[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start with jazz? I want to listen to more jazz because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1497394587675.gif (295KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
1497394587675.gif
295KB, 500x338px
Where to start with jazz?
I want to listen to more jazz because I have enjoyed the little I have heard, and I'd like a broader base of knowledge for potential sampling opportunities.
>>
>>74029460
What genres do you like? Fav albums?
You're in luck that im on the board rn, so i'll help ya out
>>
>>74029460
Normally people would say to start with Kind of Blue, but while it's hugely influential it won't make much sense until later where it will click. As for getting deeper - I'd say start in the beginning of jazz and watch as it develops. A few reccomendations are Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, John Coltrane. It's pretty entry level, but following their work and of people that have worked with them, you can pretty much get anything you'd like.
>>
>>74029460
Jazz really evolved pretty consistently from the early 20th century up until about 1970, so I'd recommend trying a few of the big albums from each decade/style of Jazz and seeing what you like, and then going down the rabbit hole from there. Also Swing/Big Band is awesome don't avoid it.
>>
>>74029485
The only record I can even remember listening to is a recording of the koln concert by Keith jarrett
>>
>>74029554
I meant non jazz artists, genres and albums. If you liked noisy shit for example, you should go free jazz avant route. If you liked production and shit by Madlib, hard bop and modal jazz, etc

Keith Jarrett is a golden pianist though. Look up any of his 70s ECM albums
>>
Can someone recommend me some spiritual shit? I love The Epic, A Love Supreme, and Karma and I'm trying to evolve my taste and increase my exposure. Thanks.
>>
>>74029460
>potential sampling opportunities.
Stopped reading right there.

Fuck off and learn to play an instrument if you want the sound of an instrument you fagit
>>
>>74029554
Here's something a bit newer than the others mentioned, you might dig it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OEJ0wqt2g
>>
>>74029724
you probably stopped reading because it was the end of his post you dumbass.
>>
>>74029712
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satch
Coltrane - Meditations
McCoy Tyner's shit on Milestone label in the 70s
Archie Shepp - The Power of Juju
Roy Meriwether - Nubian Lady
Please listen to EVERYTHING Pharoah Sanders did after Karma—it gets way better
>>
>>74029611
If I had to boil it down, I'd say
Nick drake- pink moon
Radiohead- king of limbs, the bends
Joy division- unknown pleasures
Frank ocean- blonde
>>
>>74029871
Mingus - Mingus Ah Um and The black saint and the Sinner Lady
Art Blakey - Orgy in Rhythm
Miles Davis - On the Corner
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Sun Ra - On Jupiter
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFy5L11Umw
>>
>>74029900
Thanks mate, I'll give them a listen. If you don't mind my asking, what about my picks made you recommend those albums?
>>
>>74029871
>Nick drake - pink moon
Fantastic guitar playing right there. Check out:
Grant Green - Idle Moments

>Radiohead- king of limbs, the bends
Radiohead has always mentioned as a big influence:
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

>Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
constant grooves with various shit happening on top of them? the playing can get a bit chaotic but:
Ornette Coleman - Of Human Feelings

>Frank Ocean - Blonde
electronic effects used to create textures, maybe see:
Tigran Hamasyan - Atmospheres
>>
>>74029936
Mingus reminds me of Radiohead's jazz moments like Life in a Glass House
Orgy in Rhythm is a drum based album that hits hard and will give you energy
On the Corner is Miles' most abstract work that influenced punk, dnb, and most electronic
Herbie's album is kooky and youll just have to listen
>>
>>74029839
Will do.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.