[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it conventional wisdom amongst both the general public,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: John Lennon.jpg (145KB, 980x1471px) Image search: [Google]
John Lennon.jpg
145KB, 980x1471px
Why is it conventional wisdom amongst both the general public, and certainly amongst those in music, that he was the best Beatle?
>>
>>74134745
Did you know that John Lennon beat his wife?
>>
>>74134745
Best at what?
>>
File: FaceApp_1500938971065.jpg (266KB, 852x852px) Image search: [Google]
FaceApp_1500938971065.jpg
266KB, 852x852px
>>74134745
Smile, wife beater!
>>
>>74134763
He beat Yoko? Not enough it seems.
>>
Will you just move the fuck on?
It was 50 goddamn years ago, he's been dead for almost 40. Just move on.
Bunch of fucking idiots.
>>
Founded the group, and until 1966 or so he was both the "leader" and the superior songwriter.
>>
>Lennon was remarkably under-talented. First, he was at best an average guitar player, mostly confined to basic rhythm parts, and his piano playing wasn’t much better. As for his songwriting, yes he did write a handful of truly inspired songs, but as time passes and the nostalgic hype surrounding the Beatles begins to fade, a lot of his works comes off as silly and dated. Try reading the lyrics to “Strawberry Fields Forever” or “Come Together” sometime. They’re pure hippie psychedelic babbling, the kind of thing that passed for profundity in the drug-induced haze of the late 1960s. The only thing that makes them work is the terrific production, for which credit easily goes to producer George Martin and the other Beatles as much as to Lennon himself.

>In fact, looking back on the Beatles legacy, one can make a pretty good case that both Paul McCartney and George Harrison (on the later albums, at least) were superior talents to Lennon in the songwriting department. The truth is, after about 1965, Lennon more or less drops out of the Beatles. He had almost nothing to do with the Sgt. Pepper album, and most of what came after was – by everyone’s admission – largely at the behest of Paul McCartney. By the end, as you can see in the film Let It Be, McCartney was desperately trying to motivate a Lennon who simply didn’t want to be there. As for Lennon’s solo career, there are five or six memorable songs and the rest… Well, can you name a single track from “Sometime in New York City”?
>>
Paul was the best beatle (maybe ringo) but George had the best solo career after the band broke up
>>
/grandpa/ general?
>>
Christgau loves John Lennon solo and hates McCartney and Harrison, he never said that.

Btw I think Paul was the best.
>>
File: macca.jpg (306KB, 1557x1536px) Image search: [Google]
macca.jpg
306KB, 1557x1536px
I like the White album session where John can't even play his own song (Julia) on the guitar, and taskmaster Paul keeps making him do more takes to get it right. To be fair, John probably injured his hand beating Yoko the previous night.
>>
>>74134990
Meant to tag you in >>74135074
>>
>>74134990

I kind of hate this guy for hating Billy Joel with no apparent reasoning but this sums up my feelings about Lennon well

"In My Life" is his best song
>>
>>74134990
>>74135074
>>74135208
The quote is actually from a listverse article, btw.
>>
>>74135080

>natural singer
>natural songwriter
>natural instrumentalist
>good head of hair lasting into old age

I hate this fucker

Nah just kidding I'm just extremely jealous
>>
The wife-beating ended in 1963. It was just emotional abuse from that point on.
>>
>>74134745

I try to just believe that he had a good heart and drugs do fucked up things to otherwise normal people (same with Lou Reed) but maybe some people actually are assholes
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.