[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to learn how to play the piano but since that's unreasonable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Keyboard-instruments1.jpg (15KB, 300x191px) Image search: [Google]
Keyboard-instruments1.jpg
15KB, 300x191px
I want to learn how to play the piano but since that's unreasonable a keyboard seems like a better option in every way for someone like me who has no music playing, reading, or any experience. I've been looking at them online with a budget of $150 since I dont know how I'll be into it and if I'll actually commit to it but I still want to try.

I've been through the fat but the keyboard stuff is outdated. Is there a standard go to, retard proof press buttons for fun noise while being inexpensive starter kit?
>>
>>74101961
If you truly want to learn piano, you're going to need a keyboard with weighted keys, which is more expensive.
The cheap non-weighted ones are fine for making bleep bloops but not for piano playing.
>>
>>74101983
I just like the piano and how it sounds but for someone who has no experience a keyboard just seems alot more convenient cause I'm not in a position to take lessons or have one. Keyboards are relatively cheap, compact, and have a wide variety of options and sounds. It seems like a better starting place
>>
>>74102020

Just go to sweetwater, musiciansfriend or any other common website, search keyboards by "most popular" or "highest rated" and just search around. You're not really in a position to ask for advice outside what you'll find there.
>>
>>74101961
>>74102020
The keyboard itself doesn't need sounds in it, you can get the sounds from a DAW. You can just get a MIDI controller keyboard rather than those keyboards with shitty preset sounds built into them.
>>
>>74102075

This. I made the assumption you knew to get a MIDI keyboard, but I was probably wrong. Get a MIDI keyboard for now; at least you'll be able to get a lot of other sounds from it and experiment around with making music.
>>
>>74102064
That's what i was doing, just wanted to double check before I bought anything

>>74102075
How easy is that to set up? I'm not technologically retarded in anyway but just want to make sure it's not gonna be an arduous task. Are Midi boards cost effect compared to a keyboard?
>>
>>74101961
I'm like you, but really you need the weighted keys of you want to play PIANO. if you just wanna do drumloops and fuck around with a midi library a keyboard is alright, but honestly you're better off saving some money and getting a digital piano like the Yamaha P71. Amazon sells em for $400 which is about as cheap as you're gonna get for a real piano feel.

I'm saving money for my first instrument to gift myself this Christmas and I'm not sure if I want to start with piano or get an acoustic guitar. either way, don't cheap out on your first instrument. obviously don't go balls-out, but you gotta be reasonably serious about your investment because it'll only help you stay committed. it's harder to ignore the item in your room that cost hundreds of dollars vs. the discount bullshit you settled for
>>
>>74102115

It depends on what you're overall goal is. You'll need something to plug the actual MIDI keyboard into like an Audio Interface (search Scarlett 2i2 and such). This will rack up the costs quite quickly but you'll get a much more array of sounds and such available to you. If you really can't invest in both, then just get a standard keyboard. Eventually, you'll probably want to plug into a computer anyway so you'll have to rebuy a MIDI keyboard + AI (audio interface)
>>
>>74102140

Forgot to add: If your goal is to play piano and that's it, then you'll just want a regular piano with weighted keys. At that point it might cost more than an AI + MIDI keyboard anyway.
>>
>>74102134
Agreed. If you're committed to learning then atleast get a mid tier instrument.
>>
>>74102140
That sounds like something I would want. I got a shitty laptop right now but thats all in terms of stuff I could use with it
>>
>>74102115
>How easy is that to set up?
Basically just installing a DAW like FL studio, Ableton, Logic, Reason, etc. and plugging the MIDI keyboard in via USB cable, it's easy as fuck.
>Are Midi boards cost effect compared to a keyboard?
I think so, they have no sounds in them and you can't play them unless they're hooked up to a DAW so I think they have less technology in them. I'm sure you could find prices on line. Pretty sure they're cheaper than regular Keyboards
If you just want to play keys live just plugged into a power outlet or speaker using it's own sound, then get a keyboard, if you want better sounds and recording ability for a cheaper price while also requiring the use of a computer and some software, then get a MIDI controller.
>>
>>74102214
Well after looking for a bit the Akai mpk mini mkii seems like a decent deal for what I'm look for. It has a wide variety of stuff and is cheap. Build quality seem like it would be plastic shit that is easy to break but im not violent with my stuff. Any reason why I shouldn't buy it in the near future?
>>
>>74102435

That's fine but keep two things in mind: You need an Audio Interface, and you're not going to be learning how to play on a full range keyboard. This will stunt your growth as a keyboard player but overall you'll accelerate quickly as a songwriter in general if you're focused. Lastly, you can pirate any DAW you want but if you want something "free" (think winrar free) but still very much professional, download Reaper as your DAW. Your chain will look like this: Keyboard --> AI via MIDI wire --> PC via USB --> DAW. You can simply youtube how to make a midi keyboard connect properly on youtube--takes 2 seconds. Next step is to look at plugins (they are generally called VST plugins on Windows) you can use to get all sorts of different sounds--including drumkits--from your keyboard in your DAW. There are free and paid versions. Find out where to get free vst's or do what most of us do and just pirate shit.
>>
>>74102584
thank you. I will, appreciate it
>>
just want to chime in here,

regarding needing an audio interface

that depends on what midi keyboard controller OP buys

most new midi controller keyboards output midi data through USB so OP should be fine connecting a midi controller that has usb midi out into the usb of a laptop or desktop
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.