[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come rappers don't know music theory yet have made some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: 1471558421000.jpg (391KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471558421000.jpg
391KB, 1000x1000px
How come rappers don't know music theory yet have made some of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time?
>>
File: larmstrong.jpg (164KB, 780x1088px) Image search: [Google]
larmstrong.jpg
164KB, 780x1088px
>>74138964
How come Lance Armstrong doesn't know physics but can ride a bike really fast?
>>
Because they sample from songs made by people who know about music theory.
>>
File: 1494653649053.png (27KB, 741x609px) Image search: [Google]
1494653649053.png
27KB, 741x609px
>>74139009
>How cum I see when I dunno color theory
>>
>>74139009
hahahaha
>>
>>74139009
Liking this logic
>>
>>74138964
how come buddy rich doesn't know music theory yet is considered the best jazz drummer of all time?
>>
>>74139009
Except being a professional biker, he's probably learned the necessary physics associated with bike riding and possibly other athletic pursuits.
>>
A lot of famous painters and writers didn't study shit about the technique of painting or writing and were still considered geniuses.
Also, most rappers don't produce their own music
>>
>>74139318
>If you ride a bike enough, you can explain the conservation of energy
>>
File: Joe2.jpg (50KB, 530x673px) Image search: [Google]
Joe2.jpg
50KB, 530x673px
>>74138964
How come Joe Meek didn't know music theory yet is considered one of the greatest and most inventive music producers of all time?

I know theory myself and I'll never understand why people look to it for all the answers, or rather sit on /mu/ and posture themselves as above others in light of it -- let alone above artists far more talented and experienced than they themselves could ever be.
>>
>>74138964
They critique culture, not composition.
>>
File: 1496245879879.jpg (48KB, 540x447px) Image search: [Google]
1496245879879.jpg
48KB, 540x447px
>>74139362
this, lance doesn't give a fuck about centripetal force or directional dynamics, he cares about shooting up drugs and not being too self-conscious about his singular nut while fucking tons of whores
>>
>>74139423
Exactly. Just like famous rappers
>>
>>74139362
Yep
>>
File: Beatles.jpg (820KB, 1548x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Beatles.jpg
820KB, 1548x1024px
Yeah when has a popular, acclaimed music act ever gotten away with not knowing music theory?

Never happened once.

Nope. Never.
>>
>>74139513
just my point, same with most douchers with guitars
You don't have to know the inner-workings of your art, but it can certainly help you reach higher heights
>>
music theory doesn't matter that fuckin much lol

plebs think it does
>>
>>74138964
Music is subjective. Therefore Music Theory is pointless trite.
>>
>>74139734
>Math is made up in our heads. Therefore Physics is pointless trite.

I dunno if you know that music isn't entirely subjective
>>
>>74138964
jew critics hate whitey
>>
>>74139819
That was a pretty shitty analogy famlam
And yea, every form of art is subjective
>>
>>74139900
This mentality has to stop. This is because of people like this that art schools are about making papier machés vaginas instead of learning the fundamentals of art.
>>
>>74139972
why is that a bad thing
>>
>>74139972
You're out of your fucking mind if you think art schools aren't teaching fundamentals

Do you just say shit without thinking you flaming retard
>>
>>74140010
People get out of college and wonder why they can't get a job anywhere. The art world is fucked because of this. They literally teach you how to make contacts and get known instead of teaching you basic skills. The craft itself doesn't even matter anymore, it's all about popularity and marketing. They also teach you how to fuck the government so they give you money for your shitty art.

(I'm talking about visual arts in Canada btw, but I can see similar trends in music too.)
>>
>>74140055
I saw a guy entwine a water hose with some Christmas lights and get an A+ because he had a 3 pages explanation to justify his piece. I saw a guy write the '' We are anonymous, We are legion '' quote on a wood panel with his blood and got a decent score because the teacher thought it was ballsy.
>>
>>74139706
it depends. i know there are those out there who are gifted enough to have "it" and not know theory but be great musicians. however, i think its cancerous when others see these people and think that they should AVOID learning music theory. i forgot where i heard this but it should be looked at as a language to better communicate what we mean when talking about music instead of a group of rules all musicians must follow
>>
>>74140248
nah, totally agree with you if i'm being real, my original post was a lil ignorant and not very thought-provoking but i agree with everything you just said.

theory is a great thing to at least understand the very basics of, and certainly is not something anyone should try to avoid, because no matter how you get into creating music, you're going to be relying on the principles of music theory in some way or another

i'm just one of those people who went to school for music (like an idiot,) learned to hate what they were teaching me and became a bit crusty about it. plus it kind of goes both ways, i know plenty of people who went to college for it and know theory like the back of their hand and act very high-and-mighty about it, but couldn't write a good fucking song to save their lives. that shit irks me big time
>>
>>74138964

Because music theory is irrelevant compared to critical acclaim and good marketing.
>>
>>74139033
this
https://youtu.be/nqhyS3X9fO8
>>
>>74138964
Producers really out here saving careers.
>>
>>74139009
cause he cheated

>>74138964
Kanye's a genius, I'm sure he knows some music theory
>>
>>74139033
nothing wrong with sampling
>>
You fuckers don't even know what music theory is. It's not magic sound science. It's just having practical knowledge about how making music works. Justin BIeber knows music theory. The Beatles knew music theory, they played fucking instruments, knowing the names of the strings on a guitar is music theory.
>>
>>74141357
you lost me at "knowing the names of the strings on a guitar is music theory". its not all it is is just as it sounds like, knowing the names of strings
>>
>>74141311
I was just trying to get some (you)s. I love hip-hop. I wish I didn't put this whole genre aside while growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4PXsNe2y2U
>>
File: 2694657639023.jpg (3MB, 4869x4869px) Image search: [Google]
2694657639023.jpg
3MB, 4869x4869px
>>74138964
because they sound good?
>>
>>74139009
asteroids
>>
>>74139009
Doping
>>
>>74138964
Because, like with all art, you don't actually need any formal education.
Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sucker you out of a dollar or is just plain ignorant.
>>
You can tell when someone doesn't actually understand music theory when they act like it's some cool secret knowledge that all the good musicians have. Music theory is just a way of categorizing and explaining things that happen in music in a standardized way. All musicians have their own way of doing this whether they know the official terms or not. You might understand it as "this chord sounds dramatic to me" or you might understand it as "this is a bVI in a major key" but it doesn't matter.
>>
>>74141746
What's your view on objectivity in music? If everyone ends up finding the same patterns on a guitar if they practice enough, theory or not, was is left to judge? Intent?
>>
>>74140158
>i got two anecdotes

cool
>>
>>74141935
>If everyone ends up finding the same patterns on a guitar if they practice enough, theory or not, was is left to judge?
I think you're misunderstanding how music is learned a bit. Musicians learn to make music by imitating other music they like; this has been true since music was a tribal activity passed down solely by ear, up through the great composers like Mozart and Bach who transcribed other pieces and drew heavy inspiration from them, and especially blues and its derivatives. You can't learn something you've never heard, just like you can't learn to speak Russian without ever hearing it. As for trying to be objective about music, I think it's impossible to be fully objective and a reviewer shouldn't strive to be, but looking at things like the intent of the piece would probably be how you'd go about that, yeah.
>>
>>74138964
Some rappers do know music theory. Kanye definitely does.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.