[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this even /mu/core? It actually fun and listenable without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg (64KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg
64KB, 300x300px
Why is this even /mu/core?

It actually fun and listenable without being dull, its not a gimmicky sound nor is it particularly obscure.

It just seems like a decent album? Is it because its so critically acclaimed?
>>
>>74185862
Because /mu/ likes it
>>
because post-African repetitions
>>
>>74185872
literally this
>>
>>74185872
Exactly.

Every other album that establishes itself as /mu/core either has some sort of notable gimmick (ITAOTS, MPP) is purposefully difficult (Buyers Market, Trout Mask Replica) or is objectively bad and liked ironically (Hospice, MBTDF).

It just seems like a normal, decent album, it doesn't fit the pattern.
>>
>>74185919
It isn't normal by a long shot. I tried playing it for my "normie" friends back in high scholl, and they couldn't understand it.
>>
>>74185919
David Byrne is one of the strangest and most unique vocalists ever, it's hardly 'normal'.
>>
>>74185919
Buyer's Market isn't even music. It's a compilation of interviews. You could've chosen a better example.
>>
>>74185933
It's danceable. What's more to "understand"?
>>
>>74185919
>liked ironically
i've got some bad news for you
>>
>>74185933
>>74185954
Its literally pop music

Once in a lifetime is the only /mu/core song you're ever going to hear on the radio, name me one other /mu/core album that's gotten ANY (non-college) radio play.

Talking Heads get a lot of play actually.
>>
You shouldn't listen to music if you really don't get this album. It's a masterpiece in both instrumental aspects and vocal aspects.
>>
>>74186035
Frontier Psychiatrist
21st Century Schizoid Man
Moonchild
All Bjork songs
All Radiohead songs
/mu/ listens to as obscure albums as /tv/ watches films.
>>
>>74186076
You heard Moonchild on the radio?
>>
>>74186040
No I get the album, I really like it.

THAT is the problem, THATS what makes it different than the other /mu/core albums.

>In the Airplane Over the Sea
Dressed up bedroom folk with lyrics that range from gross to nonsensical

>Spiderland
Just some dude whispering into a microphone while the musicians poorly imitate "jazz" and abuse the soft loud dynamic over a handful of super long, repetitive songs

>Hospice
lol

>Madvillainy
LITERALLY just abusing the gimmick over the entire album, it isn't even hidden

Remain in Light is just normal though, I legitimately don't understand. I always thought "/mu/core" was a buzzword applied to universally disliked albums around here.
>>
>>74186122
You're just a total pleb
>>
>>74186122
What's your opinion on King Crimson?
>>
>>74186076
I'm actually a radio DJ

Doesn't get played
Clearchannel prohibits playing it
Doesn't get played
Clearchannel prohibits playing her (no foreign languages on their stations, ie 99% of stations)
Maybe, MAYBE you'll hear the censored version of Creep once a year

However Once in a Lifetime and Burning Down the House both came up on our playlist yesterday.
>>
>>74186148
Probably the second best artist on the /mu/core chart but no where near as accessible as Remain in Light.
>>
>>74186178
What about Radiohead?
>>
>>74186122
>songs are catchy it is a not a masterpiece album!!!
Most listeners don't get really those songs other than the verses. It looks like you'll end up saying The Beatles are bad because of commercial success like that old review guy as well.
>>74186162
I don't know what a shitty country you are in where you can't play anything. I hear them all in mainstream rock channels.
>>
>>74185919
>Buyers Market, Trout Mask Replica
>purposefully difficult
>>
>>74186214
I have repeatedly that I really like the album, and

>Clearchannel

So the United States
>>
>>74186122
>Airplane
>>
File: makeitstop.png (2MB, 1065x902px) Image search: [Google]
makeitstop.png
2MB, 1065x902px
>>74186266
You don't know what a fucking airplane is?
>>
>>74186250
I don't know what you expect from an album then. An album is either good or bad for me, there is no underlying beauty beyond apart from that which you give to it yourself. Remain in Light is an artifice as good as Symphony no. 9 is. One's popularity doesn't really determine its merit either. Many classical composers were like popular popstars in their time and now they are regarded sublime by all critics.
I'd suggest you give RiL a few more active listening sessions with a good audio setup. I can't think of a reason not to love it from start to finish. Talking Heads discography is great overall to be honest.
>>
>>74186396
Its not the album its this board
>>
>everything I don't like or understand surely must only be "enjoyed" by others ironically

goddamn OP, get fucked. let people enjoy things, even if it's /mu/core.
>>
>>74186076
I understand that none of the /mu/core albums are "obscure" but there's a massive difference between a multi-platinum album and an album that happens to be known by a lot of individuals in a particular subculture.

You can't fucking tell me that just as many people have listened to In the Airplane Over the Sea or Merryweather Post Pavilion as Remain in Light.

>>74186486
Again, for the millionth time, I really like this album, it just seems like its a much different flavor than most /mu/core.

Just seems like an odd one out of the bunch in style, reception, and popularity.
>>
>>74185919
>Trout Mask Replica
>difficult
Please cease listening to music
>>
>>74187393
>sexual moaning for 3 minutes of an entire track

come on anon
>>
File: o2axgz161caz.jpg (17KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
o2axgz161caz.jpg
17KB, 600x400px
>>74185919
>MBDTF
>Bad

(C)rap
>>
>>74188357
its not terrible but 808s is better
>>
>>74185862
Because it is.

Stop trying to pidgeonhole what you think /mu/ is. Or even what 4chan is.
>>
>>74188433
Then stop acting the way you do. Its not pigeonholing if it reflects observable behavior.
>>
>>74186035
I legitimately heard AnCo's 'Fireworks' being played on the radio the other day.
>>
>>74186035
mbdtf my dude
>>
File: uhohcomic.png (292KB, 830x848px) Image search: [Google]
uhohcomic.png
292KB, 830x848px
It's filled to the brim with meme material.
>>
>>74186122
>I always thought "/mu/core" was a buzzword applied to universally disliked albums around here.
It's the other way around fucktard
>>
>>74186291
my dude....
>>
>>74188531
Then why does everyone shit on them so much?
>>
>>74188594
people shit on them because a lot of people like them and people that only listen to those albums are seen as having shallow taste.
>>
>>74188594

Do you only read toxic threads where people shit on everything
>>
>>74188594
Because they're easy targets and you'll get lots of replies that way.
Kind of like you're doing right now.
>>
>>74188594
Contrarians, also generally when something is hyped to fuck expectations can't be met.
Although I'd argue you're a fucking megapleb if you hadn't already heard most of the /mu/core albums before coming here, they're not really mutually exclusive to this site, you'll find them in the top of several best album lists.
>>
>>74188617
>>74188620
>>74188628
That's so stupid though, I still don't get it.
>>
>>74188653
If you criticize something well known you'll attract more posters.
>>
>>74188653
loud minority etc etc
>>
>>74188725
When did I ever criticize the album? This entire thread was just me asking why the album was classified the way it is.
>>
>>74185966
>field recordings
>not music
>>
>>74188776
You implicitly criticized all the other /mu/core albums.
>>
>>74188776
he saying that people criticize /mu/core to get replies. he's not attacking you lmao
>>
>>74186214
I refuse to believe that you've heard moonchild on mainstream rock radio

>>74186291
>airplane
>>
>>74188802
Ripping audio from interviews isn't a field recording
>>
>>74188223
uh what track do you speak of?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.