[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Admit it: He has a unique sound that's distinctly his own

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 3

File: 587045987.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
587045987.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
Admit it: He has a unique sound that's distinctly his own and totally stands out among all other musicians today
>>
>>73951885
He fails at copying John Lennon. Fuck off. Your thread is shit.
>>
>aloha bruno mars
>>
>>73951885
i forgot who it was but there's another artist that sounds exactly like him so
>>
>>73951885
HE'S NOT FUNNY

the marc maron interview he did was p cool though
>>
>>73951885
He's the Ethan Klein of music sans a beautiful israeli wife.
>>
>>73951885
who's that other idiot from edmonton who ripped him off?
>>
>unique

Am I missing something. He sounds like inoffensive folksy music.
>>
>>73951973
His gf is so sexy
>>
>>73951885

he's very chillian
>>
>>73951924
How does he sound anything like John Lennon though?
I don't see any similarities
>>
>>73952000
he beat his wife
>>
>>73951885
>Admit it: He has a unique sound that's distinctly his own and totally stands out among all other musicians today
nope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mos_01Caq-8
>>
>>73951973
>>73951996
she looks like a jewish skeleton
>>
>>73951999
That is the most unchillean thing ever, bro.
*squints while taking drag from cigarette*
>>
>>73951924
i'm not sure i see the john lennon comparison on the whole, but i figure it's probably cause of the another one album(?)

if so, i can see where you're coming from, but it's not like john has some sort of eternal monopoly on love songs though, right? mac has an admittedly quite simple, yet still unique formula that has worked on every album from 2 to this day, imo. the songs go through some changes in instrumentation from release to release, but there's always gold gold gold.
>>
>>73952032
Her tits are top shelf stuff my man
>>
>>73952083
>worshipping a fucking jew
>>
>>73952083
they do not exist
>>
>>73952000
>>73952071
his voice is literally him trying to sound like john lennon. it's pathetic how hard he tries.
>>
>>73951885
he sounds like the beatles. not so original to me.
>>
>>73952107
>>73952125
He's talking about Kiki, lads.
>>
>>73951973
he did get here first, so to be fair ethan klein is the mac demarco of youtube
also
>beautiful
>>
>>73952107
>Kiera McNally
>Possibly the most Scottish-Canadian name ever
>fucking jew
Look, I'm jewish, I'd know that shit
>>
>>73952159
fuck off jew
>>
>>73952157
oh

yeah she's kind of cute i guess
>>
>>73952014
this is pretty good. thanks
>>
>>73952198
if you like that checkout their latest https://jawns.bandcamp.com/album/at-work-on-several-things
>>
>>73952014
this is a good song but mac still has a distinct and unique sound
>>
>>73951885
he sounds just like any other indie psychedelic rock/pop artist of our generation...
also how is reverb effect unique?
>>
>>73951885
I wouldn't know. far too much music out there for me to listen to anything presented/marketed the way he is
>>
>>73952222
damn thanks so much
>>
do you guys think we could make a mac demarco album using exclusively songs from other popular artists? i thought it was an interesting concept and i've got a decent start so far

john lennon - hold on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLOTD7wrbtQ

ween - freedom of 76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AayZgP3Lx0

a little more of a stretch but maybe michael jackson's lady in my life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc_KSe6FUoU
>>
>>73952312
lol fuck mac demarco. what a fucking copycat piece of shit.
>>
>>73952312
don't forget his biggest copycat of all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSfOB8ANdWU
>>
>>73952335
He fucking wishes he could even copy something like that.
>>
>>73952312
Neil Young
>>
>>73952335
this is perfect, we're adding it to the list

>>73952326
lol musicians are inspired and borrow from each other all the time. a fraud wouldn't be able to have a discography like mac's
>>
>>73952326
Lad, taking some artistic inspiration from the 70s does not equate with being a copycat.

We might disagree and all on whether we like his jams, but it's all NEW music nonetheless, right? Heard anything like For The First Time before? You see, he's not some Mozart who pops onto the scene so he can reinvent the game - he's honestly just doing what he feels like.
>>
>>73952409
>>73952481
you people are just copycats too
>>
how about little river band's reminiscing? i only pick it because they use a lot of those jazzy chords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyouflDC3UU
>>
>>73951944
Spookyghostboy
>>
>>73951973
Hula is fucking ugly bra
>>
>>73952014
this is literally the exemplary 'copping his style' wave of artists that came after him though
>>
>>73952735
true but if you can be easily replicated with minimal effort, you're probably not that unique to begin with
>>
He makes me feel better about being sort of mediocre at guitar. Take that how you will.
>>
>>73952180
(You)
>>
>>73951885
Half of macs songs are direct rips forms other songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIiYlHS0F0Y
>>
also op is exactly right, ever since salad days this board has shit on him nonstop because every douchebag with a floppy hat and vague musical ambition started imitating him
>>
>>73952312
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1quZbpgLh7w
>>
>>73952755
true but if you can be easily replicated with minimal effort, you're probably not that unique to begin with

Like you?
>>
>>73952886
indeed. that's not how you greentext btw
>>
>>73952907
I was replicating not quoting.
>>
basically, through all the memeshit and burned out aesthetic (that is, an overused aesthetic, not of a burnout), his songwriting is still there and thats why the others will fall by the wayside (lord knows many already have)
>>
>>73951885
he's not unique at all. all his songs have no staying power, the effects on his music make it sound dated the more you listen to it, because of how produced it is and how he's the only one on his records dubbed in a couple of times makes it feel cold and not lively. decent guitar player but he overuses the vibrato and chorus pedals to the point where if he makes more music with it, it blatantly sounds like everything he's already done and when you take it all away, his true colors are shown as a mediocre sing songwriter with middle school tier lyrics, average pop songs and uninspired song structures
>>
>>73952929
damn
>>
>>73952728
>>
>>73952728
I can't imagine how ugly your wife is with the terrible taste you have.
>>
>>73953010
I legit think she has brain damage.
>>
>>73953025
>browsing /mu/
>being married or in a committed relationship
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>73951885
he's the smiths 2.0 the furthest thing from unique
>>
>>73953053

lots of bands are jangle pop u melon.
>>
>>73953053
The Smiths are a million times better than that garbage
>>
>>73952312

this as interlude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6QPHWL-qSQ
>>
>>73953083
Real talk though, Mac isn't Jangle Pop, like at all. How do people even get that idea? He's generic indie with reverb.
>>
>>73953124
perfect, anyone got any else? this has been fun.
>>
>>73953137
>Jangle pop is a subgenre of pop rock[1] that emphasizes trebly, ringing guitars (usually twelve-string electrics)[3] and pop melodies reminiscent of those from the 1960s.

sounds like mac to me
>>
>>73953196
>>73953137
Damn son...you just got destroyed
>>
>>73952831
Which Mac song?
>>
>>73952312
this maybe?
https://youtu.be/9rEtF7kh_jI
>>
>>73952937
>the effects on his music make it sound dated
It's supposed to sound that way
>because he's the only one on the record it feels cold
I really don't think that makes an audible difference
>overuses vibrato and chorus
it lends to the "aesthetic" that he is going for. You wouldn't complain about black metal overusing distortion or some shit.
>true colors mediocre sing middle school shit uninspired song write structures average pop shit whatever
I really think his song structures are pretty solid, it's not progressive rock, ya know? it's just some simple 60's 70's influenced rock and he does a pretty good job at what he does.

He's not the first to do lo-fi rock, but he is a stand-out among those that do do it, and because of this a lot of bands use Mac Demarco as a sort of gold standard for what their lo-fi rock should sound like and this differentiates him because his influences are not modern and he isn't trying to be unique he just doesn't draw from modern rock.
>>
File: a0682188137_10.jpg (105KB, 864x864px) Image search: [Google]
a0682188137_10.jpg
105KB, 864x864px
>>73953352
>It's supposed to sound that way
i meant dated like it gets less interesting the more you hear it. i used to like mac when i was a teenager but his whole discography has gotten more and more predictable. with his latest release i can confidently say i don't like mac demarco anymore
> I really don't think that makes an audible difference
you would be surprised. you can tell he wanted it really tight sounding. there's virtually no looseness or improvisation not that there needs to be improv but lots of great musicians have real people playing and happy accidents come from that. if it's just mac playing each take over and over again until it's just the way he want's it there's really a difference in the feel of the music, the sound, and the playing of instruments.
>it lends to the "aesthetic" that he is going for. You wouldn't complain about black metal overusing distortion or some shit.
i don't listen to black metal so i'll use loveless for this example. they made that specific sound on that album, and each song is similar in feel but have very diverse tones and instruments/samples playing, like the keyboards, use of vocals as a lead in when you sleep, and some strange mario 64 ass sounding violin in touched. mac demarco hardly ever changes his sound nor does he try to experiment with sound or song structure.
>I really think his song structures are pretty solid, it's not progressive rock, ya know? it's just some simple 60's 70's influenced rock and he does a pretty good job at what he does. it's been done to death. do something different. i can't force him into anything but he's really not saying much when he's doing almost the same stuff done for 50+ years

i like some other ones though
>>
>>73953562
*it's been done to death. do something different. i can't force him into anything but he's really not saying much when he's doing almost the same stuff done for 50+ years

that wasn't supposed to be in the green text
>>
>>73951885
Steely Dan - Jazz influences + indie pop = Mac DeMarco
>>
>>73953562
I'm just saying when 2 dropped it was quite a unique sound, even despite the obvious influence of, and obvious similarities to, earlier rock, it's just that it after that the lo-fi rock scene blew up so much that what was once unique about Mac has sort of been lost in a sea of imitators. But I can tell you the real difference between Mac Demarco and most other lo-fi rock is that Mac uses the old equipment and heavy effects to make a sort of caricature of older rock and most other lo-fi bands are "shit we don't suck ass at playing and have absolutely no competence with our instruments what so ever. Let's just throw some effects pedals into the mix and now we are d0p3 AF, boi."

But this nuanced shit is nauseating to talk about. At the end of the day they both make lo-fi music, it's just that one is influenced by older rock directly and the others are getting it second hand.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.