspectives?
Nope.
>Just a guessing game of repetition?
Yep.

And this is true for all music. Field recordings are closer to art than music is.
>>
>>74194584

Not taking the b8 plebian
>>
>>74193544
Yes, /mu/ is definitely the most underage board. Music is also the least demanding medium, so mentally deficient are numerous here as well.
>>
>implying i ever grew INTO music

i just come here to shitpost
>>
>>74194657
True.
>>
>>74194506
I can argue the same thing for literally every form of entertainment.
>>
>>74194620
At least field recordings vaguely depict a world. Music is just you passively jacking your brain off to patterns. All attempts at using our brain's auditory oscillation as an artistic medium is a misguided and a waste of time, though, to be honest.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
>>74193544
>At what age do you grow out of music?
I've never heard of anyone growing out of music. Either people like music or they don't.

> At what age does listening to indie twee pop 19 year old college kid music become pathetic?
At what does finding Sam Hyde funny and making fun of black people on the internet become pathetic?

>Am I correct in my assumption that /mu/ has the most teenagers out of all the boards on 4chan?
No that's either /b/ /pol/ or /r9k/
>>
>>74195258
>I've never heard of anyone growing out of music.
Most people do.
>>
>>74194897
So poems read aloud aren't art? Literature being read to you isn't art? Literature set to music isn't art, when literature is? The majority of music is set to words. That was a dumb post dude
>>
>>74195510
they might grow out of using it for fashion reasons and listening to it all the time, but it's not like they don't enjoy music
>>
>>74194308
>/pol/ and /soc/ exist
I have never read something so right in my life
>>
>>74195526
You're retarded. While it is true humans use speech, and speech of course is only possible because of hearing, but, its the word's meaning that is important, not the phonetic structure. You wouldn't consider literature a visual medium simply because it's stored in text, would you? No. Literature is a linguistic medium. I could tell a story or make a poem with sign language if wanted to.
>The majority of music is set to words.
True, and the fact that "songs" are by far way more popular than "musical pieces" is a testament to how most people don't really like music and are more interested in the personality/image embedded in popular music than the actual music itself.
>>
>>74193544
You don't grow out of music if you ever really liked it to begin with, you fucking dipshit.
>>
>>74193544
>grow out of music

Holy fucking shit you're beyond salvation.

Even the edgy teens who listen to nothing but Slipknot and Linkin Park at least fucking enjoy what they're listening to. You're worse than them. You're literally forcing yourself to hear music to be another fucking snowflake. Fucking God this makes me angry.

>>74194373
Legit hope this is bait. If you fucks don't enjoy or appreciate music then what the fuck are you even here for.

>>74194584
What are the chances that you don't know theory?
>>
>>74196033
>You're literally forcing yourself to hear music to be another fucking snowflake.
What? No. I don't listen to music at all.
>>
>>74196063
What do you do other being some another hipster down the block?
>>
>>74196096
None of your business. I never listen to music though. Music is a meme. I kind of (really) hate it.
>>
File: 2f7.jpg (7KB, 200x169px) Image search: [Google]
2f7.jpg
7KB, 200x169px
>>74196063
you're everything i hate about this shit board
>>
>>74196190
Well fear not teenbro, I don't browse this dying irrelevant board.
>>
>>74195884
Yes you're retarded. Music regularly integrates literature therefore it becomes art. This process doesn't invalidate the additional love of the purely musical, that's an assumption concocted in your pin head brain. Both can be, and is loved. Your statement applies to the surface level of popular culture and doesn't consider art oriented music. All brittle conjecture. Your argument is pathetic. Fuck off
>>
>>74196233
but i do
>>
>>74193544
>Am I correct in my assumption that /mu/ has the most teenagers out of all the boards on 4chan?
Because /b/ totally doesn't exist...
>>
File: 1349153434267s.jpg (3KB, 119x125px) Image search: [Google]
1349153434267s.jpg
3KB, 119x125px
>If you stop doing something it means you never really enjoyed it in the first place.
>>
>>74196249
>Music regularly integrates literature therefore it becomes art.
Pretty pathetic that your """art medium""" has to be propped up against a real art medium in order to be legitimate.
>>
File: 1473514572407.png (52KB, 302x190px) Image search: [Google]
1473514572407.png
52KB, 302x190px
>>74196233
>Well fear not teenbro
You've just outed yourself, go back please
>>
>>74196165
Are you autistic? Curious.

I'm feeling sad for you. You're missing out on the greatest art form there is.

And you can't be more wrong on as to why people enjoy music. If you simplify everything to some brain patterns and reactions, it'll lose every meaning it has regardless of the medium.

The way you're referring to people on /mu/ as teenagers tell a lot about you. You want validation, that you're somehow more enlightened than others. The best way to get that feeling is to belittle others and be ignorant about it, like how you're doing right now.
>>
>>74196350
https://youtu.be/FFPjFjUonX8
>>
>>74196350
>pretty pathetic
No, theres nothing pathetic about it.

The only pathetic thing here is your "argument". Pathetic pin head anon
>>
>>74193544
The rest of this post is low quality bait, but this question actually has an answer, and it's somewhere between mid 20's and mid 30's. Around that age other interests and priorities in your life squeeze out any room for music on anything but the most superficial level, and you mostly just default to listening to background radio or the music you liked when you were younger. Same with vidya. Get a job, a wife, a car payment, a mortgage and a kid and then see how important music and video games are to you.

>b-b-but that'll never happen to me, I'm special!

Yep, just like everybody else who said the same thing when they were 18.
>>
>>74196410
>Are you autistic?
Of course I am, I'm on 4chan.
>I'm feeling sad for you.
I feel worse for you. You are probably one of those idiots who says they would rather be blind than deaf.
>You're missing out on the greatest art form there is.
That would literature.

[spoiler]Music isn't art by the way[/spoiler]
>>
>>74194657
I'd say vidya attracts a lot of underages and literal autismos as well, possibly more so than music.
>>
>>74196517
Let's talk about why your definition of music is flawed.

People don't enjoy music from guessing what comes next. People enjoy music because of how it sounds, really, and how it makes them feel, and what emotions those sound convey. A lot of music don't have choruses, nor do they have same parts repeating, so this "pattern" idea you came up with is very flawed. >>74194506

There are various notes and key signatures. Each differing sounds can make a person feel different emotions accordingly. A lot of classical pieces lack lyrics and yet they excel to tell stories than most literatures do.

I want to know what are your favorite literature. What level you're on.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.