[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were Gen Xers and early millennials so much more angsty than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

Why were Gen Xers and early millennials so much more angsty than earlier generations when it came to music?
>>
a tough brute will get the wife
>>
expressing emotion wasn't seen as feminine anymore i guess
>>
constantly had to deal with psychological projection from baby boomers who saw the worst aspects of themselves in us as adolescents and couldn't stand it
>>
>>74032284
where were you while we were getting high?
>>
fucking dickhead poofy students listening to blur innit
>>
>>74032374

ASPARAGUS FAMOSA!
>>
We were a free generation, still enslaved.

https://vimeo.com/3554226
>>
>>74032395
mark romanek is a fucking genius
>>
>>74032284
Because they were raised by hippie beatnik boomers who made them think they were 'special and unique' when they really aren't.
>>
>>74032935
This. There may have never been a generation in all of human history more buried up their own asshole.
>>
>>74032935
god you faggots are gay
>>
>>74032971
wow.
thats a pretty gay thing to say.
>>
File: 1499668374386.jpg (148KB, 1267x733px) Image search: [Google]
1499668374386.jpg
148KB, 1267x733px
Who did the 90s better?
>>
>>74033929
Statham > Grunge
>>
>>74033929
rave was already dead in the 90s
>>
File: fig-si-05.png (6KB, 461x267px) Image search: [Google]
fig-si-05.png
6KB, 461x267px
Baby Boomers divorce at rates previously unseen in American (and probably World) history. See pic.

Gen-Xers were also the first generation to be raised in household where both parents worked, which prompted the "latchkey kid" phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchkey_kid

Combine that with chronic boredom and copious amounts of aggressive hard rock and heavy metal (all the "angsty" 90's musicians grew up on Black Sabbath, Kiss, Priest, Iron Maiden, etc) and you get angst.

Probably the best movie ever made about Gen-Xers. Good soundtrack, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wDyUU1-oek
>>
Gen Xers were a generation where you'd often have far more dysfunctional families than any other before. It was even called "the latchkey generation" at one point. With this higher freedom, their emotional development is very independent from others in a sense. They grew up in a world where there was a desillusion towards government, many economic crashes and later in the peak liberalism of the 80s.

They were very rarely raised by helicopter parents, unlike the great majority of Millenials. The trade off for such an independence came in the form of having to deal with a boatload of emotion pretty much by yourself and with maybe some of your peers. Music is a great outlet. People like to have their emotions expressed by that. Think Radiohead, Nirvana, hell, most of the 90s rock scene would count, and so would the hip hop of that era, especially for a different demographic.

It's a very troubled generation in its history. It's already showing waves of that in the 80s - look at The Breakfast Club and other John Hughes movies. Art, especially music, was their outlet.

Interestingly enough, however filled with angst their songs were, they have shown to be so far the most stable, economically successful and emotionally satisfied generation so far and employing vastly different parenting methods (which are arguably more effective) to the baby boomers who preceeded them. I reckon they were onto something.
>>
>>74033929
I know it's a bait pic but there was plenty of American trip-hop, and for what it's worth fucking Bush are English
>>
>>74034147
>They were very rarely raised by helicopter parents

Yep. Not sure where the one poster got the idea that Boomer parents of Gen-Xers imparted "special snowflake" status onto their kids. They were too busy working and trying to keep up during the 80's rat-race.

But, yes, Boomers did eventually turn into helicopter parents, but it was a method more used toward their Millennial kids than their Gen-X kids.

I don't blame them, either. Boomer parents saw first hand who were succeeding in 80's Corporate America (college grads, socially sophisticated people with connections [thus the reason for all the extracurriculars], etc) and were just trying to give their children an advantage and maybe make up for not being there for their older Gen-X children..
>>
>>74034251
Gen X is pretty much the one that would never would have become special snowflakes, honestly.
>>
>>74032284
NOW THAT YOU'RE MINE, WE'LL FIND A WAY OF CHASING THE SUN
>>
>>74033119
>>74033127
Did we strike a nerve? It's okay, it's not your fault, you can open up.
>>
White guilt
>>
>>74032935
And when they discovered this they instead met the world with a ironic and sardonic attitude. So the authors, musicians and artists millennials listened to sold us that nothing matters and that everything is ironic.

I'd say X'ers have fucked up millennials more than boomers have. Which is why I hate gen x'ers.
>>
>>74034120
lol
nice 'science'
>>
Gen X here

We were off our tits on E, no angst at all
>>
>>74034712
god you people are dumb
>>
>>74032284
Absent parents and all the bullshit surrounding them.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.