[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the point of making music? what's the point

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_mr63jemaV81svd965o1_500.jpg (39KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mr63jemaV81svd965o1_500.jpg
39KB, 480x640px
what's the point of making music? what's the point of listening to music?

how do i balance my love for pop songs or pop elements in music in general, with my distaste of seeing music mostly as a way to "have fun" making/listening to it?
i'm not a pop contrarian and I don't want to be one at all, but how do i stop that feeling of emptiness, of lack of purpose, when i hear a pop producer whose songs i love say that they make music "for fun"? which difference is there in me shooting some heroin and listening to his songs? is there none?

and when making music, how to balance expression and catchiness?

please respond, im having kind of a crisis here and i know most people here make music
>>
Fun is legitimate, although it's not all you should be doing with music if it's supposed to be expressive. One thing music can do is capture the essence of an emotion.
As far as balance goes, you can just legitimately do what you want if you want it to be individual and poppy, since you like pop music.
Example:
https://bubblegumoctopus.bandcamp.com/track/soft-sun-spots
>>
read more adorno
>>
>>74013778
I'll listen to it with headphones in the morning, but it seems like it's a cool song

me, being the fuck i am, thought the ideal music was pure expression, so i made noise music which resonated more with that ideal. in reality, i rarely listen to noise electronic music. who would like to listen to music that's pure expression? it would be just a shitty abstract mess of sounds.

for example, i like kero kero bonito. one of the producers said their last song "is about global warming", really? how can the listeners tell? is it all just ironic, post-ironic garbage? what's the point of it?
even though, i cant help but just love what they sound like, but now i feel like the whole experience of music, of all the "music highs" and trances i experienced, just lacks substance

i need to fix this contradiction since i became aware of it, but I don't want to stop enjoying music

>>74013783
who's that?
>>
>>74013876
Political theorist who hated pop music.
Reading him wouldn't help you with your crisis, so I wouldn't if I were you.
Life's too short for allot of that shit.
>>
>>74013958
I won't read him for now, it's just that music is a big part of what keeps me alive. if i went deaf i don't know if i could take it. i don't want to think that there's nothing more to it, i don't want to stop enjoying it, I won't
>>
you sound really lost. take a couple days off the drugs big guy.
>>
>>74014082
it may just be that im worrying myself sick, it wouldn't be the first time, but i don't do hard drugs at all if that's what you think.
but maybe I'm making sense, and someone can answer me. i accept that making music is not about the same thing for everyone. if you want to see what alienated me go watch a yasutaka nakata interview called 10 rules, something like that. go see how that dude looks dead inside. still, i really love his songs with kyary pamyu pamyu, they're really energetic! so where's that energy coming from? just his desire "to make great music" "music he wants to hear" i feel cheated and i hope he's just shy and not showing his true nature.
like, it made me think that a strong desire to express something (pain, happiness, a desire for a different world) isn't needed to make music that is, to some extent, original and fresh
maybe whats needed is just personal desire for fame, and it makes me think less of music as a whole.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.