[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here likes collecting records not just because of the 'quality'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 1491846761246.png (32KB, 896x994px) Image search: [Google]
1491846761246.png
32KB, 896x994px
Who here likes collecting records not just because of the 'quality' (subjective) but because they like getting old as fuck records, knowing that each one has a little history to them

It's fun
>>
>>74115770
I just think it's cool to have a physical copy of my favorite music. Sometimes I like to imagine the world going to shit and being reduced to subsistence farming, hunting, gathering but still being able to listen trap and cloud rap and edm because I have a record player. I think in a few generations after humanity forgot about modern technology my great great grandson would play the music for roaming bands of savages and they'd be so scared/amazed that they'd make him their warlord. Due to my superior genes he'd recognize this opportunity and use it to conquer the known world and become a god emperor. I also like the higher sound fidelity.
>>
>>74116403
That'd be a pretty cool legacy. I can definitely see it in a mad max- style world, where a warlord with a massive gramophone or something commands berserkers and musicians alike. He owns the only pressing factory, but due to limited resources the only material that can be spared and used for pressings is bone.

They go on hunts in the wasteland looking for prime bones, and while they do they are accompanied by new age wasteland music. The sound of these records is unlike anything from civilisation, and overall, the wasteland's music taste rapidly evolves.

It is considered a great risk to venture out while the hunters are out, but it yields the greater reward of hearing this music

Original vinyl pressings from pre war are only played in ceremony.
>>
I don't think there's anything more pathetic being sentimental over physical media
>>
>>74116403
>>74116471
>thinking hunters won't kill you for your vinyl and then worshipping them as artefacts given by a chosen deity

plebs
>>
some music does sound notably better on vinyl, but even for newer digital music i really only buy vinyl
i like the size and weight of it better, and putting a record on has a sort of deliberate 'ritual' quality to it that's pretty unique. i end up appreciating t more.

and also, like you said, it's nice to have something old with a story, whether you know the story or not
>>
>>74116551
They'll only kill you if you don't tell them about your massive haul of records, and promise to pay them in 7" when you reach there. When they do, they'll realise your potential as a warlord, and will become your protector. The first few years will be tough, and soon you'll lose track of anning but days.

As you walk through the vault while dividing the collection into tenths for quality, you discover an old crank handled gramophone. Ignoring the pertinent question of its origin, you realise this is the perfect way to get your cult to grow.

Also bonus points for musical memorabilia and photos of old music stars that the soldiers are able to style themselves to look like (to the point that some who were born after civilisation fell misunderstand the black and white photos, and go off for days in search of ash and chalk to style themselves perfectly)
>>
>>74116471
Maybe they'd find rabid mutated elephants and ride them in to battle. Then when one fell, they would harvest the tusks to be remade into battle anthems to continue the fight.
>>74116551
>implying you don't tell them you are god
>>
>>74116734
Holy fuck yes. This sounds so good but they need names for everything:
Names needed for
Hunters
Elephants
New type of records
Cult itself
Musicians of the cult
Factor workers who work on pressing
. Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>74116777
We need to get George Miller on the phone.
>>
>>74116818
Do you know his phone number?
>>
>>74115770
I only buy stuff I can't find online.
>>
>>74116854
No the most famous person I've ever met is the guy who hosts a local radio show for my town of 10,000.
Side note: the various musicians would be seem as a pantheon of gods.
The berserker warriors would practice self mutilation and worship GG Allin
The shamans would eat/harvest psychedelic flora and worship the acid rockers like Hendrix
Etc
>>
>>74116977
Nice. Following on from that, what would the warlord himself look like?
>>
Vinyl records are a wanky luxury
>>
>>74117010
I feel like he would have to present himself on a more sophisticated manner. Not fancy like a suit and tie but I don't think war paint and bandanas would fit him as well. Maybe he could wear a full leather outfit with ivory spikes to denote his status.
Also the title muse could be played for those who make the records, play the phonographs, etc
>>
>>74117150
I particularly like the ivory idea; what makes the warlords in the mad max universe (at least in e most recent addition) seem powerful is the fact that they over-use something there is a shortage of, such as fuel or bullets. In the same vein, perhaps on the suit the stickers from classic records could be stuck on, but maybe that would look tacky.

I like the muse idea, and I think it fits the musicians more than the factory workers. Considering they'd be overseeing both the recording of the new records and the pressing of copies of them perhaps a name related to needles?
>>
>>74117221
I agree about the muse names and label stickers. I don't think it would look too tacky if done tastefully. After all that society would probably view those as relics.
What would the music sound like? There's the obvious route of it being loud and percussive with screaming vocals to reflect their warlike society. That might work for scenes where they are hunting going to war but what about the everyday ceremonies? I think making a slower, rythmic, song that incorporates things like the sound of bones clanking together could produce a chilling effect.
>>
>>74117040
yeah. they were briefly cool years ago
>>
>>74117460
Hunt music would probably be Lou dang violent, but not so loud that the followers of the warlord would go deaf, and also not so violent that people not of e cult would run away. Part of the music's aim would be to try and attract prey.

I can totally imagine ambient / spooky music being used in ceremonies, but there'd be no limit on style. Obviously it would depend on what records were kept from pre war, but after a few years of constant evolution of sound there'd be such a difference it'd be hard to put the new age of music into genres at all
>>
>>74117557
I really love the idea of using the music to lure prey. Would they have ready access to pre apocalypse instruments? Or would they have to make their own?
>>
>>74117766
I imagine most pre war instruments would be kept for high priests or whatever, so they'd have to make do with scrap metal and human hair, that kind of thing.
>>
>>74118080
Good idea. Also incorporates a class system.
This might also make a good graphic novel but you wouldn't be able to hear the music, so I think you'd be missing a key element.
>>
>>74118197
Unfortunately yeah. I'd love to see this as a real thing.
>>
I love this thread

Also, anyone else around here collect CDs in massive quantities rather than vinyl?
>>
>>74118279
I've started recently yeah. I've just filled up two of the compartments of my 8 compartment shelves. Not big ones but still I'm happy

Also thanks I like this thread too
>>
>>74118279
I don't but I'm thinking about it, it's way more convenient
>>
>>74118487
You should it's good fun and liner notes are great
>>
>>74118279
CDs are fun because they're usually not overpriced to shit.
>>
>>74119964
Right, I often walk out of thrift stores or used bookstores with bags of them
Even at real record stores, they're usually <$5 apiece
>>
>>74119988
How old are the cds you're getting? In Britain ones from the last two decades are around ten pounds still
>>
File: R-10493128-1498609758-1924.jpeg.jpg (90KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
R-10493128-1498609758-1924.jpeg.jpg
90KB, 600x597px
lucked into finding originals of eye in the sky and pyramid at the local record store a few days ago and passed up pic related. started regretting not getting it when i got home after realzing that they were probably all traded in together or belonged to the same person originally. i didn't get it because i personally don't care too much for that album but should I go back and pick it up anyway if its still there?
>>
File: what's a black beatle anway.png (371KB, 1320x497px) Image search: [Google]
what's a black beatle anway.png
371KB, 1320x497px
>>74115770
Why? they deteriorate, keep the memory in your head.
>>
>>74116551
"this was a relic passed down by the old ones to preserve the beliefs of our people, sacred hymns ascribed to us from the gods dean and gene"
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.