[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck are you expected to make a living from music these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How the fuck are you expected to make a living from music these days? Touring and merch?
>>
>>74171071
This isn't the only form of revenue for artists. You've already mentioned a couple. You don't really expect to make a living off of just music. Those who are fortunate enough to become popular and live off their music are in the minority. A lot of musicians, especially those starting out, need to have a day job to support themselves. They do it for the love of the craft.
>>
>>74171071
Artists have never made that much money from their records. Before streaming, the record companies kept a pretty big percentage of the sales. It's always what you said, touring, merch and other things that gave the artists money.
>>
>>74171200
This. It's why so many musicians were and still are against big labels. You basically earn fuck all with them unless you're an absolute mega star.
>>
Napster is not only still a thing, but has more users than Tidal? What the fuck
>>
>>74171071
Live shows have always been a bigger source of income than retail music sales, but you're not wrong that music sales is getting radically smaller.
>>
>>74171136
this.
i play at local bars but also have two other jobs where i help out in a weed nursery and do lab work to make sure the food you eat isn't going to make you shit blood
>>
You don't. You're lucky if you can make beer money.

>>74171272
Yeah but labels are also largely the only way anyone's going to hear your shit. Music doesn't promote itself.
>>
Stop trying to make money off music. It's not going to happen. It's a hobby.

Get a real job.
>>
>>74171299
TIDAL is new as fuck
Napsters been around so you know it's still going to have a decent amount of users
>>
>>74171568

With access to platforms like Spotify, YouTube and whatever social networks you feel like dealing with, the musicians promote themselves. Plus one can still do the leg work.
>>
>>74173167
Kinda harder when there are more musicians now than ever before vying for the public's attention.
>>
>>74171568
>You don't. You're lucky if you can make beer money.
this is the only reason i play music in public anymore, you play for 30 minutes, get free drinks and dumb drunk college girls trying to flirt with you, then you go home and fuck you gf, then wake up and go to your real job.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.