[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Musicians of /mu/ who have achieved any amount of success, do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: iq4sh03q8t6z.jpg (160KB, 2208x1242px) Image search: [Google]
iq4sh03q8t6z.jpg
160KB, 2208x1242px
Musicians of /mu/ who have achieved any amount of success, do you have any tips for self promotion, networking, or any other useful information?

Traditional methods of self promotion seem to do nothing if you're not already established
>>
>>74031059
just be good and unique
>>
>>74031059
>Musicians of /mu/ who have achieved any amount of success
kek
>>
File: images (12).jpg (6KB, 203x248px) Image search: [Google]
images (12).jpg
6KB, 203x248px
>>74031446
Oh hell yea, never knew it was that eazy
>>
I'm pretty active in the music community around my city. Im not well-known or anything but I think it really comes down to playing out as much as possible. Make a setlist and play that at every place near you
>>
>>74031446
No one's going to hear it unless you funnel them to your shit. You don't blow up just by being good. Don't pretend music is a meritocracy. It isn't.
>>
>>74031446
>>74031469
>>74031999
>played in a few local bands
>college town so people come and go
>have one really shitty band
>guys in it suck
>only the bassist is good
>"hey anon I'd totally be interested in doing a project with you"
now he lives in la doing music for tv or some bullshit, that was 2 years ago, and i still haven't gotten a call or anything.
lately these days all i do is dink, sometimes ill fill in for bass or keys when bands play bars for the ffree drunk.
>>
>>74032308
It makes me sorta nervous when I almost get in touch with someone more established than I am. I look at who's buying shit from me on bandcamp or subscribing on youtube. Some of them are fairly high profile, either with production credits on popular albums, or working at important companies, affiliated with universities, etc. I dunno if I should try to get in touch and start brown nosing or not.
>>
>>74032332
rub shoulders as you can, or end up like me with a boring day job and too many excuses to get drunk for free.
my life isn't bad, my job pays well and i got a fiance, but i'll never really be able to make music anything more than a hobby, which makes all this practice and song writing seem pointless.
>>
>>74031059
How did he take that picture?
>>
>>74032365
Well realistically I'd have to move for something cool to happen. And I don't think I'd want to try to make a living off of music anyway (I mean the music part is fine but everything else is bullshit). It's kinda more that I'd want to land a job at a cool company.
>>
>>74032401
magic, obviously
>>
>>74031059
go to university, go to composition workshops, play shows, meet performers, meet people who need music like artists who may need music for their exhibition openings. Network irl. It is the only way.
>>
>>74032406
>Well realistically I'd have to move for something cool to happen.
i had to move from a cool music scene (oakland), to a shit music scene to be closer to my job and girlfriend at the time, and honestly nothing was different for me personally, sure i wasn't around as many musicians, and the scene here isn't nearly as good, but having lived in portland and seattle, its mostly image based in my experience, or having friends who'll pack the bar for you. sure you might have a better chance of getting noticed in a good music scene, but making good music is hardly what'll get you noticed.
these days, on the off chance my buddy calls me to fill in, its far more chill and the drinks are free.
>It's kinda more that I'd want to land a job at a cool company.
i work with small breweries now setting up their computers and helping engineer their equipment, so i guess i'm lucky.
>>
how the hell do I find places to play
>>
>>74032470
I'm a shut-in anyway. I hate travel, performing, promoting, etc. I don't even like getting attention. Music makes a horrible career. Just recording and self-releasing stuff is the good part already.
>>
>>74032492
Bars, restaraunts, companies looking for corporate bands, wedding bands, go to open mics
No excuse for you not to make something happen
>>
>>74032518
I don't have a band, I'm just a solo guitar player
I think I'd like to try an open mic night at some point, but I'm not sure how to find one, or find one that would like what I play.
>>
>>74032518
Depends on where you live though. Everything where I live is indie rock. If I want to do arty/weird electronic shit there aren't a lot of opportunities.
>>
>>74032514
>I don't even like getting attention
this is why i got kick out of a couple bands, i usually played keys, and while everyone would show up in nice shirts or some other bullshit, i'd always show up in sunglasses, a t-shirt, and gym shorts. one guy some asshole told me the reason why he couldn't keep on beat was "i was killing the vibe", and that's when i started frequenting music circles less.
>>
>>74031999
Ian?
>>
>>74032518
>Playing worthless bars in the middle of nowhere

Don't do this.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.