[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd say rock is pretty much dead. Hip-hop has now over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: JVFeature.png (580KB, 1200x700px) Image search: [Google]
JVFeature.png
580KB, 1200x700px
I'd say rock is pretty much dead.

Hip-hop has now overtaken rock as the most popular genre of music in America.

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/hip-hop-overtakes-rock-as-the-most-popular-genre-in-the-u-s-for-the-first-time-ever

Even the so-called "rock" bands that are active today like 21 Pilots are more electronic than rock. Very few bands with just guitar, bass and drums can draw big crowds nowadays.

Has rock run its course? Is it a "solved genre"? It kinda makes me sad since I always listened to rock music growing up from Green Day to Gorgoroth.

To me, the deaths of Chester Bennington and Chris Cornell signifies the end of an era. I alos now realise that I'm getting old.

Feelsbadman.
>>
>>74144739
the pendulum will swing back. It always does. This hip pop meme has been going on for too long. Even scenesters/hipsters are unironically listening to drake now. The kids listening to it will grow up and younger generations are becoming more conservative and hold culture to higher standards.

Can't be woke and swag in your mid twenties. If you're in a circle that still rewards that behaviour, you've either failed at life, or you're in the music industry and get paid to do it.

It'll swing back, I'm telling you.
>>
>>74144776
it sure swung back for big band huh
>>
>>74144776
It'll swing back just like it swung back for the Great American Songbook.

Oh wait.
>>
Old music will still be there for you to enjoy. Rock has been lacking energy for a while now, I'll welcome anything fresh and innovative over something that isn't.
>>
Rock no longer being part of the zeitgeist doesn't mean good rock can no longer come out. Jazz was no longer part of the zeitgeist when Coltrane came out with A Love Supreme and Country has almost never been part of the overall zeitgeist yet songwriters like Townes Van Zandt have sprung up.
>>
>>74144739
Nothing of value was lost.

Only a matter of time until AC/DC, Motorhead, My Bloody Valented, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the other 3-chord pseudo-intellectual shit bands become relics of the past and eventually forgotten by the public. I say good riddance.
>>
I'm pretty sure hip-hop was more popular than rock among millennials and gen z-ers for quite a while already. I didn't know any "cool" or "popular" kids in high school who listened to rock outside of Nevermind and Guns N Roses.
>>
>>74144827
I, for one, welcome our new mumble rap overlords
>>
>>74144814
>Jazz was no longer part of the zeitgeist when Coltrane came out with A Love Supreme
is this true? i can't imagine jazz not being seen as a major genre in the 60's
>>
>>74144846
Cool kids used to listen to nu-metal and pop punk when I was in high school.
>>
>>74144814

Yup.

Even the most diehard fan of rock is going to concede that the genre has lost pretty much all of its popular appeal. Any bands that do manage to break into the mainstream are but the final death throes before it fades away.

That's not to say that there aren't currently, and that there won't continue to be, talented rock musicians. It's just no longer commonly consumed.
>>
>>74144853
I mean, it was still a major genre for music fans in the same (bare with me) Death Grips has been a major band this decade for the music listening community but it wasn't something that kids were flocking after.
>>
File: asIWFDA.png (498KB, 592x385px) Image search: [Google]
asIWFDA.png
498KB, 592x385px
>>74144862
Come to think of it, the whole emo/screamo scene of the 00's was the last time rock music was considered "cool".
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.