[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what made radiohead choose sound over songwriting? they sounds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 586870362.jpg (166KB, 492x594px) Image search: [Google]
586870362.jpg
166KB, 492x594px
what made radiohead choose sound over songwriting?
they sounds cool but their music absolutely lacks substance
why is this so prevalent in modern music?
>>
>>73939572
The sound of music (not the musical) is a lot more immediate than chord progressions, lyrics, melodies. It's become a factor of composition itself.
What do you consider songwriting and how does Radiohead lack substance, in your opinion?
>>
>>73939622
>t. pleb
>>
>>73939647
How did you reach this conclusion?
>>
Words ARE sounds you fucking pleb
>>
>>73939622
behind their feel good sounds and goofy movements there's an underlying pop-ish and effortless work of composition that kinda kills their music after you listen to it closely. its like if you took away all their fancy pedals, analog synths, and soundeffects you would be left with a bunch of really simple and sonically tedious melodic and rhythmic practices. music that cant uphold itself alone and requires some sort of extremity to fascinate the listener. its like lyrical music such as folk. lyrics should be accessory to the music but this tends to be the other way around and stands very weak in terms of the music itself.
keep in mind I am not talking about radioheads entire discography just a majority and not all of folk music being that way also.
>>
>>73939667
Words are not sounds
words are CARRIED by sounds
think of words as units of ideas
sounds are frequencies
frequencies can be melodies and beats
ideas cant
>>
If it sounds good it's good, innit?

Anyway, the Patrick Batemans are up I see.

Fuck ya laters!
>>
>>73939689
That's one of the main complaints they have gotten from many people, I guess that after going for a more stripped down style with Kid A they consciously did that to give themselves a more unique image than other popular bands at the time, keeping themselves mostly accesible for future listeners and attracting the old ones and it definitely worked.
>>
"songwriting" is a meme used by folkfags to convince themselves their shitty music is superior
>>
>>73939748
>ideas can't be carried by sound
People can transmit joy, sadness, pleasure, lust, sorrow, space, dimension and an nfinite number of ideas and concepts through music.
>>
>>73939572
theyre the equivalent of an abstract painting

what do you see in a museum? Abstract art or tacky rip off of older classical styles??
>>
>>73939748
vocals are just another instrument you turbo pleb
>>
>>73939809
I guess I used 'ideas' synonymously with stories and concepts
what you mentioned are emotions
you cant explain to someone your gf broke a vase today and that your dad was an alcoholic
but you can tell them that you are sad with a i-iv-v
music cant say something but it can indicate or put you in a certain setting.
>>
>>73939877
>vocals
that is true voices can sing melodies with rhythm but the words that come with them are not the music
>>
sound>notes
>>
this is my feeling with most modern music as well, although instrumental edm can be quite funky

but stuff like the rolling stones and chuck berry, the songwriting is just incredible. the lyrics are catchy, provocative, artistic and meaningful
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.