[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/17/ 15986952/archive-team-ba

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (251KB, 1988x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
251KB, 1988x1080px
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/17/15986952/archive-team-back-up-soundcloud-warrior-project

Let soundcloud die. Stop using it. It's a broken system. The only function it has right now is being a launching platform for independent artists to gain enough traction to be integrated into the mainstream (corrupt) music industry. By doing this, these talented and authentic artists are being stripped of their creative identities and are whitewashed and compromised of what makes them unique and what made them worth listening to in the first place. Look at what happened to Chance, Mura Masa, and XXXtentacion and countless others who are currently undergoing this sterilization process.

We need a platform that bypasses the system altogether. The goal shouldn't be a platform that attempts to pander to the established music industry, it should be a form of monetization that renders the estbablished system obsolete by eliminating dependency on labels and large distribution networks. People should be apprehensive of large music organizations by their nature, and should gravitate towards smaller DIY efforts.

Can anyone offer some models or practices that would allow for this?
>>
what if there was a youtube but for audio? people make channels with ads turned on, but the website gets partial ad revenue and the artists get the rest?

why wouldn't this work?

anyone have any better ideas?
>>
can anyone explain why we even need record labels anymore please?

it seems that with the internet and independent artists and entrepreneurship we can do solo everything that a record label would have done before online marketing was a thing??
>>
Soundcloud is BS. Just let people die. Natural Selection. It's like PEMDAS.
>>
File: 1497331494877.jpg (85KB, 489x945px) Image search: [Google]
1497331494877.jpg
85KB, 489x945px
>>
File: 1497676663653.jpg (142KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1497676663653.jpg
142KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>74006367
Isn't that what soundcloud is?
>>
>>74006418
then what do you suggest people use?
bandcamp?

?
>>
>>74006589
i don't understand how soundcloud monetization works, but the artists probably aren't making any money off of it, it's poorly structured, and there's a lot of incentive to post low quality shitty rip offs of other artists and generally garbage and bland material

i don't know if there's a way to discourage that though
>>
>>74006330
you just described bandcamp no?
>>
>>74006658
>>74006658
i don't use bandcamp, I don't know how the monetization works

is there anyone under the age of 27 who knows about internet marketing, digital distribution, alternative economies or crowd funding on here?

if you're older than 27 you're probably dead inside and corrupt so i don't want to hear your opinion.
>>
seriously can someone explain to me why we still use record labels? why can't we just do everything they do ourselves?
>>
/mu/ is only good for hate and memes

you guys are useless
>>
>>74006724
wow yer on 4chan get the fuck out you whiner little kid
>>
>>74007074
oldfag detected
>>
>>74006803
>why can't we just do everything they do ourselves?
Just take a look at yourself and you'll have your answer: it's because you and others like you are completely fucking clueless as to how to go about doing it.
>>
>>74006330
who is this semen demon desu
>>
>>74006724
None of that other stuff matters if the artist can't build a rabid fanbase. The ones that do can't be assed to do things themselves + get corporate $$$ thrown at them and end up in the music industry grinder
>>
>>74007232
that's retarded logic

I can make music, but I don't know how to market it. I shouldn't have to go to a label, I could probably find some guy who's good at it on craigslist, or at least good enough so that he knows enough and is willing to learn. Same with a graphic designer, social media manager, merchendiser, manager, etc. I can find people who are all good at that shit on the internet, it shouldn't have to be through some corporate office bullshit with people who overpaid for a degree and probably do their job half heartedly and hate their lives
>>
>>74007281
okay but what if we found a way to allow an artist to build a fanbase without using evil corporations who are just out to suck the artist dry and bend them to their greedy will?

I realize this doensn't exist right now. I'm not stupid. But the point i'm making is that we might have the technology to make something like that possible.

Soundcloud was a broken, incompetent prototype for something like that.
>>
I think we have to shift the mentality, for most artists success means getting signed by a major label, which for me usually signals the death of the artist. I think it's why music is so stale right now.

We have to change what the definition of success is for the average independent artist. What's a better definition of success?
>>
>>74007336
It's already possible. It's just more work than half these guys want to do. Most just want to make music and that's it. Corporations give them a fast track cause all their money and network.

t. poorfag trying to work with artist
>>
>>74007393
What would a platform that could make this easier look like? What's difficult about the process?

I might just make it myself if I can think of something worth making. I refuse to make a soundcloud clone though, the concept itself is garbage. It has to be something new and innovative.
>>
>>74007297
All the people with the skills you listed sought out stable careers in their respective field. Who is going to take a risk working with some random individual/no-name act when they can get a proper salaried position with benefits at an established company instead?
>>
>>74007474
People who want more out of life. There's people like that out there, I promise.

There's guys out there who spent thousands of dollars and 4 years of their lives because they had a real passion for graphic design, only to end up making shitty magazine color corrections for Colgate in local grocery store magazines and pretending to work most of the day. I realize some people are content with that, but there are others who want more out of life.
>>
>>74007474
this is the type of thinking one should avoid, it's a mark of complacency

these people have been pigeonholed into these slave wage labor camps called careers because they have no alternatives

i'm trying to think of ways to use their skills for something more symbiotic and in a field they care about
>>
>>74007433
A platform that offers discovery and monetization.
Plus being friendly to DJ mixes. Soundcloud removing the group function was a mistake imo too.

Other than that most other things can be done by the artist themselves. Their are ample things about social media marketing and grass root shit that will work the best for them, but a lot of them seem to think posting on soundcloud/ promo channels are enough.
>>
>>74007605
there are plenty of dj mixes on soundcloud
>>
>>74006589
kinda but soundcloud has absolutely terrible interface
>>
>>74006330
think of all the cool little accounts that'll be lost forever and all the musicans that'll give up hope once their only medium is gone. SC's not perfect but it's required
>>
>>74008094
soundcloud is garbage

there's literally a general consensus among producers that you can't make it on soundcloud unless you pay for subscriber bots at least a few times

also, there's way too much garbage on there. Even if you upload something you worked hard on, it's like pissing into an ocean of mediocrity

Every other platform is literally better.
>>
>>74006330
>FUCKING CAPTALIST OLDPIGS GET THE FUCK OUT REEEEEE

Get over yourself. Better yet, get a fucking job.
>>
>>74008219
wage slave
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.