[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

They were a Korn tier band and people would only talk about them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7

File: MAR-17-NIRV.jpg (235KB, 1500x841px) Image search: [Google]
MAR-17-NIRV.jpg
235KB, 1500x841px
They were a Korn tier band and people would only talk about them as much as Korn if not less if Kurt Cobain didn't kill himself at a time when they were dominating the top 40 charts.
>>
I doubt it. They were THE band of gen x. Bob Dylan was called the voice of his generation, and people still give a fuck about him over 50 years later. The suicide certainly romanticized the whole thing, but he had already made his impact.
>>
Oh look, another shitpost downplaying a band's success. Success really does bring out jealousy.

>>74060766
Pretty much this.
>>
not true at all lmao
>>
>>74060704
To be honest with you Nirvana is not really talked about that much in the real world. People know the myth, but only Smells Like Teen Spirit (#6) and Come as You Are (#32) entered the top 40. To the average person, they were just another passing phenomenon. You might hear Come as You Are at a baseball game and sing along to it, to which Kurt rolls in his grave if he was buried.
>>
>>74060943
There's still tons of merchandise with their logo, if that counts for anything.
>>
>>74060971
It's really sad that they became a t-shirt band.
>>
>>74060704
Nirvana doesn't sound nearly as angsty as Korn.
>>
They simply didn't last long enough to sellout.
>>
>>74060766
Do you know how big Linkin park was in the early 2000s at all?
>>
>>74061038
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.

-someone from batman IDFK
>>
>>74060889
How is this not true?
>>
>>74061060
Do you know how big Nirvana was in the early 1990s at all?
>>
>>74061153
Yeah, as big as Linkin park was in the early 2000s when you were in diapers.
>>
>>74060766
Besides (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Radiohead and some rappers) Gen X had shitty music

There I said it.
>>
>>74061225
ad hominem. And anyways, this thread was comparing Nirvana to Korn, not Linkin Park. And who still fondly remembers nu metal today? It's considered cringe worthy and 'crawling in my skin' is a phrase often used jokingly referring to edginess. Nirvana has a shelf life and is still fondly remembered, or at least known to a lot of people. Linking Park just made a impact because a lot of people grew up with their music and connected with the angst and emotion expressed in it. And there is nothing wrong with that. Music taste is subjective after all.
>>
>>74061301
What about Alice in Chains?
>>
>>74061335
They have their shelf life because Kurt Cobain killed himself when the band was in it's prime.
>>
>>74061335
>Linking Park just made a impact because a lot of people grew up with their music and connected with the angst and emotion expressed in it.

So exactly the reason Nirvana made an impact?
>>
>>74060943
>People know the myth, but only Smells Like Teen Spirit (#6) and Come as You Are (#32) entered the top 40

Ok, so what?
Most people on the planet literally only know "Creep" when talking about Radiohead.
Most people will always only know the big hits.
>>
Most people think of The Beatles as Hey Jude, Let It Be or I Saw Her Standing There.
>>
>>74061408
Yes, but they didn't connect with the next generation of music listeners as well as Nirvana did. I'm not trying to tell you they are bad or anything, just like whatever you want. Nu Metal received a huge backlash after it's prime, so time will tell if it's ever respected again.

>>74061397
Not true, but I feel like you are too stuck in your ways to be debated with. People still buy Bob Dylan albums, especially his classic ones, even though he has gone well past his prime. Good music is good music and that always attracts music fans.
>>
>>74061301
>Primus
>Big 4 of grunge
>Aphex Twin
>Bjork
>Days of the New
>Melvins
>a lot of the hip hop
>Stone Temple Pilots
stuff here are acceptable
>Nine inch Nails
>Rage against the Machine
>Red Hot Chili Peppers
>>
>>74060704
>dominating the top 40 charts.
Daily reminder than Nirvana never had a no 1 single and only had 2 top 40 hits
Daily Reminder MC Hammer had 5 top 10 hits, 2 of them charting higher than Nirvana's highest charting single.
>>
>>74061153
Linkin Park was bigger than Nirvana at their prime
>>
>>74061505
Nirvana was just average music that got remembered and over glorified because of a suicide though.

Then it was discovered by hipsters that were not even born when Cobain died because over all the people who glorified it.
>>
>>74061542
Exactly, but you don't see new people getting into Linkin Park. It's the people who grew up with it that love it.
>>
>>74061577
That will start changing soon.
>>
>>74061577
Maybe you will now that he killed himself.
Maybe if we get a bunch of memeumentaries telling us that Linkin Park was the Voice of a Generation™ and the GOAT
>>
>>74061545
Music taste is subjective, so If it's average to you, it might not be to others. The mystique and romance due to the suicide probably did over glorify them, but they were already legends before the suicide. People remember bands that had a huge effect on popular music, like The Beatles, Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, etc. They ushered in alternative rock to the mainstream, making them a seminal act.
>>
>>74061597
You're probably right. It really does sicken me when people get into 'tragic figures' just to seem deep or be trendy. It happened to the singer/songwriter Nick Drake, which makes me sad. It really is terrible that Chester killed himself. Maybe people will give Nu Metal another chance now, but it's sad an event like this had to happen for that.
>>
>>74061616
Nah, I never really liked Linkin Park. A lot of people do refer to Cobain as the 'Voice of a Generation' because he was marketed as that. Sorry if I came off the wrong way because of that. But Cobain was labelled that during his lifetime, not in retrospect.
>>
>>74061616
You mean like what happened with Nirvana?
>>
>>74061345
Yes they are good too.
>>
>>74061720
>Cobain was labelled that during his lifetime, not in retrospect.
Does it make a difference? Probably not.
>>74061746
Precisely famalam
>>
>>74061507
Imo I wouldn't consider hip hop to be the main thing of the 90s just because everyone raves about Biggie and 2pac. I find it kind of overrated actually. I prefer the rap from the 80s and 21st century.
>>
>>74061720
Are you fucking serious hipster?
>>
>>74061746
Pretty much. Only difference is that Nirvana was good and big, while Linkin Park was basically the flavor of the summer.
>>
>>74061789
I was thinking more of Digable Planets or Wu Tang related shit. Dr. Dre. Ice Cube actually had some pretty good records, too.
>>
>>74061803
>Nirvana was good
says you, pleb
>>
>>74061803
Wrong.

I can tell you are young just from this post.
>>
>>74061767
I guess not. It all comes down to marketing and music taste I guess. Sorry if I come off fanboyish, but I grew up with stuff like Nirvana and I really like seeing a new generation of people respect and get into them. They really id change the music landscape for a little while. I didn't like Nu Metal all that much, but I'm not knocking it because it means a lot to the people who grew up with it.
>>
>>74061427
I said this because the original post said "dominating the top 40 charts."
>>
>>74061891
I grew up with stuff like Nirvana

No, you didn't you internet lying post 95 baby.
>>
>>74061843
Nope. If I was young, I would be saying Linkin Park is good.
>>
>>74061954
ad hominem
>>
>>74061965
People who listened to linkin park as teenagers are 25-30 now,
>>
Why are people so fucking angry at each other in this thread? Both deaths are a tragedy, so who cares who is more popular? Regular /mu/ is autistic, but this is a bit much. Are most of you cross boarders?
>>
>>74060766

>They were THE band of gen x

Gen X spans about 15 years, and there was a lot of great music produced during that time. I like Nirvana, but grunge was just a blip on the radar in the overall scheme of things. I wouldn't say he was the voice of my generation.
>>
>>74062183

Hipster meme that stemmed from his early death in the prime of his career
>>
>>74062183
This is a good point. It's all the media over hyping shit. Nirvana's breakout success probably surprised people and music journo's called Cobain that.
>>
>>74062183
R.E.M.
>>
>>74062238
Michael Stipe is too good for this world
>>
>>74062214
Yeah but people were calling Cobain that before he died. Gen X just wanted a Bob Dylan or John Lennon like musical figure so they ate it up and went along with it. His early death just certified that and allowed him to be marketed well past grunge's relevancy.
>>
>>74062337
citation needed.
>>
>>74062337
But why him and not MJ or Madonna or Axl Rose or Bon Jovi or one of the many more successful songwriters?
How big a hand do you think David Geffen had in creating this meme? He was a very powerful man at the time.
>>
>>74062268
Too bad he's the only one of himself/Buck/Mills who's not really doing anything post-breakup.
>>
>>74062450
They didn't suicide.
>>
>>74060766
Except Bob Dylan did something worthwhile and is worth remembering.
>>
>>74061789
this, the 90's was shit except for the east coast which is what people praise it for.

90's for the South was GOAT though
>>
>>74062450
Geffen is one of the less shitty execs out there, he usually didn't engage in that kind of exploitation.
>>
>>74062514
>he usually didn't engage in that kind of exploitation
Not that you knew of
>He just happened to sign the biggest artists of the 80's and 90's by being totally straight
(no pun intended)
>>
I don't know how it is possible for people to deny that Nirvana was teen angst music for the early 90's.

I mean just listen to the title
>Smells like teen spirit

say that to yourself five times and tell me..

The title doesn't come off a bit like

>I made an angsty song for you fellow teens.
>>
>>74062545
That was kind of the joke, I think. When they played it like Kurt would often botch it intentionally.
>>
>>74062545
That and a line in an In Utero track are the only things that mention teenage shit. The only reason it got this rep is marketing.
>>
>>74062562
>everything is irony so i don't have to take any criticism
when will this meme end?
Is this a numale thing? Fear of people disagreeing with you, so if everything is ironic then you can be assured that you're never wrong?
>>
File: LayneStaley.jpg (33KB, 346x500px) Image search: [Google]
LayneStaley.jpg
33KB, 346x500px
How about some love for Layne?
>>
>>74062545
The song was called that because a friend made a passing comment that Cobain smelled like Teenage Spirit....which was a brand of deodorant at the time.
>>
>>74062574
>The only reason it got this rep is marketing.
Or that his biggest hit was about teens and his entire fanbase were teens
NO RECESS!!!!
>>
>>74062574
It's literally teen angst music.

How can you think it's not?
>>
>>74062597
Everyone knows this and it's not the point of the post.
Doesn't matter if whats-her-face said that to him, he thought it sounded like a teenage anthem, and he used it as such, he didn't have to use it, but he did.
>>
>>74062602
That wasn't about teens. It was about when he was a janitor at his old high school.
>>
>>74062597
Kathleen Hanna of the band Bikini Kill. She wrote it on the wall because the girl Kurt was banging used Teen Spirit deodorant. Apparently he didn't know about the deodorant and loved the phrase because it seemed like an anthem. He also had some weird obsession with the sense of smell.
>>
>>74062591
Based Layne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLwuTpXmHE
>>
>>74062597
Still doesn't change the fact that it's basically called

>how do you do my fellow teens
>>
>>74062624
He used it because it sounds interesting, that doesn't automatically mean he was pandering to a teenage market.

I actually agree that in general Nirvana was marketed to teenagers, but I don't agree with your that song being the penultimate example.
>>
>>74062627
>implying janitors get recess off
lmao. Imagine the janitor having lunch with the kids.
>>
>>74062655
Are you baiting?
No recess. No. Recess.
You have to be baiting.
>>
>>74062587
Well, you don't have to take my word for it. You can listen to them play it live and hear for yourself how seriously he took the song, and maybe read some anecdotes about its genesis.
>>
>>74062665
>wont you believe it
>just my luck
Why would he complain if he knew the conditions of the job prior to taking the job?
He would get breaks, just not recess with the rest of the kids.
Fuck this guy. I wouldn't hire him.
>>
>>74062597

>tfw you used to run out of Speedstick, so you use your sister's Teen Spirit antiperspirant when getting ready for school
>>
>>74060704
Nirvana was selling out shows here in Portland and Corn with a "K" was giving out free cd's at Tower. Counter top standee and all. Your knowledge about this topic is beyond retarded. Please stop posting about things you obviously know nothing about.
>>
>>74062668
His recording of the song was serious. That's what lasts.
>>
>>74062692
>Nirvana was successful first so they're better and not similar at all in terms of popularity or fanbase
really nigga?
>>
>>74062696
based on what reasoning/evidence, thinking the song title sounds pretentious? it was a throwaway title based on nonsense someone yelled at him
>>
>>74062682
Because no one takes a job as a janitor and thinks: Gee, I'm such a lucky guy.
It's his way of expressing that he was down on his luck.

He said no recess, not no breaks. He's also making a song. "You're in highschool again, no recess" sounds better in a song than: "I'm a janitor at my old highschool"
>>
>>74062737
>based on what reasoning/evidence
that the recording was made and the performance done well and with sincerity?
The opposite of these performances that makes you think it's ironic. Why isn't it recorded out of tune? Why didn't he sing it on record like he did on Top of the Pops?
The title doesn't sound pretentious, it just attempts to sum up the topic and target audience of the song; Teeeeeeeeeens.
>>
>>74062710
Nirvana started filling bigger venues because they kept selling out the smaller clubs and kept growing. The first time I saw Korn was on their first tour and it was going so badly that the show I went to was free because the venue (LaLuna), was going to be vacant if they didn't give away tickets. Money was clearly invested in their success and giving away a string of shows was better business that having a failed artist. Yes, oldfag here and I saw them both at the early stages of their career and the comparison is ridiculous. The energy at the early Korn shows felt completely manufactured. I have no idea If that changed later on, but the first impression was corporate driven shit.
>>
>>74062860
You can't get your shit released on major labels sounding like crap unless you're basically already a superstar and can convince your distributors that you deserve free will. Nevermind was Nirvana's first album with Universal, so Butch Vig glossed the fuck out of it. But go back and listen to Bleach which was on Sub Pop before they sold out to Warner, and that's a murky album. Then listen to In Utero, made after they struck it rich, and they were allowed to make dissonant noise.
>>
>>74060704
Oh yes, I'm sure Kurt Cobain definitely "killed himself", without a doubt.
>>
>>74062888
What is the point of this post?
You're subjectively comparing two artists at different stages in their career like it means something.
I don't know what you want.
>>
>>74062947
>You can't get your shit released on major labels sounding like crap unless you're basically already a superstar and can convince your distributors that you deserve free will
Ahh, they're careerists. Just as I thought.
>>
>>74062981
I think maybe you have a bit of confirmation bias going on.
>>
>>74060704
No, because they're music is actually good. Kurt was great vocalist, lyricist, and rhythm player. Plus he was indirectly one of the greatest guitar teachers who ever lived because Nirvana songs are both interesting and easy to learn for kids picking up the guitar. Almost every guitar teacher in America will hand out chords to About A Grill or Smells Like Teen Spirit to beginner students at some point in their learning program.
>>
>>74061335
>o edginess. Nirvana has a shelf life and is still fondly remembered, or at least known to a lot of people. Linking Park just made a impact because a lot of people grew up with their music and connected with the angst and emotion expressed in it. And there is nothing wrong with that. Music taste is subjective after all.
Nobody listened to hybrid theory cause of the music? Pretty sure I never gaf about the edgy lyrics.
>>
File: 86116-At-Least-You-Tried.png (203KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
86116-At-Least-You-Tried.png
203KB, 500x371px
>>74063011
>they're
>>
They were shit but he did write interesting lyrics, much better than Korn or Linkin Park or even Soundgarden.
>>
>>74063518
I'm drunk, forgive me.
>>
>>74062692
Every teenager used to write open all over their school books, on their back packs and bathroom walls. I remember... I was actually there at the time.
>>
>>74062971
It means he is dumb.
>>
>>74063011
You're saying this because of the social impact his death has. You may not be aware of it but you are.
>>
>>74064423
Used to write korn not open. Autocorrect.
>>
>>74060971
It's mainly for the angsty kids in middle school who want to differentiate themselves from their peers.

Though this was when I was in middle school in the early-mid 00s.
>>
>>74063011
Yes slowing down "More than a Feeling" is such a great talent.
>>
>>74060704
what do you get out of making this weird narratives? they were huge before kurt died, bigger than korn ever were and reached more people because they weren't associated with metal
>>
>>74061070
Shutter island
>>
File: johnmaus.png (153KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
johnmaus.png
153KB, 500x377px
When Nirvana came out, every serious music fan that was older than age 20 saw them as the second coming of shitty arena rock bands that they were. They brought absolutely nothing new to popular music
>>
>>74065051
Source?
Because for the most part, when they were an underground band, they were seen as the best band of the Seattle scene. Also bands like Sonic Youth (that were trying to break into the mainstream), have fondness over the band.
>>
>>74064626
Korn was huge and yet they faded into obscurity. There is only one reason Nirvana stayed reagent and that was Kurt contains death and the hype, publicity and emotional energy they got from the event.
>>
>>74065192
I wonder if that fondness could be due to... Kurt contains death and how the band became a meme because of it...
>>
BOOM NAH NEE NAH, BOOM BOOM NAH NEE NAH
>>
Nirvana was a good band, they wrote some decent pop hooks and had strong cultural relevancy in their time and afterwards.

Also the foundation of modern "indie" music is thanks to Cobain whether it was through his own promotion of bands which received popularity boosts as a result (Dinosaur Jr, Melvins, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney), or it was the wealth of young musicians that picked up a guitar or another instrument because of Nirvana.

The fact is: you wouldn't be listening to bands like the Melvins, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, or anyone else if it wasn't for Cobain first promoting them in interviews and in the public.
>>
File: Average4ChanUser.gif (817KB, 326x300px) Image search: [Google]
Average4ChanUser.gif
817KB, 326x300px
>>74066189
>Kurt contains
>>
>>74061225
>>74061542
oh god
>>
File: tumblr_my8qsh7wv31ql8idao1_400.gif (985KB, 383x372px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_my8qsh7wv31ql8idao1_400.gif
985KB, 383x372px
Eh, not really, they were okay, I still don't have the balls to give Korn an actual listen because I dunno, doesn't resonate with me, and the Korn formula is much more unappealing to me than the Nirvana one.
At the end of the day, they were one of the first "non-macho" bands that were subjected to THAT sort of level of attention, which ultimately led to Kurt blowing out his brains, which is a shame, dude was a pretty decent guy, but obviously damaged.
I must admit that it took me time to cope with the fact that they made some worthwhile music, simply because of the fact that I despise their idiotic fanbase, which led me to ignore their music.
All in all, decent band, don't miss out on it, wish Kurt was alive so we could give him more shit, I'd love to see how his twitter would look like.
>>
>>74066430
Stop believe memes you young fucktard.

I bet if 21 pilots do a few more albums and then one suicides they would be forever remembered.
>>
>>74061545
I've said this on this board before. Death/mystery means absolutely nothing to me in context of music. Being missing didn't make Manic Street Preachers good, I still think they're shit. Ian Curtis dying didn't make Joy Division's music any better. I've never really got into Janis Joplin. I never really got into Queen. The world only cared slightly more about Sublime after Bradley died. No one gives a fuck about Blind Melon.

The reason Nirvana has staying power is because of multiple factors including Kurt's death. The logo is super brand-able, and they had a cool image. If Kurt didn't die they'd be remembered as a good 90s band like the other grunge outfits. But, the real thing it comes from is the music. I know all you contrarians don't wanna hear it, but it's true. The reason Nirvana continues to be talked about to this day is because of the music. It's the same thing with Zeppelin and Floyd, even though lesser members died their staying power is mostly due to their music. Kurt is in that league with Jimi and Jim Morrison. Died at their peak and they had good music you can delve further into. If Jim didn't die the Doors would still be good. If Jimi didn't die his guitar playing would still be revolutionary. If Kurt didn't die his songwriting would still be excellent. It's just what it is.
>>
>>74061441
Not really true, beatles are one of the few really popular bands to be thought of as an "album" group, same goes with pink floyd
>>
>>74067102
You are really comparing Nirvana to Flloyd?

The difference between bands like the doors and nirvana is that the doors stuck around for ages before.

Can you really not see how his death would help the band popularity?
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.